Can Felix Jones carry the load if Barber goes down?

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056104 said:
Please, is this all you've got? Everyone that has a clue knows Mendenhall cannot do half of the things offensively that Jones can do. Mendenhall is a power running back, very similar to Barber. That's exactly why we didn't draft him. You really think Mendenhall could return kicks or be spread out as a receiver? That must explain your man crush on him, but you're still wrong.

Mendenhall isn't like Barber, Barber has never run a 4.38 in his life. Only man crush I have is on a draft board, not on any player. It was rather obivous that Mendenhall has been rated ahead of Felix by just about everyone. Felix is a Cowboy, and fits a good role, but he wasn't worth where we took him.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Let's hope we don't have to face that reality EVER. We got 1/2 of a RB today at #22. YAY. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Be happy with what we have..........Jerry already said we will get another back later in the draft or free agency. I personally think this has been an outstanding draft for the 'boys'.:)

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Maroney was a back up in college and carried the load quite well. Lets not forget that we have a great air game as well.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056108 said:
By the way, had we drafted Mendenhall, he wouldn't have even been a complementary back. He'd be a backup sitting on the bench behind Barber.

You don't do that in the first round....sorry.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
By the way, as far as ratings on the backs go, all I know is that every single analyst I've listened to today on ESPN and NFLN have loved the Jones pick without exception. I would have to think they and our coaching staff know a bit more than all of us and that's all that matters. The rest is just internet chatter.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
Felix Can Only Compliment What We Already Have On Offense But He Cant Carry The Load.

Mendehall Was The Smart Pick. Felix Will Still Be Productive In Our Offense But Mendehall Is The Better Back And Would Have Been The Better Choice At 22

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056141 said:
By the way, as far as ratings on the backs go, all I know is that every single analyst I've listened to today on ESPN and NFLN have loved the Jones pick without exception. I would have to think they and our coaching staff know a bit more than all of us and that's all that matters. The rest is just internet chatter.

History has shown that when a large majority of our fans are in an uproar over a pick it's for good reason and turns out to be accurate. Let's hope it didn't just happen again today.

Some names that come to mind...

Bobby Carpenter
Julius Jones

ZZZ

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056128 said:
Yes you do, and thankfully we did. End of agrument.

Thanks for your permission to end the arguement, lol. Felix has a good role with this team, I don't disagree with that, and he will be a solid player. What I do disgree with is getting him in the first round and over Mendenhall.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
GOLDENCHILD1688;2056148 said:
Felix Can Only Compliment What We Already Have On Offense But He Cant Carry The Load.

Mendehall Was The Smart Pick. Felix Will Still Be Productive In Our Offense But Mendehall Is The Better Back And Would Have Been The Better Choice At 22

Yea, well Mendenhall would've spent most of his time picking splinters out of his *** while he's sitting on the bench behind Barber. For the life of me, I just don't get this argument some of you guys are using. You don't like the Jones pick because he's a "complementary player", yet you wanted a guy that wouldn't have even provided that. He would've only played any significant minutes if our starter went down. You don't make draft picks based on injury possibilities. If that were true, we should've used our first round pick on a QB just in case Romo goes down. :rolleyes:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Let's put it this way, so maybe we'll agree. If we didn't have Barber and were looking for a starting RB to carry the ball 25 times a game, I would've wanted Mendenhall over Jones (probably at least). However, that's not the case with us. We needed a versatile game-breaker/difference maker, and that's what we got. He can carry the ball, catch screens, play some at WR, return kicks, etc. We'll get much more bang for our buck with him than we would have with Mendenhall. I would think anyone could see this given our current players. You don't think defenses will worry about having Jones on the field? They'll have to game plan for what he brings to the table. Mendenhall would just have been Barber's spot relief. The bottom line is I'm hot necessarily saying Jones is better than Mendenhall (that's debatable), but he's better for us and that's all that really matters.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056187 said:
Yea, well Mendenhall would've spent most of his time picking splinters out of his *** while he's sitting on the bench behind Barber. For the life of me, I just don't get this argument some of you guys are using. You don't like the Jones pick because he's a "complementary player", yet you wanted a guy that wouldn't have even provided that. He would've only played any significant minutes if our starter went down. You don't make draft picks based on injury possibilities. If that were true, we should've used our first round pick on a QB just in case Romo goes down. :rolleyes:

For the life of me, I don't get your argument either as far as saying Mendenhall would sit on the bench. He would share carries just like Julius did with Barber. He would have gotten at least 10 carries a game. How would that be sitting on the bench??

We would have been filling the role with a guy that could not only fill the complimentary role, but also could be the starter if need be in case of injury. You can't find a guy like that in the 2nd or 3rd round, but you can fill a complimentary only back there easier.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Jones can also share carries with Barber and will provide a change of pace, not to mention a homerun threat every time he trouches the ball. He will also be on the field as a receiver and a kick returner. As I've stated many times before, he simply brings more value to this team.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Make no mistake about it, Barber will carry the load for us from now on out. He won't be sharing as many carries with another back regardless who we took in the draft. I think last year's playoff game pretty much solidified that.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056216 said:
Make no mistake about it, Barber will carry the load for us from now on out. He won't be sharing as many carries with another back regardless who we took in the draft. I think last year's playoff game pretty much solidified that.
Oh you mean our playoff loss........ok.

NorTex

Reaction score
Essentially, we passed on Stephen Jackson AGAIN!!!!! :bang2:

superonyx

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056197 said:
We would have been filling the role with a guy that could not only fill the complimentary role, but also could be the starter if need be in case of injury. You can't find a guy like that in the 2nd or 3rd round, but you can fill a complimentary only back there easier.

What round did we draft Barber????hmmm....

You need to realize that we only have so many carries a game to give out. This is a passing league. What jerry sees with felix is a guy that breaks many long runs and has the ability to make a difference with catching out of the backfield. Can he carry the load? Well can 5 foot 9 Brian Westbrook? He seems to be. How many games has Felix Jones missed from injury? Please answer these questions since you make these statements. And no jerry didnt say he couldnt. he said they are not expecting him to. big difference.