C.J. Andersen released

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Anderson has averaged 4.4 YPC for his career and has had two seasons where he's averaged 4.7. That's with a Denver team that has had Oline and offensive issues. I'll take that every day for my backup. He's also caught 146 passes in his last four years.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
They got rid of Anderson simply due to $$$. It's even been stated.

We can't risk having another season derailed by injury. Let's say Elliott misses 1-4 games this year as a result of an injury (heaven forbid more than that). Let's face it, RBs get hurt. Hopefully it won't, but would you like to rely on Smith and a late round rookie draft pick to carry the run game??? Not me. I'll take Anderson (or someone similar) if the price is right.
Thank you.

So far the arguments against him have been:

The Broncos cut him- Okay, how does that make CJ any worse of a player? If you dont know why CJ got cut then you dont know much about football.
We should draft a RB later- Agreed. Again what does that have to do with CJ? We have two spots avaialble on the roster left by McFadden and Morris
Poster always make threads about a player being cut- Yes posters do, it doesnt make him any worse of a player

ondaedg

Reaction score
Did you actually watch Smith last year? He had one big run and the rest of his performance was below average. We need an upgrade at the backup RB position so if Zeke gets hurt or suspended again we are covered. Rod Smith had 55 carries last year for 232 yards but had 45 yards of that on 1 carry. So the other 54 attempts he gained 187 yards for a 3.4 yards per carry. Rod Smith is a JAG. Him and his brother are both overrated. I like him for special teams and that is about it. For someone so big he is very soft on short yardage runs. Several times on short yardage runs last year he spun and went back first.

Way to bring out the facts to crush the Rod Smith fandom. Party pooper..

jujoboys

Reaction score
The 1st 3 games were bad wiyhout zeke. But yhe last 3 when smith got morr carries and s different set of plays were much better. Like I said I'm not opposed to drafting a guy but I don't want to pay another veterans to get less than 10 carries a game
Not really sure what you are talking about. Here are Smith's stats for the last 3 games without Zeke. Against Washington he had 10 carries for 27 yards, against Giants 6 carries for 47 yards but the Giants were already being routed in this game (garbage time stats), Against Oakland 7 carries for 13 yards. So, in those 3 games he carried the ball 23 times for 87 yards. Not realy impressive. The worst thing is that he could not beat out Alfred Morris for the backup spot and Alfred Morris can't even find a job at this point. Rod Smith is just your average straight line runner with no wiggle/moves. If the OLine opens up a hole he can probably hit it but don't loom for him to create plays. CJ Anderson would be an immediate upgrade if we could get him cheap and we could still draft a RB later in the draft and say bye bye to Rod Smith.

jujoboys

Reaction score
Way to bring out the facts to crush the Rod Smith fandom.
The most telling thing about Rod Smith to me. When Zeke got suspended the Cowboys decided to feature Alfred Morris as the starting RB and make Rod Smith the backup. Alfred Morris can't get a job and is currently unemployed so what does that say about Smith. We should alwasy be looking to improve our roster. IMO, we have one RB (Zeke) and a bunch of JAGs behind him. Zeke goes down and we are toast.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Criticisms of CJ that actually make sense:

"He'll likely get a nice contract from his former coach Adam Gase and we will be outpriced for a depth RB"
There's no position in football that gets shafted in free agency like RBs, but it could happen that Gase gives him a nice contract.

Wanting your depth RBs to play special teams- this is what would give me pause before signing CJ

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Criticisms of CJ that actually make sense:

"He'll likely get a nice contract from his former coach Adam Gase and we will be outpriced for a depth RB"
There's no position in football that gets shafted in free agency like RBs, but it could happen that Gase gives him a nice contract.

Wanting your depth RBs to play special teams- this is what would give me pause before signing CJ
We can draft a rookie RB in the later rounds to play special teams. I would like to sign Anderson AND draft a RB in rounds 5-7. That solves all RB issues.

John813

Reaction score
Dolphins signed the ageless wonder Frank Gore.

They could go 3 deep at RB in Drake, CJ and Gore, but I think they get a 3rd back in the draft.

LittleD

Reaction score
It doesn't really matter about CJ being released. The only way Stephen would be interested is that
if he wants to come to our team on a rock bottom prove it 1 year deal. Stephen only shops at Walmart
and the Dollar Store trash bin so all this speculation is just bunk and most here know it. The same
could just as easily be said for those expecting us to pay up for ET.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
We can draft a rookie RB in the later rounds to play special teams. I would like to sign Anderson AND draft a RB in rounds 5-7. That solves all RB issues.
And I agree, but I'd prefer all of the depth RBs to play STs not just the late round rookie picking up the slack.

I feel this same way about any FBs, depth TEs, and depth LBs. WRs are a little trickier when it comes to STs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They got rid of Anderson simply due to $$$. It's even been stated.

We can't risk having another season derailed by injury. Let's say Elliott misses 1-4 games this year as a result of an injury (heaven forbid more than that). Let's face it, RBs get hurt. Hopefully it won't, but would you like to rely on Smith and a late round rookie draft pick to carry the run game??? Not me. I'll take Anderson (or someone similar) if the price is right.
If Zeke gets hurt.....I have faith in Rod Smith and a rookie to take over for him.
Okay, now tell us why CJ was cut and not Booker. It's a very easy answer.
Because Booker has more potential and a better back at this point.

ondaedg

Reaction score
The most telling thing about Rod Smith to me. When Zeke got suspended the Cowboys decided to feature Alfred Morris as the starting RB and make Rod Smith the backup. Alfred Morris can't get a job and is currently unemployed so what does that say about Smith. We should alwasy be looking to improve our roster. IMO, we have one RB (Zeke) and a bunch of JAGs behind him. Zeke goes down and we are toast.

I agree. When I saw Smith run, I didn't see speed, power or elusiveness. I just never saw that flash of brilliance to make me think he could start or fill in for Zeke without much drop off. He is an ok role player but we need another rb with more upside at the rb position.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
If Zeke gets hurt.....I have faith in Rod Smith and a rookie to take over for him.

100% wrong.

I gave you a lay up, and you got rejected by the rim ugh.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
PFF had CJ Anderson as the 6th overall RB in the NFL last season.

So you can say "just draft a RB late" all you want. Just know some posters want good football players on the Cowboys. And a late round rookie has very little chance of being as good as CJ is currently.

ondaedg

Reaction score

I like Booker but I'm not sure he's better. He could provide similar output as CJ without the hefty price tag for them so it makes sense they let CJ go.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I like Booker but I'm not sure he's better. He could provide similar output as CJ without the hefty price tag for them so it makes sense they let CJ go.
Didn't he sign a 4 year 16 million dollar deal? That's not really that hefty of a price for a starting running back.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
So far, through two seasons, there's been zero evidence that Booker can provide even similiar output to CJ.

I had high hopes for Booker coming out of college, and he's had two opportunities to become to the lead back and he squandered those badly both times.

Booker isnt in the same stratosphere currently as CJ.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
PFF had CJ Anderson as the 6th overall RB in the NFL last season.

So you can say "just draft a RB late" all you want. Just know some posters want good football players on the Cowboys. And a late round rookie has very little chance of being as good as CJ is currently.
I want good football players too but I don't want to waste resources on backups when we have starters who need to be replaced. Sorry.
100% wrong.

I gave you a lay up, and you got rejected by the rim ugh.
So you asked me a question and I gave you my opinion...you should've just answered it for me if you didn't want to hear my opinion.

"Booker would give the Broncos offense a dual threat out of the backfield and in the passing game. He has been an effective runner at times while looking his best as a receiver."
"Entering his second season, the hopes were high for Booker, who was praised by Head Coach Vance Joseph during Organized Team Activities as the team’s potential lead back for the coming season. Unfortunately, a wrist injury suffered late during those sessions landed him on the physically unable to perform list to begin the year and hurt his ability to make an impact this past season."

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
So far, through two seasons, there's been zero evidence that Booker can provide even similiar output to CJ.

I had high hopes for Booker coming out of college, and he's had two opportunities to become to the lead back and he squandered those badly both times.

Booker isnt in the same stratosphere currently as CJ.
Bronco's disagree.

TruBluSince1982

Reaction score
So Rod should be cut, is that the consensus?

Rod averaged 4.2 ypc and Zeke averaged 4.1

Time for Zeke to be replaced as well?