Can Dak shine with new coach?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Average time to throw does not account for how often the QB scrambled to avoid pressure. It's a meaningless stat in regards to judging the quality of pass protection.

Dak requires an open receiver for deep throws. He was 68% to Butler last season on throws over 20 yards. Butler's only value was going deep but it shows that Dak can complete long passes when given the opportunity and a receiver that can function downfield.
that time excludes the QB scrambling out of the pocket......and no it doesn't;'t include the # of times the QB had to scramble, but it also doesn't include the # of times the QB pulled the ball down unnecessarily and scrambled where he should have made a throw......

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
People said Aikman was not good enough after his 2nd season. People wanted Steve Walsh to replace Aikman during the 1990 season.

Then Erik Williams arrived. By the start of the '92 season, Erik Williams at RT allowed Nate to move to OG. EW's take no prisoners attitude make that OLine feared by all opponents. They could pound the defense with Emmitt and Aikman could function to perfection.

Once the OL started declining after the 3rd Super Bowl, Aikman started to struggle.

Jerry thought Aikman needed another WR and traded two 1sts for Joey Galloway. In reality they needed another top OLineman to allow Aikman to run his style of offense.

Later Romo came along and his style didn't require an elite OL.

Now they are back to running the nineties type offensive scheme that was dependent on execution and individual receivers winning their matchups.

Unfortunately, regardless of Martin/Tyron/Frederick being All Pro, they don't have an Erik Williams making Reggie White cry for his momma or Romo running around avoiding defenders for 6 seconds waiting for Dez to get open. The simple scheme is not good enough.

At least this year they shifted their WR focus to smart players that are well above average route runners. This should allow for a better scheme than they could run with Dez as the primary target.

A better scheme would make it easier for Dak; therefore, there is no excuse for not implementing a modern scheme other than the coaches that are stuck in their old scheme.

Let's see a modern scheme and if Dak fails I'll jump on the draft a QB bandwagon.

They also have to sort out the OL. The OL coach that was fired appears to have made Collins worse. They say Collins struggled the most with the new techniques and he has struggled with penalties in the games. Columbo/Houck can't undo that immediately.

For next season, they can swap Collins and C-Williams.

Playing OG allows Collins to use his power and his limited foot quickness won't force him to hold outside speed rushers.

C-Williams has elite foot quickness but needs more size/power. He's already stronger than Doug Free and they managed to function quite well with Free at RT once Bill Callahan came in and devised an OL scheme to protect Free.

If Frederick returns, then the sky is the limit if they get a legit NFL offensive coordinator.

Even if you were right about Dak, there would be no point drafting a QB with Garrett/Linehan running the offense.

Give Josh McDaniels 10M a year to replace Garrett but keep him out of the draft room and Dak will be a Super Bowl caliber QB.

I can't root for the Cowboys to lose games, but long term it would be better if they failed this season to the point of getting Garrett fired.

McDaniels success is also tied to Tom Brady execution. it was obvious when he went to Denver, his scheme wasn't as good because he didn't have tom Brady...you can;'t put a piece of parsley next to a pile of shiet and call it Filet Mignon....its still a pile of Shiet.....and McDaniels scheme is timing based, having a QB throw with anticipation and requires precision throwing and timing....none of which applies to Dak.....

jnday

Reaction score
Dak is a bum at the QB position. You can shine that turd all you want, but it will still stink. There is no reasonable hope for hi to improve. He will set this team back for years if he gets an extension. No ifs, buts or maybes are going to make him better. Please , just stop. For all that is holy, just stop. 1000 threads a month is not going to improve him. He is not a NFL QB.

JustChip

Reaction score
I think you're going to find out next year. The Cowboys are married to Dak for 2019. You have next year to determine if Dak can be closer to 2016 or is what he was in college and this year. It's immaterial whether JG or SL truly are the problem - the only way to know is to change the coach.

I personally have been neutral on Dak - he's shown to be a viable NFL QB at times and shown at times he's not. The results this year lead me to think he's a long way from being a viable QB and we'll find that out next year with a new coach so there'll be another year down the drain.

fansince68

Reaction score
Kellen Moore, Scott Linehan, and Jason Garret are all former Qb's. Just think about that for a minute. Do they ever study film to find deficiencies in Daks game? Daks glaring weaknesses are on national tv for all to see. Its time for a new direction.

JustChip

Reaction score
you can't win consistently with your QB running and some of those was not planned runs, but him taking off after he pulled the ball down. The Jags weren't spying on him and thus he ran wild....the titans had a spy on dak and everytime he tried to take off, they had a LB or safety chasing him out of bounce....they had decided we will not let him beat us with his legs, we are going to force him to pass it, knowing that they had a better chance of stopping him....

and yes good pass protection helps, but watch the titans game and how quickly Mariotta would get the ball out when he felt the pressure and dak would just pull the ball down and start running....

:hammer:

dallas72

Reaction score
In an offense similar to Houston, Titans or Carolinas I think he would have more success.

He needs a College type OC, that will move WRs around.

Basically some smoke and mirrors. Linehan DOESNT do that.
Agree where is the R/P/O?...When Dak runs 5+ times were 12-0

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Guaranteed we would have more success right now if Dak was running more. Hes not a pocket passer, we have to utilize him to his strengths.
I don't care about getting to an 8-8 or 9-7 team. its about playoffs and making a run at Super Bowl....you can't win with a run first QB....

and I am not asking him to be a pocket passer, but any successful NFL QB should be able to pass from the pocket...you can't....you suck. you are not an NFL QB...this ain't college.....

black label

Reaction score
Dak is a bum at the QB position. You can shine that turd all you want, but it will still stink. There is no reasonable hope for hi to improve. He will set this team back for years if he gets an extension. No ifs, buts or maybes are going to make him better. Please , just stop. For all that is holy, just stop. 1000 threads a month is not going to improve him. He is not a NFL QB.
:hammer:

CWR

Reaction score
I don't care about getting to an 8-8 or 9-7 team. its about playoffs and making a run at Super Bowl....you can't win with a run first QB....

and I am not asking him to be a pocket passer, but any successful NFL QB should be able to pass from the pocket...you can't....you suck. you are not an NFL QB...this ain't college.....

Thats not the point. My point is put your players in the best position to win. They are jamming a square peg into a round hole.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak looks good at times. No reason to think that he couldn't look better more consistently w/ better coaching.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Thats not the point. My point is put your players in the best position to win. They are jamming a square peg into a round hole.
I get it....what I am saying, is that its not going to get us to the Super Bowl...will just get us a few more wins...and eventually get your QB hurt

Reactions: CWR

kskboys

Reaction score
I get it....what I am saying, is that its not going to get us to the Super Bowl...will just get us a few more wins...and eventually get your QB hurt
Yeah, can't disagree.

I'd like to see Dak under a more competent OC and w/ a QB whisperer.