Call it now... with their 1st round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Dallas Cowboys...

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Ngata falls and Bill can't resist.....may have to trade up a couple of spots.

After missing out on Wilfork, Bill won't let Ngata get away. :)

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
Things could change drastically in the next two weeks, but right now, Easter Sunday, I think we will stand pat and take Bobby Carpenter at #18. Lawson and Wimbley will be off the board, Jackson and Holmes will still be available.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
Things could change drastically in the next two weeks, but right now, Easter Sunday, I think we will stand pat and take Bobby Carpenter at #18. Lawson and Wimbley will be off the board, Jackson and Holmes will still be available.
I doubt both Lawson and Wimbley are off the board. I don't see Miami and the Browns taking both. I'd bet a significant amount of cash that Jackson is off the board by 18.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
theogt said:
I doubt both Lawson and Wimbley are off the board. I don't see Miami and the Browns taking both. I'd bet a significant amount of cash that Jackson is off the board by 18.

Well, they may not go #7 and #12 like they did in the CZ Mock yesterday, but I'm convinced we won't get a chance at either Lawson or Wimbley. You can't just look at the teams picking #1-#17 before us. Odds are high that one or more teams you don't expect will trade into that range to snag a player they covet. Manny Lawson, in particular, is the type of player (high character, physical freak, tweener) that teams move up to select, IMO.

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
Well, they may not go #7 and #12 like they did in the CZ Mock yesterday, but I'm convinced we won't get a chance at either Lawson or Wimbley. You can't just look at the teams picking #1-#17 before us. Odds are high that one or more teams you don't expect will trade into that range to snag a player they covet. Manny Lawson is the type of player that teams move up to select, IMO.

I wonder if other teams are also drooling after watching what kind of effect Merriman and Ware had on their teams as rookies this year. You find that right outside linebaker in your 3-4 and he does wonders. Used to be these guys dropped a little further.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
Well, they may not go #7 and #12 like they did in the CZ Mock yesterday, but I'm convinced we won't get a chance at either Lawson or Wimbley. You can't just look at the teams picking #1-#17 before us. Odds are high that one or more teams you don't expect will trade into that range to snag a player they covet. Manny Lawson, in particular, is the type of player (high character, physical freak, tweener) that teams move up to select, IMO.
What 3-4 team after us would trade up for one of these guys?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Yeah, I only see 3-4 teams being interested in Lawson because of his size.

Sitting Bull

Reaction score
theogt said:
What 3-4 team after us would trade up for one of these guys?

Lawson has said he thinks he could bulk up to play end in a 4-3. He certainly has the frame to do it. The guy is an enigma- he could go anywhere in the first to almost anyone. I hope he's around at #18, so Dallas has a choice if they are drafting OLB. I like Carpenter just a little better because I am boring and risk-adverse. I just want a starter.

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I think a snowball in hell has a better chance than Huff still being on the board at 18, and while I would like to see Lawson still there, I'll be quite surprised if he's still available, too.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Sitting Bull said:
Lawson has said he thinks he could bulk up to play end in a 4-3. He certainly has the frame to do it. The guy is an enigma- he could go anywhere in the first to almost anyone. I hope he's around at #18, so Dallas has a choice if they are drafting OLB. I like Carpenter just a little better because I am boring and risk-adverse. I just want a starter.
I feel the exact same way. I want to take Lawson but if I was really forced to make a decision that my job was based on I would probably pick Carpenter. Being a fan with absolutely no repurcussion I say Lawson.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
TruBlueCowboy said:
Either by standing pat, trading down, or trading up, who is the first pick of the Dallas Cowboys in this year's draft? Go on the record. :cool:

OT WINSTON JUSTICE, Southern California
0929winstonjustice_216.jpg

Mock Drafts: Fox Sports 6.0, Draft Insider, Sports Outlaw, Scout.Com
Pros: Played RT through entire college career, insurance behind Flozell and Fabini
Cons: Struggled last year, character issues

who on here took winston with our first pick?? didn't know lacewell was back in charge :bang2:

lspain1

Reaction score
Drafting at this position is hard to predict because there are so many possibilities. Who stands pat? Who wants to trade up if things fall right? I'm going to assume that there won't be too much trading by 18 and most (or all) will stand pat because too many teams are looking to trade down. Not enough value to justify the step up. Based on that the mocks will be mostly correct. So...I'll go with Carpenter. He fits, and he'll probably be there at 18.

DragonCowboy

Reaction score
Teague31 said:
who on here took winston with our first pick?? didn't know lacewell was back in charge :bang2:

junk did. Look at the draft board though. Eric Winston was the best guy we could get at that position.

I think the best thing about junk's draft was that we got another 1st rounder. Believe it or not, we're not winning the Super Bowl this year. With two first rounders, we could package them and move up alot to pick up a really good player, be it QB, or whatever...

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
DragonCowboy said:
junk did. Look at the draft board though. Eric Winston was the best guy we could get at that position.

I think the best thing about junk's draft was that we got another 1st rounder. Believe it or not, we're not winning the Super Bowl this year. With two first rounders, we could package them and move up alot to pick up a really good player, be it QB, or whatever...
I won't believe it. :donthear:

That was a good trade to get two next year though. The way the draft went was a bit "different" so there should be some better players available in a real draft if we were to be picking at that spot.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
if lawson is gone when we pick at 18, i say we trade down to the bengals so they can get J. Williams or T. Hill and we will take carpenter with the 24.

p.s. i have the pats taking a RB before they take a LB, i say maybe maroney or white/addai. if they take a LB i still see them passing on carpenter and taking wimberly.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
if lawson is gone when we pick at 18, i say we trade down to the bengals so they can get J. Williams or T. Hill and we will take carpenter with the 24.

p.s. i have the pats taking a RB before they take a LB, i say maybe maroney or white/addai. if they take a LB i still see them passing on carpenter and taking wimberly.
I think the opposite may be true. If LBs are gone by our pick we'll stay put and take the the best LB availabe. If Lawson, Wimbley, etc. are still there we'll trade down knowing that at least some OLB will fall to us at our trade down spot.

bobbie brewskie

Reaction score
theogt said:
I think the opposite may be true. If LBs are gone by our pick we'll stay put and take the the best LB availabe. If Lawson, Wimbley, etc. are still there we'll trade down knowing that at least some OLB will fall to us at our trade down spot.

thats what im saying, if wimbley AND carpenter are available at #18 we may as well trade down since the only other team that would draft a LB is the pats, and they have their eyes on wimbley newayz, from what i hear atleast.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
bobbie brewskie said:
thats what im saying, if wimbley AND carpenter are available at #18 we may as well trade down since the only other team that would draft a LB is the pats, and they have their eyes on wimbley newayz, from what i hear atleast.
Personally I'd rather not get "cute" as another poster put it and just draft the best OLB available at #18.