Call it now... with their 1st round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys...

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Either by standing pat, trading down, or trading up, who is the first pick of the Dallas Cowboys in this year's draft? Go on the record. :cool:

S/CB JASON ALLEN, Tennessee
040920foot1.jpg

Mock Drafts: ESPN (Mel Kiper), CBS Sportsline (Pete Prisco), Pro Football Talk, Yahoo Sports, CDS, SportzNutz
Pros: Position of need, coverage abilities
Cons: Hip injury (failed physical), not fully developed at safety

LB BOBBY CARPENTER, Ohio State
photo01.jpg

Mock Drafts: Rafael Vela
Pros: Position of need, size for 3-4
Cons: Famous 3 LBs at Ohio State, which ones are most responsible?, coverage issues, ankles

WR SANTONIO HOLMES, Ohio State
image_1822376.jpg

Mock Drafts: Dallas Morning News (Rick Gosselin), Draft King, About.Com
Pros: Quick and fast enough to always be a threat to score, punt/kick return potential, replaces aging Terry Glenn
Cons: Size (5'11" 190 lbs)

OT WINSTON JUSTICE, Southern California
0929winstonjustice_216.jpg

Mock Drafts: Fox Sports 6.0, Draft Insider, Sports Outlaw, Scout.Com
Pros: Played RT through entire college career, insurance behind Flozell and Fabini
Cons: Struggled last year, character issues

OLB MANNY LAWSON, North Carolina State
main-1028816-634791.jpg

Mock Drafts: Pro Football Weekly, Fox Sports 4.0, USA Today (Chris Colston)
Pros: Position of need, played LB & DE in college, freakish athletic abilities, pure pass rusher
Cons: Lacks bulk against run

OT MARCUS McNEILL, Auburn
MarcusMcNeill2.jpg

Mock Drafts: CBS Sportsline (Dennis Dodd), MSNBC, USA Today (Jarrett Bell), Ourlads, Draftdaddy
Pros: Massive frame, dominates in running game, insurance behind Flozell and Fabini
Cons: Too tall and has problems getting upright, potential back problems

S DONTE WHITNER, Ohio State
image_1842265.jpg

Mock Drafts: Sports Illustrated (Don Banks), CBS Sportsline (Clark Judge), NFL Draft Countdown, The Football Experts
Pros: Position of need, physical, love contact, perfect size for free safety
Cons: Not used to being locked up man-to-man

S/CB JIMMY WILLIAMS, Viriginia Tech
VASD10209242200.jpg

Mock Drafts: USA Today (Experts Consensus Draft), USA Today (Nate Davis), Great Blue North
Pros: Position of need, excelled at S and CB in college, great height
Cons: Loses ground on smaller receivers

OLB KAMERION WIMBLEY, Florida State
199080.jpg

Mock Drafts: Sporting News, Fox Sports 5.0, 2.0 & 1.0, East Coast Sports, USA Today (Matt Pitzer)
Pros: Position of need, pure pass rusher
Cons: No experience at linebacker

POTENTIAL OTHERS: (INCLUDES TRADING UP AND TRADING DOWN)

CB ANTONIO CROMARTIE, Florida State
Mock Drafts: Fox Sports 7.0, Football's Future

QB JAY CUTLER, Vanderbilt
Mock Drafts: none

S MICHAEL HUFF, Texas

WR CHAD JACKSON, Florida
Mock Drafts: Fox Sports 3.0

OG TAITUSI LUTUI, Southern California
Mock Drafts: KFFL

S KO SIMPSON, South Carolina
Mock Drafts: USA Today (Jim Corbett)

RB DeANGELO WILLIAMS, Memphis

RB LENDALE WHITE, Southern California

OT ERIC WINSTON, Miami
Mock Drafts: CowboysZone

QB VINCE YOUNG, Texas

jps_tex

Reaction score
I'm on board with Michael Huff, for no other reason than the fact that Adam Schefler started the on-slaught of T.O. to Dallas newswhen everybody else, including Parcells' good friends King and Mortenson, were reporting that T.O. would end up in Denver, Miami, or Kansas City.

I think Adam Schefler has proven his worth and reputation, and if he is the one saying this could happen with Huff I;m going to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

:p: :p: :p: :p: :p:

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
jps_tex said:
I'm on board with Michael Huff, for no other reason than the fact that Adam Schefler started the on-slaught of T.O. to Dallas newswhen everybody else, including Parcells' good friends King and Mortenson, were reporting that T.O. would end up in Denver, Miami, or Kansas City.

I think Adam Schefler has proven his worth and reputation, and if he is the one saying this could happen with Huff I;m going to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

:p: :p: :p: :p: :p:
What's schefler saying? That we're going to trade up? Cause he's certainly not falling.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
I'm going with Holmes only because he looks to be the best available when it comes to #18. I'd love to see Lawson in the blue but I fear he'll be gone.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
I'm going with Holmes only because he looks to be the best available when it comes to #18. I'd love to see Lawson in the blue but I fear he'll be gone.
I guess you're assuming Chad Jackson is already taken at that point?

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
if Justice is there (and I dont think he will be) he'd be my guess....but I really think we end up trading down

David

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
theogt said:
I guess you're assuming Chad Jackson is already taken at that point?

Yup. Love to see one of those offensive tackles, though, in Dallas too. Rather have more linemen than receivers.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No way will it be a O-lineman.

Carpenter first choice
Lawson second choice
3rd choice? FS or CB

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
No way will it be a O-lineman.

Carpenter first choice
Lawson second choice
3rd choice? FS or CB

I think Carpenter is a safe bet for the draft since it looks like most of the best DE/LB types will probably be gone when it's our choice. Wouldn't be the glamorous pick, but might be best left at a position of need at #18.

1Ware1

Reaction score
I am going with us selecting Antonio Cromartie,He isn't a selection on the poll.I see us drafting him.I realley do.Allthough I am going to poll up and dream that Huff is there and available

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TruBlueCowboy said:
I think Carpenter is a safe bet for the draft since it looks like most of the best DE/LB types will probably be gone when it's our choice. Wouldn't be the glamorous pick, but might be best left at a position of need at #18.

Exactly.

And it's one where I think you could just plug the guy in at SOLB and forget about him for the season. He's ready.

Woods

Reaction score
I don't think Lawson will be there at 18.

I think we will draft Wimbley.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
So is no one picking Whitner because you think #18 is too high for him? Because of Davis being re-signed? Whitner seems like the type of players that Parcells loves.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
So is no one picking Whitner because you think #18 is too high for him? Because of Davis being re-signed? Whitner seems like the type of players that Parcells loves.
That and Jerry expressly stated that we're not taking a FS with the first 2 picks. It could be a diversionary tactic, but I doubt it.

I wonder if most of the people who picked Carpenter did so because they think that Lawson will be gone by 18.

edit: or because we trade down...

StevenOtero

Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:

Yep. :)

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Very simple. Mark my words.......

if we cannot move down for multiple picks...

any of the top rated OLBs. Simple!

We won't pick a day 1 DB -way too much cash wrapped up there already. OG is possible, but the ones that can make immediate impact will be gone by 18. Therefore BPA.... prob OLB!

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chrissyboy said:
Very simple. Mark my words.......

if we cannot move down for multiple picks...

any of the top rated OLBs. Simple!

We won't pick a day 1 DB -way too much cash wrapped up there already. OG is possible, but the ones that can make immediate impact will be gone by 18. Therefore BPA.... prob OLB!
There aren't any OGs projected first round. Maybe you mean gone by our pick in the second.

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
Sorry guys - late over here! No credible OG at that position. I was rolling 2 sentences together.... the tackles that are likely to have impact will be gone.

....actually now I'm thinking.... it doesn;t stop us taking OLs way too high, just because they are not projected for R1!!! ;)