Call your shot. New HC

plasticman

Reaction score
Don't laugh, remember this is Jerry Jones......the next Head Coach will be the only one willing to take the job under Jerry Jones.... That would be Kellen Moore.

Yeah, it could actually get worse. When could it not?

Gaede

Reaction score
It’s not popular but I think Josh McDaniels might have the inside track.

That’s because Jerry said college coaches typically don’t win for awhile. So I think Jerry looks to the pros for a new coach and JM has been offered other jobs and turned them down.

Just a hunch

I think this is possible, for sure. I don't think Jerry's going to hire a college coach after saying that and considering he likely wants to win right away, rather than suffer a 2 year learning curve.

I'd say the candidates are Kubiak, McDaniels, Roman, Eberflus.

I think Eberflus wins in the end because of Jerry's comfort level

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Something I think we have to consider, Jerry and Stephen don't see Jason as bad of a coach as many fans ( most fans saying they'll take ANYONE over Garrett). In fact, in their mind, he's a damn good coach. So if this is your thinking and you're looking to replace him, you obviously want someone with a better record. The fact Jerry recently pointed out ( w/o being asked) the lack of success by college coaches in NFL tells me it's not something he just pulled out of nowhere but something he and Stephen have already discussed. Probably not in the context of replacing Jason but in general. Either it's big with them IMO. Just me, but this tells all college coaches w/o NFL experience have a steep hill to climb. They have to prove they can not only match Garrett winning regular-season record but succeed his post-season record as well WITHOUT any skin on the wall or proven track record.

The bottom line, if I'm hiring to replace Jason, I don't need a coach who can win regular-season games. Hell, Garrett was pretty good at that. My vet team is in a win-now mode. I need a guy with a proven playoff record. If you go back look at Jason's tenure, with the exception of one season, he had this team in a position to make the playoffs by the end of the season every year. IMO this the floor/starting point for my next hire. This is why I believe the next guy will have a strong NFL post-season record, maybe Super Bowl attached to his resume. I see......

Mike McCarthy
Gary Kubiak

Gaede

Reaction score
Something I think we have to consider, Jerry and Stephen don't see Jason as bad of a coach as many fans ( most fans saying they'll take ANYONE over Garrett). In fact, in their mind, he's a damn good coach. So if this is your thinking and you're looking to replace him, you obviously want someone with a better record. The fact Jerry recently pointed out ( w/o being asked) the lack of success by college coaches in NFL tells me it's not something he just pulled out of nowhere but something he and Stephen have already discussed. Probably not in the context of replacing Jason but in general. Either it's big with them IMO. Just me, but this tells all college coaches w/o NFL experience have a steep hill to climb. They have to prove they can not only match Garrett winning regular-season record but succeed his post-season record as well WITHOUT any skin on the wall or proven track record.

The bottom line, if I'm hiring to replace Jason, I don't need a coach who can win regular-season games. Hell, Garrett was pretty good at that. My vet team is in a win-now mode. I need a guy with a proven playoff record. If you go back look at Jason's tenure, with the exception of one season, he had this team in a position to make the playoffs by the end of the season every year. IMO this the floor/starting point for my next hire. This is why I believe the next guy will have a strong NFL post-season record, maybe Super Bowl attached to his resume. I see......

Mike McCarthy
Gary Kubiak

Well thought-out post. I agree.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm starting to think Syner and the Skins may offer him a deal he can't refuse..........money and total control.
He is isnt a good fit for thar franchise right now IMO. They have his QB, but they are still talent poor and in the very early phase of a rebuild. With Meyer's history, he cant be viewed as a long term option. Meyer in Washington may he similar to Parcells in Dallas. Buy the time the roster is remade to his standards, he will be ready to leave.

Where Dallas fits Meyer, is that talent wise they in a playoff window. The talent has been overrated, but this is still a team that should be counted on for 10 to 11 wins. Meyer is stepping into a window in Dallas to where he can compete. I don't think Meyer is going to have any interest in a rebuild. If there was a threat to steal, I think it would be Cleveland. He is a native Ohioan.

I think if Washington swung big in College ranks, I think Swinney would a better fit than Meyer

32BellyOption

Reaction score
There will be endless speculation but who do you think will be the Head Coach of the Cowboys in 2020?

My call: Urban Meyer

Who I want and who we get are two different things. Expect a retread or a career assistant. Along the lines of a Rivera, McCarthy or a Campbell or Norton.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think it’s time for Josh McDaniel to get another chance. He’s learned under Belichek, but he has also made that offense work ever season, sometimes focused on running, other times focused on passing. That offense has been pretty good without nearly the talent we have on that side of the ball, but we need to bring in a TE.

I don’t see Jerry ultimately going the college route again unless it’s agreed to keep most of the current coaches, and I don’t like that idea at all.

EJK24

Reaction score

Mike McCarthy
Gary Kubiak

Good post, makes alot of sense. I hear names thrown around out there that intrigue me like Meyer and Riley but, to your point, they may be looking at someone with a proven NFL track record, especially with playoff success.

If we go with a former head coach in the NFL, there are a few guys out there that could be a potential fit. Kubiak and McCarthy for example, may be fits here. I know McCarthy had Rogers and won a SB but many thought he should have won more, and they are probably right. The only thing I would say is alot of coaches out there, probably most, could have done better or wish they won more in there time.

I'm not advocating for McCarthy, Kubiak, Rivera, and anyone really but just want to point out that a previous failure or limited success doesnt mean they cant do better now.

I'm open to alot of the names we have heard, college included like Riley and Meyer. I just hope whoever comes here can bring their own assistants and get things going in the right direction.