Can anyone say this about Garrett

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We scored on our first drive v the Packers in 2016. Then got down to a first down on the 16 yard line on the second drive before that bizarre Unsportsmanlike conduct penalty cost is 37 yards and killed the drive. It too long I get into gear that day. Easy to derail with a huge penalty, I guess.
In other words our early games derailments are more execution issues or boneheaded miscues by players rather than coaching?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Blaming coaching is such an elementary scapegoat.

There are some isolated incidents where that’s pertinent but it’s usually more about the players and of course the opposing players execution.

Schemes and or play calling can only take lesser talent so far while elitist talent can make everyone look brilliant.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Why Does Drew Brees do it? People say all Garrett does is clap yet do not see the work they put in through out the week and how much input Garrett has through out the team.
It's great that Garrett realized Romo was good at making game plans and let him in on that aspect of the game. Delegation is part of the job. But me personally if someone is better than me at a particular task, I want to know why. I want yo know what they know. As a head coach the learning process is never over.

This is the head coach that made Dak friendly a Dak-saster.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's great that Garrett realized Romo was good at making game plans and let him in on that aspect of the game. Delegation is part of the job. But me personally if someone is better than me at a particular task, I want to know why. I want yo know what they know. As a head coach the learning process is never over.

It was the same offense and play caller from 2016-2018.

More than likely the contributing factors played a bigger role like supporting cast on offense changed since 2016 to 2018 and opposing defenses adjusting to name a couple.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
It was the same offense and play caller from 2016-2018.

More than likely the contributing factors played a bigger role like supporting cast on offense changed since 2016 to 2018 and opposing defenses adjusting to name a couple.
If it was the same offense then what was with all of that Dak friendly talk?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If it was the same offense then what was with all of that Dak friendly talk?

The Romo-friendly, and now Dak-friendly was from the Jones' not Garrett or anyone else.
It has nothing to do with the game plan. It is really like all the other teams, it is a game plan to any QB's skills. But in Dak's case, Linehan did not do this.
Maybe Moore can, and will from what was said about him.

GenoT

Reaction score
Let me fix that...Belicheat > Assistant Coaches > Most college coaches > Texas High School football coaches > Chimps > Bag of hammers > 3 day old sushi > Garrett
Garrett was out-coaching that bag of hammers, but then Romo threw a pick-6 and...well, you know...
:thumbup:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
The Romo-friendly, and now Dak-friendly was from the Jones' not Garrett or anyone else.
It has nothing to do with the game plan. It is really like all the other teams, it is a game plan to any QB's skills. But in Dak's case, Linehan did not do this.
Dak friendly didnt help us dominate I the redzone. So like you said maybe Moore can come in and loosen things up a bit. Because Dak friendly sure had a lot of WR's running short comebacks. Way too often in my opinion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I’d agree on the most part and only add it appeared there were some adjustments in offensive play calling dialing it down to limit mistakes from Dak.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think you will find a lot of QB are involved in game planning especially those with a lot of experience. I know Drew Brees has said he is involved during the week working with the offensive coaches on putting in the game plan. Hell after all he is the one who has to go out and execute the plan and run the offense. May as well have some input

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Dak friendly didnt help us dominate I the redzone. So like you said maybe Moore can come in and loosen things up a bit. Because Dak friendly sure had a lot of WR's running short comebacks. Way too often in my opinion.
I’d agree. The bigger question is why. I’d suspect to limit mistakes from our QB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I hate that term X-friendly. As I hate the RKG thing, and the "process" and "day to day".
But yes, red zone was, is, a huge problem. But I think that was a lot on Linehan too. Did not think of the short comeback routes, yeah, need to change those to deeper routes, and not use the comeback routes as often, as they only seem to come up short of a 1st down or a TD.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I think all OC want to put in a QB friendly offense to play off the strength of their QB. I know here we get these phrases and people latch onto them as a mean to attack the coaches but I don't know of any team who does not try to put in a QB friendly offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hate that term X-friendly. As I hate the RKG thing, and the "process" and "day to day".
But yes, red zone was, is, a huge problem. But I think that was a lot on Linehan too. Did not think of the short comeback routes, yeah, need to change those to deeper routes, and not use the comeback routes as often, as they only seem to come up short of a 1st down or a TD.
I think we scaled back the play calling to protect our QB playing it safe. We’d rather settle for FG’s than expose his weaknesses and turn the Ball over which would have turned the public wave against Dak.

Tommy

Reaction score
The reason for the short comebacks is not because the coaches like them and do not know what other plays to call.
Short comebacks are what you are forced to call when your QB is not good at reading defenses. It’s a safe play vs man to man or zone.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
In my career playing football, nobody asked me to do as much as a COACH did. I might be 3-technique, or a linebacker, or a linebacker dropping into coverage more than ever, or playing inside more than ever. I'll always remember how much I learned watching COACH in practice. He can coach any position as good as any position coach in league. He can walk around the field and stop drills and coach each position-at the highest level.

So your implication that people don't say that about Garrett is some how meaning that Garrett is a bad coach then there are a lot of bad coaches in the league because the media doesn't say that about most of all the other coaches either.

Sydla

Reaction score
What do you know it has been said about Garrett...lol

Jason Garrett on course to becoming Dallas Cowboy coaching great

Garrett's quest in making history
August 4, 2015 at 12:16 AM CDT - Updated July 25 at 6:49 AM
OXNARD, CA (KLTV) - Jason Garrett picked up his first playoff win as the Dallas Cowboys head coach last season and was rewarded with a new five-year, $30 million contract.

Despite Garret going through three 8-8 seasons, he's closing in on some of the greats who have coached the Cowboys. Garrett doesn't have a Super Bowl Title to his name yet, but with the four more wins the former Dallas quarterback will pass Jimmy Johnson for all-time wins in Cowboys history and will only tail Tom Landry.

"It's a privilege, not a right, to play or work for the Dallas Cowboys and I certainly believe in that probably more than anybody else," said Garrett. "I understand the opportunity I have. Since I was six, seven, eight-years-old, I wanted to be a professional football player. I wanted to be a part of this environment. To have that opportunity I think is special."

Whether it's a rookie like Randy Gregory or a six-year veteran like Dez Bryant, Garrett has complete respect from all of his players.

"Whenever Coach Garrett tells me something, it's always legit. He's not fooling around with anybody," said Bryant. "All you can do is respect him, do exactly what he asks and at least try to do the best that he asks."

"Coach Garrett's all about challenging us and I understand that now after being around him so much," said Gregory. "I really do appreciate him for it."

When Garrett leads the Cowboys on the field in Week 10 against Tampa Bay, only Landry will have coached more games in the history of the franchise.

Garrett's ability to relate to different personalities on the team makes him special in the veteran's eyes.

"He can coach any position at this point. Not everybody can do that. I think he has a way of communicating with people and there's a reason he's been here so long. He's the best coach," said Tony Romo. "Each evening when we go back and look at practice. He shows the good, the bad and everything in between. His ability to reach every position and every group on the team I think sets the standard for our football team"

Copyright KLTV 2015. All rights reserved

4 seasons later and we are still waiting for him to become the next Dallas Cowboys coaching great.