Twitter: Calvin Watkins: As of Sunday afternoon, Cowboys and Dak are not close to a deal

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Haha fair. Apologies I misread your post.
I thought you were being funny lol that's why I responded like that. But yeah I don't by he's auditioning....I think at this point you have to judge Dak on what his floor is...and his floor. Impossible to know his ceiling.

cern

Reaction score
Makes sense. Waste another year of this teams prime.....why not? Wasted 10 years with Garrett. Wasted Ware, Romo and Witten's prime years....why not waste Zeke, Lawrence, LVE years too. Makes sense.........
Sarcasm?

Swagger

Reaction score
There's no "commotion" following Dak. The only people that even discuss Dak's contract are "talking heads" and fans.

And I disagree about Dalton. His career has been riddled with mediocrity. You can try and sell that this organization is like the Patriots and can win with anyone at quarterback but I don't hold this organization in the same light.
Taking over 18 months to agree on a new long term contract is embarrassing and it's not all on the front office. It's a bad look, it's unprofessional and from the information that we do know, delusional on behalf of the player.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
yes, but when you cannot stop the run or the pass, you have no chance. NOT to mention the piss poor situational playcalling. Dak ran the offense with what was sent in to him, and he did it well.

You see that's where i get aggravated, it's just not true Cowboys D was ranked 9th overall last year, 10th against the pass, 11th against the rush and 10th in points per game allowed

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team/_/view/defense/table/passing/sort/netYardsPerGame/dir/asc

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dak probably would have signed the deal last year if it wasn't for those 1st 3 games where he played lights out and his agent decided to up the anti.Then Dak went 5-8 after that, not looking as good. Yes, it's a team sport, but why would you spend such a huge % of your cap on a QB who did not lift them up beyond 5-8 for the rest of the season.

The FO then made a mistake giving Dak the exclusive tag vs the transitional, probably as an act of good faith, then Dak's and his team blew it up in their face. That is when the FO and coaches probably started thinking, can we do this without Dak and save a bunch? Maybe Dak's rookie year is even working against him now, where you see low round draft picks coming into the league and showing success, now we have Dalton as insurance.

If both side don't come to a mutual agreement in a couple of days, I can see a couple of possibilities.

1. Don't be shocked if Dak get traded before the season starts.
2. If he plays through the tag and we win the superbowl, or at least get there he gets paid on his terms.
3. If he doesn't get to the NFCCG and have a top 10 year, but not top 3 he will get the transitional tag next year.
4. If he doesn't get to the NFCCG and have a top 10 year, but not top 3 he will sign a more team friendly deal.

John813

Reaction score
In two days we'll go from will he sign a long term deal or not, to endless conspiracy theory threads on if the Cowboys hate Dak or vice versa, if he doesn't sign a deal.

And if he does sign a deal, we'll get endless overpaid/underpaid threads with specific stats or hearsay to support the arguments.

Rayman70

Reaction score
In two days we'll go from will he sign a long term deal or not, to endless conspiracy theory threads on if the Cowboys hate Dak or vice versa, if he doesn't sign a deal.

And if he does sign a deal, we'll get endless overpaid/underpaid threads with specific stats or hearsay to support the arguments.
bingo

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Taking over 18 months to agree on a new long term contract is embarrassing and it's not all on the front office. It's a bad look, it's unprofessional and from the information that we do know, delusional on behalf of the player.
Its not embarrassing. People are just impatient. We live in a fast paced world where we want everything NOW. There was absolutely no reason or this deal to be done any sooner than it will be. There are deadlines for a reason. Cowboys could've either done this move early or done it late. It was up to them to determine how much they wanted to pay and win.

But if I'm negotiating a deal why would I do it in March when I have July 15th deadline? Makes sense for me to wait until the 15th to get the best deal available?

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Link???????

FYI .........Dakota is his middle name. Has nothing to do he or his mother being part Native American. They are not........
I don’t have a link just google Dak Prescott Native American about 4 articles explain it.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think this is a 1 phone call deal. They settled on the money but are stuck on the length. JJ will call and say ok, we will drop the 5th year. And it’s done. If the phone call isn’t made then it seems either something is going on. Could be some bad blood with the agent and JJ or SJ or financial problems from the virus possibly, maybe worried about the cap not going up next year. They may want to wait and see what happens with the money and pay him 31 this year.

Or maybe Daks agent just wants to much. He may want 40 a year. If the current offer is 36 and Daks agent waited till after the 3rd game and turned it down because Dak did very well then this is a problem. They know that JJ in the past has always folded so ask for it and at the last second JJ will cave. Guessing it’s the plan. D-Law played out his contract and played under the tag and then stood tough and got played. Maybe the agents plan for Dak. Hope he don’t get a bad injury.

Rayman70

Reaction score
people wanna rail on Daks opponents, that the level he faced was bad. My comeback is this, YOU STILL MUST RESPECT THEM BECAUSE THIS IS PRO BALL. Its a fine line between winning and losing. EXECUTING THE PLAY MATTERS. DAK DOES THAT TIME AND TIME AGAIN. Keep in mind Dak was expected to go the length of the field time and time again last couple years because our special teams stank it up..inept. Thats a tough task. IMAGINE what we can do record wise with a shorter field with this coaching and offense. a deal will be struck.

NotForLong

Reaction score
So you believe they HAVE to sign Dak because if they don't its going to be people in the locker room butt hurt?
No, i believe placing the Franchise Tag and then pulling it would leave bad blood in the locker room.

People keep claiming that if the Cowboys don't believe in Dak they should let him go. This argument usually comes from Dak Supporters.

They claim the fact that Dak is gonna make over 31.4 and if the Cowboys don't think highly of Dak why would they pay him? Why not release him and spend that money on the defense this year?

But this is a non issue because it would tear the locker room apart.

Besides why would you release him now. QB is a strength with 2 capable starters.

Jerry was desperate when he placed the restricted tag on Dak. The Non Restricted Tag would have brought 2 1st rd picks and the Cowboys & Dak would know his worth.

Those picks could have been Jordan Love & used as trade foe Adams. The money left over would have been Byron Jones & Clowney.

But going with a rookie would have been dangerous. But Brady did become Avaiable. We could have fit him in

All we got was Dak demanding and not yielding to any terms. He wants 4 years so he can become a free agent sooner. (What kind of investment with the team does that display, like Jerry isn't gonna reward him with a restructure in year 5 . . . Dumb ***)

Mr. France (My Hero) put a wedge between Dak & Mr Jones. The Franchise & The Fans were held hostage. While Dak smiled like he was eating strawberry yogert. Meanwhile the Fans & the National Media are tearing the Cowboys Nation apart.

We have morphed from Fans to Haters & Sloberers.

Then Dalton happened and Dak is on a short leash & he damn well better perform.

PS if Jerry caves this time at the End. For no other reason but RATINGS. . . Then I am done.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
No, i believe placing the Franchise Tag and then pulling it would leave bad blood in the locker room.

People keep claiming that if the Cowboys don't believe in Dak they should let him go. This argument usually comes from Dak Supporters.

They claim the fact that Dak is gonna make over 31.4 and if the Cowboys don't think highly of Dak why would they pay him? Why not release him and spend that money on the defense this year?

But this is a non issue because it would tear the locker room apart.

Besides why would you release him now. QB is a strength with 2 capable starters.

Jerry was desperate when he placed the restricted tag on Dak. The Non Restricted Tag would have brought 2 1st rd picks and the Cowboys & Dak would know his worth.

Those picks could have been Jordan Love & used as trade foe Adams. The money left over would have been Byron Jones & Clowney.

But going with a rookie would have been dangerous. But Brady did become Avaiable. We could have fit him in

All we got was Dak demanding and not yielding to any terms. He wants 4 years so he can become a free agent sooner. (What kind of investment with the team does that display, like Jerry isn't gonna reward him with a restructure in year 5 . . . Dumb ***)

Mr. France (My Hero) put a wedge between Dak & Mr Jones. The Franchise & The Fans were held hostage. While Dak smiled like he was eating strawberry yogert. Meanwhile the Fans & the National Media are tearing the Cowboys Nation apart.

We have morphed from Fans to Haters & Sloberers.

Then Dalton happened and Dak is on a short leash & he damn well better perform.

PS if Jerry caves this time at the End. For no other reason but RATINGS. . . Then I am done.
Your argument is still flawed. So in your scenario the Owners, scouts and GM don't have faith in Dak....but the players do?

You have either created scenarios that you've brainwashed yourself to believe or you're simply trolling lol. You've convinced yourself that Dak is on a short leash. Not because he is. Not because he should be. No, because you WANT him to be lol.

You've completely disregarded the Cowboys past history in any of your scenarios.

NotForLong

Reaction score
To me McCarthy is irrelevant. If McCarthy didnt' want Dak but Jerry and Stephen did? Jerry and Stephen overrule. Dak is not auditioning for McCarthy.

But that's my point. You are "helping your team" but as a result you are increasing his value. It makes no sense.
You cant increase the value of someone who hit his cieling in his rookie year.

Those moves increase the value of WHO EVER IS QB for the COWBOYS for the next 5 years.

If Dak performs at the highest level and Challenges Lamar & Pat for QB supreamacy . . . Which will happen if Dak is who you think he is.

Then so be it. . . Because if he is able to do it this year. He will continue to do it for the next 5 years. He will be worth it.

Last year did not prove anything. His stats were up but the Cowboys Struggled. That is not progress.

Last year proved showcasing Dak caused the team to struggle. He is a bus driver. In 2016 he was a running QB thats who he is . . . He has stopped doing this.

His value is going down not up. Maybe if he would sign a long term contract, he wouldn't have to worry about making carear decisions.

Hopefully Mike recognizes his only strength. And runs him into the ground. Because thats the only way DaK will bring any value. 2016 was better then 2019

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yah, because 1 year for 31 million is the same as 4 or 5 years for 120 plus million...
I never said it was but if I'm not sold on a guy in 4 years what's going to happen in year 5? Oh its just going to strike me that yes Dak is a good quarterback in year 5? Chances are if you aren't sold in him in 4 years you aren't sold in him by year 5. You are suppose to get in front of this. You don't wait until he's good to give him a contract you are suppose to know this. Just like they did with Collins and Jaylon last year. They didn't wait for Collins and Jaylon to become great players and outprice them in free agency.