Can Felix Jones carry the load if Barber goes down?

StarMan2112

Reaction score
I mean, I like Felix and all, but Mendenhall is a prototype 3 down back. I'm just curious to get some opinions on this.

I didn't see much of either of these guys this year other than highlight reel stuff. I'm not bashing the Felix pick, I think he brings some explosiveness that is lacking in our backfield.

But what if Barber goes down? Can Felix carry the load?

elcocinero

Reaction score
There will be lots of FA Running backs that can carry the load just in case MBIII goes down. They have the be better than Julius "Pile" Jones right?

PosterChild

Reaction score
I think Jerry, in his own way, suggested in his filibuster today that he couldn't really handle the job. Or that he'd really like to not see that happen. Then again, Barber didn't fare too well at the end of the season in the role. Gotta think in terms of pairs of RBs anymore.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
PosterChild;2055682 said:
I think Jerry, in his own way, suggested in his filibuster today that he couldn't really handle the job. Or that he'd really like to not see that happen.

Then again, Barber didn't fare too well at the end of the season in the role. Gotta think in terms of pairs of RBs anymore.

Agree and agree.

I was surprised Jerry didn't give him more credit as at least possibly being a full-time back.

I think Jerry just loves Barber (courtesy of RJ) and isn't going to let him go.

wileedog

Reaction score
There aren't many 3 down backs anymore.

And what do you do with 2 of them?

elcocinero

Reaction score
Maybe Felix can carry the load, who knows. He is close to the same size as McFadden.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I just don't get thest posts. Emmitt Smith weighed 209 lbs. and I think he did a pretty good carrying the load and he was no where near as fast as Felix Jones. Tony Dorsett carried the load and he only weighed 190 lbs. or less (I know, different era, but still). Did you guys actually want to spend a first round pick on Mendenhall to sit on the bench behind Barber just in case he got hurt? Not very smart IMO.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2055868 said:
I just don't get thest posts. Emmitt Smith weighed 209 lbs. and I think he did a pretty good carrying the load and he was no where near as fast as Felix Jones. Tony Dorsett carried the load and he only weighed 190 lbs. or less (I know, different era, but still). Did you guys actually want to spend a first round pick on Mendenhall to sit on the bench behind Barber just in case he got hurt? Not very smart IMO.

Felix and Emmitt are two totally different backs, that comparsion is way off. Mendenhall was the best available talent and could fill a larger role on offense if Barber was injuried or anything.....really should have been a no brainer.....but oh well.

And no, Felix wouldn't be able to carry the load if Barber went down. He will compliment what we have, but asking him to become the man is asking a bit much of him at this point.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
StarMan;2055649 said:
I mean, I like Felix and all, but Mendenhall is a prototype 3 down back. I'm just curious to get some opinions on this.

I didn't see much of either of these guys this year other than highlight reel stuff. I'm not bashing the Felix pick, I think he brings some explosiveness that is lacking in our backfield.

But what if Barber goes down? Can Felix carry the load?

We need to get another RB so he does not have to. Either through the draft or a cheap vet. Felix is our Reggie Bush. Doubt carrying the full load would work out well. Keep him as what he is. Is MBIII goes down, plug the 3rd RB as the starter and Felix maintains his original role.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
According to Jerry Jones, no. He's not a guy that can take 25 carries.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056000 said:
Felix and Emmitt are two totally different backs, that comparsion is way off. Mendenhall was the best available talent and could fill a larger role on offense if Barber was injuried or anything.....really should have been a no brainer.....but oh well.

And no, Felix wouldn't be able to carry the load if Barber went down. He will compliment what we have, but asking him to become the man is asking a bit much of him at this point.

Well, you are wrong on numerous points. Let's see, you want to spend a first round pick on a guy that would primarily play if our starting back gets hurt? Not very smart. Mendenhall would see the field much less than Jones. Jones can do many more things than Mendenhall can. He will be used in numerous ways in the offense as a RB, catching the ball out of the backfield, spread out wide, and in the kick retun game. Much more value from Jones than with Mendenhall on our team. Every analyst thinks Jones was a GREAT pick for us. By the way, who says Jones can't carry the load? No one knows that at this point.

BigWillie

Reaction score
TheCount;2056026 said:
According to Jerry Jones, no. He's not a guy that can take 25 carries.

Which leads me to wonder what will happen when Marion goes down.

Yes, I said WHEN. As much as we can hope and pray it does not happen, it eventually will. Marion's violent style of running will lead to injuries and a likely shorter career than we all will hope.

To be honest, I'm surprised he has not been hurt yet.

*knocks on wood*

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
BigWillie;2056073 said:
Which leads me to wonder what will happen when Marion goes down.

Yes, I said WHEN. As much as we can hope and pray it does not happen, it eventually will. Marion's violent style of running will lead to injuries and a likely shorter career than we all will hope.

To be honest, I'm surprised he has not been hurt yet.

*knocks on wood*

If that happens then Felix and the 3rd RB split carries, we'll figure it out when that time comes. Nothing we can do to undo or change the Felix pick now.

Walker

Texas Ranger
Reaction score
There are a lot of teams out that if their starting running back goes down there is not enough "ammo" to take over. That's what makes this game so awesome is that you have to nail some draft picks, attract some undrafted players and hopefully find someone who can help the load etc. If LT goes down for san diego there is no one for them to carry the load like LT can. It's just how the game goes and the cowboys are lucky enough to be in a great position with so much versatility. I can't wait for the season to start too bad that when the season starts college classes start as well :laugh2:

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056040 said:
Well, you are wrong on numerous points. Let's see, you want to spend a first round pick on a guy that would primarily play if our starting back gets hurt? Not very smart. Mendenhall would see the field much less than Jones. Jones can do many more things than Mendenhall can. He will be used in numerous ways in the offense as a RB, catching the ball out of the backfield, spread out wide, and in the kick retun game. Much more value from Jones than with Mendenhall on our team. Every analyst thinks Jones was a GREAT pick for us. By the way, who says Jones can't carry the load? No one knows that at this point.

Well, who says Mendenhall can't fill the same role as Felix, plus give us the ability to replace Barber if needed?? Noone knows at this point.

A complimentary back isn't taken in the first round. Deciding to draft guys who are exclusively backups in the first round, is not very smart.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056087 said:
Well, who says Mendenhall can't fill the same role as Felix, plus give us the ability to replace Barber if needed?? Noone knows at this point.

A complimentary back isn't taken in the first round. Deciding to draft guys who are exclusively backups in the first round, is not very smart.

Please, is this all you've got? Everyone that has a clue knows Mendenhall cannot do half of the things offensively that Jones can do. Mendenhall is a power running back, very similar to Barber. That's exactly why we didn't draft him. You really think Mendenhall could return kicks or be spread out as a receiver? That must explain your man crush on him, but you're still wrong.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
By the way, had we drafted Mendenhall, he wouldn't have even been a complementary back. He'd be a backup sitting on the bench behind Barber.