C.J. Andersen released

LittleD

Reaction score
A top 5 overall selection who was known as an all around back picked up blocking and pass catching quickly? You dont say lmao.

Comparing Zeke to a late round rookie is..... Nevermind.

Why should we pick up a late round player. We might use a 4th round pick on one and there will be some good RB's available. Besides, Zeke is going to get 90% of
the carries anyhow.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The point is that there are at least 6 better RB's in the draft than CJ so why expend precious dollars for a player not wanted
by Denver, his own team.

Then your point makes absolutely no sense. Those 6 RBs are going in the top 2-2 1/2 rounds.

Why expend precious premium draft picks on a back up RB. You're wanting to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a back up RB? Gross.

Lol the "his team didnt want him" BS can stop now. It's always such a stupid argument.

links18

Reaction score
You guys need to understand the economics of the NFL today. You don't pay age no matter how good.
You let them go at least 1 year early and keep drafting the future of your team.

I wonder if Zeke will even be offered a second contract?

LittleD

Reaction score
Then your point makes absolutely no sense. Those 6 RBs are going in the top 2-2 1/2 rounds.

Why expend precious premium draft picks on a back up RB. You're wanting to use a 2nd or 3rd rounder on a back up RB? Gross.

Lol the "his team didnt want him" BS can stop now. It's always such a stupid argument.

I don't think that many RB's are going that early. RB's are a dime a dozen these days and you can find a pretty good one thru the 6th round of the draft
this year. Anyone we get is going to be a part time backup player so, not really a big need. We will be just fine without CJ. Why is it that every player
dumped by their team winds up being discussed ad nauseam on this board.

LittleD

Reaction score
I wonder if Zeke will even be offered a second contract?

Probably not... We will pay the 5yr option if he stays healthy and maybe franchise him for a year and that point let
him get his big money from another team. We will get the comp pick.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The point is that there are at least 6 better RB's in the draft than CJ so why expend precious dollars for a player not wanted
by Denver, his own team.
And we're not taking a RB with a high draft pick. We have too many other needs at this point. I don't have a problem using a 5th or lower pick on a change of pace back, but nothing higher. We would still need a good backup for Elliott and Anderson would fit the bill. The question is how much would it take to sign him.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
A top 5 overall selection who was known as an all around back picked up blocking and pass catching quickly? You dont say lmao.

Comparing Zeke to a late round rookie is..... Nevermind.

CJ Anderson was undrafted and we've got a thread with people hyperventilating over him. A late round back up running back isn't a bad idea.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did you actually watch Smith last year? He had one big run and the rest of his performance was below average. We need an upgrade at the backup RB position so if Zeke gets hurt or suspended again we are covered. Rod Smith had 55 carries last year for 232 yards but had 45 yards of that on 1 carry. So the other 54 attempts he gained 187 yards for a 3.4 yards per carry. Rod Smith is a JAG. Him and his brother are both overrated. I like him for special teams and that is about it. For someone so big he is very soft on short yardage runs. Several times on short yardage runs last year he spun and went back first.

The 1st 3 games were bad wiyhout zeke. But yhe last 3 when smith got morr carries and s different set of plays were much better. Like I said I'm not opposed to drafting a guy but I don't want to pay another veterans to get less than 10 carries a game

LittleD

Reaction score
And we're not taking a RB with a high draft pick. We have too many other needs at this point. I don't have a problem using a 5th or lower pick on a change of pace back, but nothing higher. We would still need a good backup for Elliott and Anderson would fit the bill. The question is how much would it take to sign him.

Bravo!!! At least one zoner who gets it...

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Bravo!!! At least one zoner who gets it...
I would love to sign Anderson, but it just depends on the amount we would have to spend. If we can get him on a team friendly contract, sign him up! We need a reliable backup that can get 8-10 carries a game and fill in if Elliott were to get injured and have to miss a game or two. Anderson would be perfect in that role IMO.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
His stats were decent. But he had some stinkers in there. I think the whole 1k yard standard Is sort of overrated at this point. I think Zeke nearly had 1k yards and he struggled last year and he missed 6 games.

Denver's offense was terrible last year (aside from the game with us when they looked like the 80's 49ers). They had QB and Oline issues all year.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CJ Anderson is pretty awful.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't think that many RB's are going that early. RB's are a dime a dozen these days and you can find a pretty good one thru the 6th round of the draft
this year. Anyone we get is going to be a part time backup player so, not really a big need. We will be just fine without CJ. Why is it that every player
dumped by their team winds up being discussed ad nauseam on this board.

I'll be you at least 6, but probably 8ish, RBs get taken before pick # 80

It doesn't matter that it's not a "big" need, it's an important need nonetheless. We only have one RB under contract after this season, and that player is Zeke who is a difficulty staying on tbe field due to suspensions. On a run first team, this back-up RB position for us is a "big" need in the eyes of those that follow the team closely.

Because those players end up being helpful every single year for a number of teams. This is the one and only thread I've seen for CJ Anderson.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
CJ Anderson was undrafted and we've got a thread with people hyperventilating over him. A late round back up running back isn't a bad idea.

And I never said it was. I'm a proponent to drafting a late round RB.

We need two more depth RBs

dckid

Reaction score
Zeke and C.J. would make for a very nice backfield.

What does CJ bring to this team? Don't we already have a cheaper better version in Rod Smith?
I am very weary about signing a RB that the Broncos cut. They have had a terrible running game for the past several years.
I would enthusiastically pass

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Maybe. But he's the running back they got rid of. They didn't get rid of Booker who they like.
They got rid of Anderson simply due to $$$. It's even been stated.

We can't risk having another season derailed by injury. Let's say Elliott misses 1-4 games this year as a result of an injury (heaven forbid more than that). Let's face it, RBs get hurt. Hopefully it won't, but would you like to rely on Smith and a late round rookie draft pick to carry the run game??? Not me. I'll take Anderson (or someone similar) if the price is right.