Cam Newton's Return

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I think Cam went to the proper place.
But it's still unlikely he is a long-term answer much less a SB favorite.
All that said Brady wasn't a plus player last year.
A refreshed committed Cam might be really good in a single season type scenario.

It will be interesting because BB is a mad scientist and likely finds a way to be good.
All that said, the recent Pats offenses have been quick read short passing attack offenses.

Cam has run mostly longer read, play-action then run or pass it deeper type stuff.

He had really good seasons in timing based passing systems.

Reactions: CWR

the_h0wey

Reaction score
If that is one of the most idiotic things you've ever heard you must lead a very sheltered life.

Also, it's one thing to disagree with someone's opinion, but to be so childlike with your vitriol shows your immaturity big time.
I'm guessing you've never seen the movie Billy Madison. Thanks for taking the bait champ

CWR

Reaction score
I think Cam went to the proper place.
But it's still unlikely he is a long-term answer much less a SB favorite.
All that said Brady wasn't a plus player last year.
A refreshed committed Cam might be really good in a single season type scenario.

It will be interesting because BB is a mad scientist and likely finds a way to be good.
All that said, the recent Pats offenses have been quick read short passing attack offenses.

Cam has run mostly longer read, play-action then run or pass it deeper type stuff.

He had really good seasons in timing based passing systems.

Agreed, he's not a long term answer but is one hell of a bandaid while BB loads up for his next Brady or JimmyG.

CWR

Reaction score
Fwiw Id have taken Cam and Dalton if I could've flipped Dak for draft picks. Yeah I like Dak a lot, but his demands have grown stale, and we have a team that props him up. That doesn't mean he cant be a great qb, just that he isn't yet and there are no guarantees, especially for 36 mpy. Ive been a "Daktard" since he was drafted, but team above individuals ALWAYS.

dckid

Reaction score
... means no SB victory for the Cowboys in the Dak/Zeke/Amari era. Belichick just checkmated the rest of the NFL with a guy that was voted the best player on the planet not that long ago. A healthy Cam Newton that is resolute to stay in the pocket yet mobile enough to still get the ball out when the pocket breaks down will dominate all. What say you?
Good post. I don't agree with the correlation to no SB for Dallas. If I was a betting man, i would look at all of the years since 1994, the year Jerry for all intents and purposes fired Jimmy Johnson. That is our Red sox trade Babe Ruth curse, sliding door moment.
It will take some sort of miracle for us to win a SB. I am happy to have seen three wins in my watching lifetime but really dont expect a SB. The 2007 team had the talent to at least get there and get spanked by New England.
2014 Romo was on the decline honestly. Garrett has basically neutralized him and prevented him from making mistakes allowing Murray to get 1800 yards. Please dont' forget the narrative the previous few season with Romo making critical mistakes.
2016 was never a serious threat for a SB.

Now to the bulk of what I want to talk about. New England being a smart team made a smart decision. What do they have to lose if they bet on a 31 year old former MVP. He will be healthy, he has had practically a full year off for his shoulder. He has never had any decent WR's.
He is former number 1 pick for a reason, NE will use him well and I am sure will win the division again.
I would have loved to offer Cam the starting job here, or even Jameis. Why not take a shot at a former number 1 pick and flip the narrative on overpaying average QB's.
Dak is ~ to Goff, Wentz, Cousins, Carr, Garapollo.. (not in any specfic order). Those guys got paid, and I feel for Dak as he wants and thinks he deserves that contract. I mean he is getting 33 million this year so that is that.
We could have offered either of the guys I mentioned a one year or short term deal to kick the tires. Cam would have been amazing on this team, same with Winston.
Mccarthy coached Favre, he would have done wonders with Winston.
BTW, I have posts from when the off season started about this idea as I am sure other folks did also. My belief is that only the Elite guy should get paid the 35-40 million a year contracts. It's not about the money, I want the players to make as much money as they can because we are like the players. 99.9999999% people cant relate to the owners. The owners will make money and thy already have a 52-48 revenue share compared to the players. The only caveat is that each team has a salary cap. If you pay Goff, Dak, Wentz, Carr, Jimmy an outrageous cap number the rest of the team will suffer.
You can pay Mahomes, 50 million a year and he is worth it. He just is. Just think this last playoff run he was down double digits in each game and no one even blinked an eye when he came back against the Texans, the Titans or the 49ers in the SB. He has that Montana, Brady, Manning magic.
You can pay Wilson, Arod( in his heyday), possibly Lamar, possibly Watson.. 35 plus and I would be ok.
Let me put this another way, I would rather have Shanahan, Bill, Mcvay at 15 million a year because I know these guys can find a QB and plug him in and win.. especially Shanahan & McVay.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How long will it be before Bill and Cam clash?
I don't see that happening because Newton is fully aware that HC is in charge and what he expects out of his QB.

This is a HC that would openly criticize the GOAT QB in front of the team, which I believe is the main reason for him being in TB. There are no sacred cow players for Belichick. It is all about the team.

dckid

Reaction score
Fwiw Id have taken Cam and Dalton if I could've flipped Dak for draft picks. Yeah I like Dak a lot, but his demands have grown stale, and we have a team that props him up. That doesn't mean he cant be a great qb, just that he isn't yet and there are no guarantees, especially for 36 mpy. Ive been a "Daktard" since he was drafted, but team above individuals ALWAYS.
Agree, agree, agree. Pretty pretty good post.
Just think if NFL teams had just said no to Sam Bradford getting paid a ton of money we would not be here right now. People have to understand its not about the money. Let us be the team that zigs when the rest of the league zags. Do not leverage your cap for a good player.
Dak is a good player I am not knocking him, Romo was a good player, I am not knocking him. The league has changed you cant pay good players 40 per year.. you just cant. If you are wrong you will have to rebuild the the whole team.
I would pay Dak 25 a year, but 37 a year is cap crippling if you are wrong. Dak is not Russell Wilson. Wilson can carry his team to a SB, he can win you several games. Dak is not that. Neither is Goff, Carr, Wentz, Jimmy G.

jsb357

Reaction score
Given past seasons I would dare say if Dallas fails to bring home a Lombardi trophy this
year that there is a less than 1% chance that Cam will have anything to do with it.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Agreed, he's not a long term answer but is one hell of a bandaid while BB loads up for his next Brady or JimmyG.
Yup... and he is definitely a more interesting option this season than Jarrett Stidham.

full disclosure --I downrate Stidham because he has flown the coop at every sign of a qb battle in his college years.
He was committed to Kliff Kinsgbury and would have very likely been a top 15 overall pick had be been patient.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I don't get it....so are you saying Cam Newton is better than Tom Brady?
I believe in 2020 this is very possible.
Tom was not that good last year and his game has been about scheme for a long time.