Twitter: Calvin Watkins: As of Sunday afternoon, Cowboys and Dak are not close to a deal

glimmerman

Reaction score
people wanna rail on Daks opponents, that the level he faced was bad. My comeback is this, YOU STILL MUST RESPECT THEM BECAUSE THIS IS PRO BALL. Its a fine line between winning and losing. EXECUTING THE PLAY MATTERS. DAK DOES THAT TIME AND TIME AGAIN. Keep in mind Dak was expected to go the length of the field time and time again last couple years because our special teams stank it up..inept. Thats a tough task. IMAGINE what we can do record wise with a shorter field with this coaching and offense. a deal will be struck.
May be smart for JJ to bend a bit. If it’s with in reason. Our Offense should be better or the same, I believe despite our record we had a top ranked Offense. If our Defense plays better and I already know our ST will be better then this could be a huge season. The money goes up every year and watson and jackson are up next for contracts.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You cant increase the value of someone who hit his cieling in his rookie year.

Those moves increase the value of WHO EVER IS QB for the COWBOYS for the next 5 years.

If Dak performs at the highest level and Challenges Lamar & Pat for QB supreamacy . . . Which will happen if Dak is who you think he is.

Then so be it. . . Because if he is able to do it this year. He will continue to do it for the next 5 years. He will be worth it.

Last year did not prove anything. His stats were up but the Cowboys Struggled. That is not progress.

Last year proved showcasing Dak caused the team to struggle. He is a bus driver. In 2016 he was a running QB thats who he is . . . He has stopped doing this.

His value is going down not up. Maybe if he would sign a long term contract, he wouldn't have to worry about making carear decisions.

Hopefully Mike recognizes his only strength. And runs him into the ground. Because thats the only way DaK will bring any value. 2016 was better then 2019
And that's where we disagree. I don't believe Dak has hit his ceiling and he surely didn't hit in his rookie year.

And its not about who "I think he is". That's irrelevant here. The Cowboys need to know what Dak is at this point and what he will become.

And "showcasing" Dak wasn't a issue. The team itself sucked. You can sit here and blame Dak for that but no one with eyes would sit here and tell you solely it was Dak's fault.

I've said it time and time again. You guys can't sit here and complain about how bad the coach is, how overrated Zeke is, how bad Amari is on the road, how bad Witten has gotten, how the defense doesn't get turnovers and how special teams sucks.....but then sit here in the same breath and blame Dak for going 8-8. IT doesn't make any logical sense.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Yeah but you are aware where that tag goes by year 3?
Why do you keep insisting He will be on the team by then.

I know you got a 1000 "logical"reasons.

But all I seen this Off Season was Dak burning bridges with his Biggest Fan . . . Jerry.

If He plays on Franchise Tag He will not be on the team next year.

He is lucky with the lockdown and no practices. Believe that.

Because He would already have been exposed.

FACT: DAK IS TERRIABLE AT PRACTICE

NotForLong

Reaction score
Your argument is still flawed. So in your scenario the Owners, scouts and GM don't have faith in Dak....but the players do?

1.Owners, scouts and GM don't have faith in Dak.. (cutting Dak would be based on saving Money)

2.but the players do? (Players would be about Loyalty)

Could you imagine. Stephen A. Smith would have the New Spokesman of the Team . . . McCoy on yapping about what Jerry should do and the whole Frachise would be torn apart and Andy would be set up for failure.

Your original question to Pappy was about What Politics? I tried to explain the nature of locker room politics

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Why do you keep insisting He will be on the team by then.

I know you got a 1000 "logical"reasons.

But all I seen this Off Season was Dak burning bridges with his Biggest Fan . . . Jerry.

If He plays on Franchise Tag He will not be on the team next year.

He is lucky with the lockdown and no practices. Believe that.

Because He would already have been exposed.

All you "seen"? And where did you "see" this? Did you hear it from Jerry himself? Or Stephen? Or just gossip rags?

And if he plays on the tag this year its very likely he plays on the tag next year.

Dak is terrible at practice? What on earth does that have to do with anything? And how would you know how good or bad he's at practice? You take your hate for him to a whole different level.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
1.Owners, scouts and GM don't have faith in Dak.. (cutting Dak would be based on saving Money)

2.but the players do? (Players would be about Loyalty)

Could you imagine. Stephen A. Smith would have the New Spokesman of the Team . . . McCoy on yapping about what Jerry should do and the whole Frachise would be torn apart and Andy would be set up for failure.

Your original question to Pappy was about What Politics? I tried to explain the nature of locker room politics
So the players won't be loyal to themselves but they'd be loyal to Dak? I mean that's what you're saying right? They think Dak sucks but they want to be loyal to him so they'd rather lose with him than without him? Is that the logic you're going with?

MarcusRock

Reaction score

7yfr.gif

Now what if we talked about spelling? Lol.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It was never going to happen. Teams who believe they have a franchise QB find a way to get this thing done. If the Cowboys don't get this done then at this point they are telling you they are not completely sold on Dak. I guess they have 3 days left

People love to keep telling themselves that despite all evidence to the contrary. :rolleyes:

When the team wants a longer deal than the player they are sold on the player, even if you're not. The Cowboys would love to do a Mahomes type deal - THEY are the ones who want a long-term contract. For whatever reason Dak wants a shorter one, which makes it harder to manage under the cap. I expect him to play on the tag this season.

Eanwen

Reaction score
A major mistake by BOTH sides NOT to get this done by July 15.......I'm blaming everyone involved. Makes no sense at all.......IMO

I'm not reading this whole thread but when was the last time the two sides even discussed a deal? Last I heard they hadn't spoken in months. If they haven't spoken of course they are no closer to getting a deal done lol.

7/15 can't get here soon enough.

NotForLong

Reaction score
. The Cowboys need to know what Dak is at this point and what he will become.

They have been waiting for him to develope. While the whole time providing pieces to assist Dak.

Last year was not Progress. Jerry Jones is sobering up to that fact. Dak's greed has caused Jerry to look at Dak in a new light.

The Truth of what Dak is has become glaringly clear. He was a bad gamble in 2016 that never justified itself. I believe Jerry has comed to terms with that.

Dak is not the Future. He is a junk bond that never Matured.
And "showcasing" Dak wasn't a issue. The team itself sucked. You can sit here and blame Dak for that but no one with eyes would sit here and tell you solely it was Dak's fault.

You all cheering your boy on talking about 5000 yds and then talking out the side of your mouth damning and cursing the rest of the team.

I've said it time and time again. You guys can't sit here and complain about how bad the coach is, how overrated Zeke is, how bad Amari is on the road, how bad Witten has gotten, how the defense doesn't get turnovers and how special teams sucks.....but then sit here in the same breath and blame Dak for going 8-8. IT doesn't make any logical sense.

I criticized the Coach because to me he was a fraud with a very small football IQ. His Investment in Dak proved he was an Idiot.

I love the Team. I feel we have alot of talent. I see the hard work Amari put in. And the beating Zeke took. I believed the Field goal kicker was taking way too many attempts. I always thought Daks ability to turn long drives into field goals hampers the Defense.

2 things I have begged for DT and Saftey was addressed (Fantasy would be Adams) which will help the whole team, especially in turnovers. You have to crash the middle and have Safteys that can jump the routes of TE's and slot receivers and or RB.

But even with those weaknesses the team was still competitive. No turnovers but competitive.

So i dont judge the team by turnovers, especially not to call a defense trash for that reason.

No not me I like my team.

I even like Dak, i would like to see him play like Lamar. Like his Rookie year.

Play all out like He's trying to keep a Pro Bowler on the Bench. None of this pet gloves Jason Garrett's pet project crap.

I want 10 Rushing Td's (and none of those 1 yd QB dives he Voltures from Zeke. They dont count)

I want plays to break down and then I wanna see little dump offs. Because thats what DK is thats what he excels at.

If Dak thinks he is gonna go through 3 weeks of practice. Head to Head with Andy and come out as Mike's starting QB he is mistaken.

HERE'S A FACT:

Since Dak has been in the league I have heard of Dak improving . . . Each and every time I have been hopeful. But each and every time I waited to hear reports out of training camp.

And sure enough I would hear Dak doesnt look good . . . But out of the other side of thier mouths they would say Oh well Dak always looks bad in practice. But he has that "SOMETHING" where he gets it done in the GAMES.

So last year I watched Dak pad his Stats in Garbage time. But never did I see that "SOMETHING" that won games.

I saw alot of stalled drives inside the 30. How many times was the kicker asked to kick 60 yd field goals..

I saw Zeke and Amari break down from carrying the team. Have you ever watched how hard Amari works to get open for Dak. You all criticize Amari for what he did at the End of the season. But I saw a tired Warrier.

I couldnt imagine another WR that could work with Dak. You really have to be open for Dak because there is a 3 foot radius of where hos pass may end uo.

He literally destroyed the carear of one of the biggest Monsters ever to Play WR. If Denis Rodman or Charles Barkley played football they would be Dez Bryant. But sadly Dak could not get the Ball to him. (Then Achiles finished Dez off, lets not rewrite history and act like nobody wanted him. He had joined Drew Brees and was gonna tear it up as the perfect outlet #2)

I saw a defense that never played with a lead which never gave them the opportunity to be aggressive.

Poor Zeke not only was he robbed of the rookie of the year award Now to add insult to injury, there are Dak Fans throwing Zeke under the Bus

When will the MADNESS END.

Please Jerry stay strong.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I did preface my quote by saying teams that think they have a franchise QB. Did i not?

Again you're shaping your logic to fit your desire to see Prescott gone. You don't want to admit that even if Prescott plays this season on the tag that it's not a automatic forgone conclusion that he will be gone or replaced at anytime by Dalton.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They have been waiting for him to develope. While the whole time providing pieces to assist Dak.

Last year was not Progress. Jerry Jones is sobering up to that fact. Dak's greed has caused Jerry to look at Dak in a new light.

The Truth of what Dak is has become glaringly clear. He was a bad gamble in 2016 that never justified itself. I believe Jerry has comed to terms with that.

Dak is not the Future. He is a junk bond that never Matured.

You all cheering your boy on talking about 5000 yds and then talking out the side of your mouth damning and cursing the rest of the team.

I criticized the Coach because to me he was a fraud with a very small football IQ. His Investment in Dak proved he was an Idiot.

I love the Team. I feel we have alot of talent. I see the hard work Amari put in. And the beating Zeke took. I believed the Field goal kicker was taking way too many attempts. I always thought Daks ability to turn long drives into field goals hampers the Defense.

2 things I have begged for DT and Saftey was addressed (Fantasy would be Adams) which will help the whole team, especially in turnovers. You have to crash the middle and have Safteys that can jump the routes of TE's and slot receivers and or RB.

But even with those weaknesses the team was still competitive. No turnovers but competitive.

So i dont judge the team by turnovers, especially not to call a defense trash for that reason.

No not me I like my team.

I even like Dak, i would like to see him play like Lamar. Like his Rookie year.

Play all out like He's trying to keep a Pro Bowler on the Bench. None of this pet gloves Jason Garrett's pet project crap.

I want 10 Rushing Td's (and none of those 1 yd QB dives he Voltures from Zeke. They dont count)

I want plays to break down and then I wanna see little dump offs. Because thats what DK is thats what he excels at.

If Dak thinks he is gonna go through 3 weeks of practice. Head to Head with Andy and come out as Mike's starting QB he is mistaken.

HERE'S A FACT:

Since Dak has been in the league I have heard of Dak improving . . . Each and every time I have been hopeful. But each and every time I waited to hear reports out of training camp.

And sure enough I would hear Dak doesnt look good . . . But out of the other side of thier mouths they would say Oh well Dak always looks bad in practice. But he has that "SOMETHING" where he gets it done in the GAMES.

So last year I watched Dak pad his Stats in Garbage time. But never did I see that "SOMETHING" that won games.

I saw alot of stalled drives inside the 30. How many times was the kicker asked to kick 60 yd field goals..

I saw Zeke and Amari break down from carrying the team. Have you ever watched how hard Amari works to get open for Dak. You all criticize Amari for what he did at the End of the season. But I saw a tired Warrier.

I couldnt imagine another WR that could work with Dak. You really have to be open for Dak because there is a 3 foot radius of where hos pass may end uo.

He literally destroyed the carear of one of the biggest Monsters ever to Play WR. If Denis Rodman or Charles Barkley played football they would be Dez Bryant. But sadly Dak could not get the Ball to him. (Then Achiles finished Dez off, lets not rewrite history and act like nobody wanted him. He had joined Drew Brees and was gonna tear it up as the perfect outlet #2)

I saw a defense that never played with a lead which never gave them the opportunity to be aggressive.

Poor Zeke not only was he robbed of the rookie of the year award Now to add insult to injury, there are Dak Fans throwing Zeke under the Bus

When will the MADNESS END.

Please Jerry stay strong.

I'm not reading all of this man is it drivel or are you actually debating with facts and not just about your opinion how Dak sucks? We know you think he sucks. We get it. But this organization doesn't feel that way so if you want to debate from that perspective then fine. But I'm not going to argue with you on whether or not Dak is good. We've been down that path the past 2 years........

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Again you're shaping your logic to fit your desire to see Prescott gone. You don't want to admit that even if Prescott plays this season on the tag that it's not a automatic forgone conclusion that he will be gone or replaced at anytime by Dalton.
This is the issue I'm having. I'm fine with debating this issue but some of these guys are either trolling or have convinced themselves of what they want to happen. It is very possible for this team to tag Dak twice. I wouldn't do it but money-wise its not the worst idea. Now for a third time that makes it essentially impossible.

NotForLong

Reaction score
All you "seen"? And where did you "see" this? Did you hear it from Jerry himself? Or Stephen? Or just gossip rags?.
Either there is Truth to what we have heard or there is No Truth. From what I have heard Dak is jerking Jerry around. . . Hence the term burning Bridges. . . Jerry is his last Fan.

Dak is terrible at practice? What on earth does that have to do with anything? And how would you know how good or bad he's at practice? You take your hate for him to a whole different level.

Everyone knows this. How long have you been Fan?

As far as this question:
What on earth does that have to do with anything?

Everything? Mike has no reason to continue on with him.

I know its hard to believe and you are so reeked you cant even wrap your mind around it . . . You can only rationalize it as a made up accusation steming form systemic Dak Hate

But it's a thing . . . Every year Dak shows up and stinks up the joint in practice and then Garrett sugar coats it with a big goofy smile

Mike was not brought in to do this.

And andy Dalton assures him that he has options.

If not for covid we would be hearing good things about Andy

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Either there is Truth to what we have heard or there is No Truth. From what I have heard Dak is jerking Jerry around. . . Hence the term burning Bridges. . . Jerry is his last Fan.

Everyone knows this. How long have you been Fan?

As far as this question:
What on earth does that have to do with anything?

Everything? Mike has no reason to continue on with him.

I know its hard to believe and you are so reeked you cant even wrap your mind around it . . . You can only rationalize it as a made up accusation steming form systemic Dak Hate

But it's a thing . . . Every year Dak shows up and stinks up the joint in practice and then Garrett sugar coats it with a big goofy smile

Mike was not brought in to do this.

And andy Dalton assures him that he has options.

If not for covid we would be hearing good things about Andy

I've heard a lot of things about Dak. I've heard he's this....I've heard he's that. But I never heard anyone say "He's bad at practice". Who are your sources? You never disclosed them.

I don't know what your fascination is with Dalton. I don't know if its simply because its someone other than Dak or if you really think so highly of him as a quarterback.

aikemirv

Reaction score
1000%........makes me wonder if something going on behind close doors that may have impact their thinking. ( Dalton and/or current financial state of the league). The logics aren't adding up.......remember Stephen said a couple of months ago " we need to land this plane".
Or maybe McCarthy gave them a different opinion of the value of Dak.

NotForLong

Reaction score
So the players won't be loyal to themselves but they'd be loyal to Dak? I mean that's what you're saying right? They think Dak sucks but they want to be loyal to him so they'd rather lose with him than without him? Is that the logic you're going with?
No, I said Dak has friends that are fellow players. A hypothetical dumping of Dak is out of the Question because of Locker room politics which would lead to low Locker room morale and What new coach wants to go through that type of drama.

Some teams never recover from this

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
[QUOTE="gjkoeppen, post: 10287468, member: 39929"]Again you're shaping your logic to fit your desire to see Prescott gone. You don't want to admit that even if Prescott plays this season on the tag that it's not a automatic forgone conclusion that he will be gone or replaced at anytime by Dalton.
.[/QUOTE]
Ok lets go back and recap since you have a comprehension problem shall we.

In post #17 of this thread Catch 17 said

"No telling what the price is now after Mahomes deal..

I’m becoming optimistic that Dallas is going to replace him if the opportunity presents itself.

If it doesn’t then we will see him play the next 2 seasons on the tag."

I quoted him in post #5 and responded with

"I agree with you and next seasons draft they will draft his replacement and ease him into the lineup"

You jumped into the conversation in post # 78 and said

"So tell me if the Cowboys end up with a 12-4 or 11-5 record and get into the playoffs which means they will draft toward the end of the round, just who will this QB be? And then In 2021 Prescott and the Cowboys start off 4-1 or 5-1 just when would this golden replacement start? I mean if you can speculate one way shouldn't others be able to speculate another way?"

I responed in post # 98 with

"Well obviously by my post i don't expect to finish 12-4 or 11-5 and yes you are free to speculate in any way you like"

And in post #99 i responded to your post #79 where you said

"So teams that think they have a star player don't apply the tag 2 years in a row.? Gee I remember Lawrence getting tagged in 2018 and playing on that tag and then got tagged again for 2019 but just days later sign his long term contract. Tell me when did Jerry and Stephen tell you that they really don't want Prescott? Those that don't like Prescott will use any rationale that gets Prescott out of Dallas even if there is nothing said by anyone in the Cowboys organization to support that rationale. Before you jump back with me being some big Prescott fan, I'm not but I also don't think he's anywhere close to being as bad as those that want to get rid of Prescott do."

With

"I did preface my quote by saying teams that think they have a franchise QB. Did i not?"

You want to try and rewrite some more history? It's all there to read

NotForLong

Reaction score
People love to keep telling themselves that despite all evidence to the contrary. :rolleyes:

When the team wants a longer deal than the player they are sold on the player, even if you're not. The Cowboys would love to do a Mahomes type deal - THEY are the ones who want a long-term contract. For whatever reason Dak wants a shorter one, which makes it harder to manage under the cap. I expect him to play on the tag this season.

The team wants a longer deal so they can work thier magic. Havent we all marveled at the way Stephen has been writing these contracts.

Everyone has played ball with Jerry except for Dak. He has taken it to another level based on greed and inflated ego.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, I said Dak has friends that are fellow players. A hypothetical dumping of Dak is out of the Question because of Locker room politics which would lead to low Locker room morale and What new coach wants to go through that type of drama.

Some teams never recover from this
Interesting.....so did Byron Jones not have any friends? Just curious.