Call it now... with their 1st round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys...

tyke1doe

Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
1. holmes = no because he is the best reciever in a weak WR class, why would you waste a pick on him?

He really wouldn't be a wasted pick. The question is whether he can be a starter. I say he can.
I would put him a bit above Mark Clayton, the Ravens receiver.

2. since we dont have 2 picks in the second to draft the two "deep" positions, we are going to have to take 1 of them in the first.

True, we don't. But with this deep a draft at those positions, I still think the Cowboys can get a starter in Rounds 2 and Rounds 3 for either position, linebacker most likely in the second and an offensive lineman in the third.

3. why dont you acknowledge that we have crayton, he is a solid special teamer and runs good routes, can go across the middle and is only in his third year. id rather be fill a starting position with our 1st pick than get some #3 or #4 reciever.

Crayton doesn't have the speed that Holmes does. I can see Crayton playing opposite Holmes in two years.

4. doesnt matter how many picks we've invested, BPA that fits our scheme, holmes shouldnt be looked at - like i said #3 or #4 at best.

You're entitled to your opinion. But what Holmes has going for him is that he has deep speed and he's play for a big-time program.
And while I agree with BPA, if the remaining linebackers and offensive linemen are of equal value between the mid-first and the second round, why not take the best player from another position.

Granted, I'm not a Holmes supporter. It wouldn't bother me if we passed on him. But it's just my opinion that the Cowboys will try to beef up their offense.

It's just one opinion.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
tyke1doe said:
He really wouldn't be a wasted pick. The question is whether he can be a starter. I say he can.
I would put him a bit above Mark Clayton, the Ravens receiver.

maybe not a wasted pick, but what would you rather have, a starting OLB to solidify our D and make us not have spend all to much focus on it anymore, or a potential future starter? id like to see our Defense solidified with a solid LB in round 1 to make everybody on it benefit as a whole. ware will benefit in the sense that a solid SOLB will be a good decoy that will take some pressure off of him, allowing him to be more open to rush the passer. our DBs will get better as we will have more pressure on their QB and our Dline will have it easier with another solid LB behind them.

now if we get holmes who gets better? Crayton maybe since they would compete for the #3 spot, but really nobody benefits from this. he would be nice to have in the future, but next years draft might address the WR position early. this year i say we stick to a WR on day 2.

True, we don't. But with this deep a draft at those positions, I still think the Cowboys can get a starter in Rounds 2 and Rounds 3 for either position, linebacker most likely in the second and an offensive lineman in the third.

our 4 big needs, in order are OLB, FS, OL, NT then you can bring in the need of WR and backup QB. but hey i see us drafting in this order OLB, OL, FS, NT.
we should try to address our biggest needs on day 1, so with 4 big needs and 3 picks, we need to choose which of the 4 we will address, and if we addrssed WR on top of the 4 thats 5 positions to fill with 3 picks. i say OLB round 1, OL round 2, FS round 3. the idea of filling a future need in this years draft with the #18 or even #49 scares me, i think with the first we should get a sure-shot starter and with the second atleast get depth at Oline or draft a FS to compete/start.

Crayton doesn't have the speed that Holmes does. I can see Crayton playing opposite Holmes in two years.

Crayton may not have crazy speed, but it has been proven that speed doesnt always translate into NFL talent. Crayton can run routes and that is how he gets open, Holmes uses speed. DB's in the NFL are much faster than in college and cleaner routes > speed when matching up against NFL DB's. btw you are comparing a potential first rounder to a 6th rounder. or pick #18 to pick #224. id take the #224 that is slightly slower than the #18 who cant run routes as well and is faster. but i agree that holmes would learn to run routes with a bit of nfl experience and will prove to be a solid WR in the NFL. id like to see him opposite of crayton but not because he is our first round pick in the 2006 draft.

You're entitled to your opinion. But what Holmes has going for him is that he has deep speed and he's play for a big-time program.
And while I agree with BPA, if the remaining linebackers and offensive linemen are of equal value between the mid-first and the second round, why not take the best player from another position.

Granted, I'm not a Holmes supporter. It wouldn't bother me if we passed on him. But it's just my opinion that the Cowboys will try to beef up their offense.

It's just one opinion.

i see your point, and holmes is a solid WR but is he really that much better than what we could get in next years draft? and is it really worth it to draft a WR in the first when we have bigger needs to fill? i like your idea of beefing up the offense, but id rather beef up our defense as each player we'd draft for our defense would make others on it better. and i think we can get a solid #4 in round 5-7. as for the future, TO plays younger than he is, crayton is young and has proven to be a solid #3 and could evolve to be a #2 very soon, and glenn he has prolly 2 years left in him. this gives us next years draft to look into the WR position.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
this game will always be about the trenches.

last year we loaded up on the D (particularly the line) and i loved it. this year the O-line gets our attention. i'd love to see Dallas trade outta the 1st completely - picking up extra 2nd & a 3rd and then use both 2nds to bolster a sagging O-line. tatsui, G, USC and jonathan scott, OT, texas - would be too sweet.

proline

Reaction score
I voted "OTHER", because I think this is a prime year and we are in the perfect position for a trade-down. I don't know who we will trade with, but somebody will fall and we will find the extra pick(s) we get in a trade-down in this deep draft to be worth it.

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
Santonio Holmes...(a trade down would be much preferred)

a. because it is a weak draft for WRs.

b. because it is a deep year for LBers

c. because it's too obvious we are taking a LBer.

StarHead69

Reaction score
DeAngelo Williams - RB Memphis State

Just Think The premier LB's will be gone and the BPA will be a RB

Zippy Speedster

Reaction score
CB ANTONIO CROMARTIE, Florida State
Mock Drafts: Fox Sports 7.0, Football's Future

I wouldn't be surprised if the plan was to trade down a few spots and grab Cromartie. Seems his name has been coming of a great deal lately where we are concerned. Either this way or we do the rational thing and draft one of the OLinemen. I'm just not buying the LB angle with so many young unknowns still within the equation on our defense. It would be like buiding a car from the ground up then moments before turning it over to see if it starts you backstep and start changing a bunch of the parts. We go DB to fix our oldest "ache" since Parcells has been here or we address our newest one, the oline.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'll say Lawson unless he doesn't make it, and if he doesn't, I say we either draft Carpenter or move down and get a safety and an extra pick or 2.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
jackrussell said:
Santonio Holmes...(a trade down would be much preferred)

a. because it is a weak draft for WRs.

b. because it is a deep year for LBers

c. because it's too obvious we are taking a LBer.

Although I would hope for a good WR to fall into our laps at #18, it aint gonna happen. And it isnt worth it. This definitely is a weak WR draft. But go and look at next years draft eligible WR's. There is Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith and Ted Ginn just to name a few 1st round possibilities. I would wait til next year to get another WR on the first day. This year we need all the Oline/LB help we can get...BTW I voted for Justice, thinking there will be a run on RB's and LB's before our pick...

jackrussell

Last of the Duke Street Kings
Reaction score
joshjwc9 said:
This definitely is a weak WR draft. But go and look at next years draft eligible WR's. There is Calvin Johnson, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith and Ted Ginn just to name a few 1st round possibilities. I would wait til next year to get another WR on the first day. This year we need all the Oline/LB help we can get...BTW I voted for Justice, thinking there will be a run on RB's and LB's before our pick...

Certainly one of my reasons why I think they could take a WR. When the pickins are slim, and you have the chance, you do. With a deep linebacking draft, there'll be someone to nab later.

Ted Ginn? Who dat?;)

Thick 'N Hearty

Reaction score
I think we trade down to a later 1st and take Cromartie. I know this isn't the popular opinion, but he plays corner and Henry is moved to FS.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
I think it is Lawson, but really expect any one of the OLB types. There are just a few of those guys that have top potential available. We can still get a good FS or OL in the second or third, while there is a serious step down from the top 2-3 OLB's to the next level.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
DB JASON ALLEN, Tennessee 4 1.38%

He's a safety and an injured one. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him go the second day. Great example was last year where guys like Ernest Shazor and Brandon Browner were thought to be locks in the second round and didn't even get drafted.

It's the curse of the safety.

LB BOBBY CARPENTER, Ohio State 75 25.95%

I like him as a football player, but I don't think he's the type of OLB they need.

WR SANTONIO HOLMES, Ohio State 18 6.23%

Love his speed, but Parcells doesn't like drafting WR's in the first round. They could find a speedster WR in later rounds. Punt returns is an area of need, but I've got a feeling Jamaica Rector is going to do something there.

OT WINSTON JUSTICE, Southern California 20 6.92%

I think the Cardinals or Eagles take him. Parcells likes the USC O-Line as he raved about it in a PC last year, but I think they feel defense is slightly more important than offense right now.

OLB MANNY LAWSON, North Carolina State 108 37.37%

This kid is a freak and it's who I voted for. His stock seems to have cooled off a tad lately. My guess is that teams think he's either a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 strongside LB (depending on the 4-3 scheme).

OT MARCUS McNEILL, Auburn 9 3.11%

His stock is dropping. Ran a horrific short shuttle time at his pro day workout which indicates bad technique and/or lack of explosion.

S DONTE WHITNER, Ohio State 2 0.69%

Man to man coverage isn't a big thing for Dallas since they have their safeties play quite a bit of zone defense. I still think they aren't looking for a safety in the first two rounds. Also, Whitner could fall much later because of his position.

DB JIMMY WILLIAMS, Viriginia Tech 6 2.08%

I think he's suited to only play FS in the league. I have him going to Baltimore.

OLB KAMERION WIMBLEY, Florida State 18 6.23%

Another fine player and he's probably my second best bet behind Lawson.

I'd probably only be upset if they selected Holmes or Allen in the first round.

Rich..........

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I think we trade down at least 10 spots, possibly out of the 1st round. OL will be the primary focus, with at least 2 picks on Day 1 used to address that area. OLB will be addressed at some point but I dont think it'll be early on.

So if I had to guess:
2nd round - David Joseph OG
2nd round - Marcus Mcneil OT
3rd round - Chris Gocong OLB
3rd round - David Pittman CB

garyv

Reaction score
Winston Justice if available at #18. Bank on this one.

Chrissyboy

Reaction score
JohnsKey19 said:
I think we trade down at least 10 spots, possibly out of the 1st round. OL will be the primary focus, with at least 2 picks on Day 1 used to address that area. OLB will be addressed at some point but I dont think it'll be early on.

So if I had to guess:
2nd round - David Joseph OG
2nd round - Marcus Mcneil OT
3rd round - Chris Gocong OLB
3rd round - David Pittman CB

I think, essentially, I would be happy with that scenario. Perhaps one of the high ranking centres as an option.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
PHP:
He's a safety and an injured one.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him go the second day.  Great example was last year where guys like Ernest Shazor and Brandon Browner were thought to be locks in the second round and didn't even get drafted.

It's the curse of the safety.

they didnt get drafted because they were both slow as mollasses..both guys ran horribly slow 40 times on a couple of occassions

HTML:
I like him as a football player, but I don't think he's the type of OLB they need.

Carpenter seems ideal for anyone's 3-4 defense, including ours...he has superb cover skills and is a very good pass rusher

PHP:
I think the Cardinals or Eagles take him.  Parcells likes the USC O-Line as he raved about it in a PC last year, but I think they feel defense is slightly more important than offense right now.

the defense still needs work, but if the OL isnt fixed it doesnt matter what kind of defense we have...the OL was one of the worst units this team has had since I started watching them in 1975

HTML:
This kid is a freak and it's who I voted for.  His stock seems to have cooled off a tad lately.  My guess is that teams think he's either a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 strongside LB (depending on the 4-3 scheme).

I wont complain if we draft him, but he is far from a sure thing and isnt the same kind of prospect Demarcus Ware was last yr...

HTML:
His stock is dropping.  Ran a horrific short shuttle time at his pro day workout which indicates bad technique and/or lack of explosion.

he really shouldnt be on our draft board IMO, regardless of round...same with Jason Allen...we've had too many guys undone because of degenerative conditions...they arnt worth the risk

HTML:
Man to man coverage isn't a big thing for Dallas since they have their safeties play quite a bit of zone defense.  I still think they aren't looking for a safety in the first two rounds.  Also, Whitner could fall much later because of his position.

I dount Whitner falls far...some people think he has good enough cover skills to play CB...he is a very good player...might not go in the first, but I bet he goes somewhere in the first 10 picks of the 2nd if he doesnt make it in the 1st...

HTML:
I think he's suited to only play FS in the league.  I have him going to Baltimore.

Williams is another guy I wouldnt have on our draft board at all...this is the guy I thinks falls like a brick on draft day

HTML:
Another fine player and he's probably my second best bet behind Lawson.

I'd probably only be upset if they selected Holmes or Allen in the first round.

I dont think we're drafting Allen regardless of the round, but I could see Holmes ending up here...he looks like a very good WR prospect...at worst he's our #3 WR and a dynamite return guy as a rookie...he's also good insurance should something happen to Owens or Glenn...I'm not saying he's my first choice or anything, but I wont jump off a cliff either if we take him...

David