Twitter: Cam Newton to be Released

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I said this in another post, I don't think Belli is signing anyone this off-season and is resigned to the fact that this year will be the start to a rebuild. Otherwise, I think he would have prepared for this and traded for/signed another QB besides picking up a retread like Hoyer. Not to mention, Patriots hardly have any cap space to sign Cam.

I agree. Signing a guy like Cam is the last thing he would do. And he would have done it already with someone else.

montgod

Reaction score
I agree. Signing a guy like Cam is the last thing he would do. And he would have done it already with someone else.
Now I didn't say I don't think Belli would sign Cam if he had the team to support him and was still on the path of wanting to win. I just think there is no need to sign him if you're going to rebuild. Hence why they let a few other talented free agents they had go as well.

Please don't forget, Belli just signed Antonio Brown last year. You really can't mention anyone after signing him much less Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee Cam even with his issues.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Now I didn't say I don't think Belli would sign Cam if he had the team to support him and was still on the path of wanting to win. I just think there is no need to sign him if you're going to rebuild. Hence why they let a few other talented free agents they had go as well.

Please don't forget, Belli just signed Antonio Brown last year. You really can't mention anyone after signing him much less Walter Payton Man of the Year nominee Cam even with his issues.

I think it's different when you are talking about QB in New England. Will be interesting to watch and see what happens there.

montgod

Reaction score
I think it's different when you are talking about QB in New England. Will be interesting to watch and see what happens there.
You're right but we've never seen them in this position to need a qb for so long. All we can go off of are the other players that came in and out and Belli was pretty open-minded to 'talent' until they screwed up. Again, I don't see Cam going there based solely on Patriots being in rebuild mode in my mind.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
You're right but we've never seen them in this position to need a qb for so long. All we can go off of are the other players that came in and out and Belli was pretty open-minded to 'talent' until they screwed up. Again, I don't see Cam going there based solely on Patriots being in rebuild mode in my mind.

I think that's exactly it thou. I do think that Belichick will take a flyer on a DB or a WR or whatever position but I don't know that he would or could afford to do that with QB. Especially this year. This is going to be a really tough season in New England IMO. The QB who follows Brady is going to have it really, really bad. Think back to how it was for Danny White in Dallas after Roger, Quincy Carter after Troy. I mean, you put a guy like Newton at QB in New England and I think you are asking for trouble. We can say he's only going to be a backup but I don't believe Newton would ever settle for that and what's more, I think there is a really good chance that the starter in New England is not going to be the same at the beginning of the season, as it will be at the end.

JMO

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Don't forget Corey Dillon, Ochocinco, and Brown.

None of those guys are the QB. Talking about the QB here. Belli has shown an affinity to sign troubled, talented players at other positions.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I said this in another post, I don't think Belli is signing anyone this off-season and is resigned to the fact that this year will be the start to a rebuild. Otherwise, I think he would have prepared for this and traded for/signed another QB besides picking up a retread like Hoyer. Not to mention, Patriots hardly have any cap space to sign Cam.

I agree. If I was Belli, I would try to develop his #2 and it wouldn't bother me if the team had a top 10 pick the next two years. Belli understands this. They are also going to need a year or two to manage out the cap for another run.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

Signing a WR or other is much different then signing a QB to be the leader of your team.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Sorry, but I know folks who know Jameis on a personal level. He, they say, is the essence of immaturity. The kid who just doesn't know when to stop playing. I wouldn't be surprised that you start hearing from the Bucs locker room how immature and silly Jameis is.
Which is disappointing because I have heard the same thing too being that I have followed him closely going back to his recruitment from FSU. He's got all the physical tools and people respond positively when he's serious but he is a dummy.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
He will start somewhere, but I'd love to have him here.
People can dismiss the Cam Newtons and Jameis Winstons of this league to their hearts content, but the bottom line is and has always been
that all starting caliber QBs in this league have value.
Really quite shocked that either of the two haven't been snapped up,, smart franchises would.
Be very interesting to see which team signs either.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
People can dismiss the Cam Newtons and Jameis Winstons of this league to their hearts content, but the bottom line is and has always been
Really quite shocked that either of the two haven't been snapped up,, smart franchises would.
I think they'll be signed eventually. Some team's quarterback isn't going to make it through the season. I wouldn't be surprised if Pittsburgh signs either of them. Big Ben is on his last leg. I'm not sure he'll make it through the season. And the Drew Locke experiment may not pan out so there may be an opening in Denver.
Besides, the Coronavirus has put things on hold, so teams aren't really doing much in the way of quarterbacks. But I doubt either of them are sitting without a team by the end of the season - if we have a season, that is.

WeDemBoyz

Reaction score
Keep Dak on the Franchise tag and sign Cam for a short reasonable deal. I bet Dak's asking price will come down quickly. He won't feel so comfortable knowing his seat is not so warm and cushy. Might even get the best play out of him.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
:laugh:

jnday

Reaction score
He would be cheaper and nobody would see him as a longterm Solution. Thats a big plus.

Because with dak the biggest mistake this franchise could make is to bind its faith to him longterm.
I have always hated Cam since college, but I would take Cam in a heartbeat if Dak would leave and stop this drama.