Can Felix Jones carry the load if Barber goes down?

superonyx

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056219 said:
Oh you mean our playoff loss........ok.

Yea... I guess you are right. Since Barber started in the playoff game and we lost i guess he sucks. It doesnt matter about how he performed. Or how anyone else performed. Since he started and carried the load and we lost then he has to go. Thanks for shedding light on this for all of us.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056219 said:
Oh you mean our playoff loss........ok.

Poor attempt there. Did you watch the game? If you did, you certainly wouldn't try to place any of the blame on Barber. Almost 130 yards on the ground against a defense that was playing out of its mind. You can fault dropped passes and penalties for that loss, not Barber. Really, you should know better than to even try to go there.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
superonyx;2056227 said:
What round did we draft Barber????hmmm....

You need to realize that we only have so many carries a game to give out. This is a passing league. What jerry sees with felix is a guy that breaks many long runs and has the ability to make a difference with catching out of the backfield. Can he carry the load? Well can 5 foot 9 Brian Westbrook? He seems to be. How many games has Felix Jones missed from injury? Please answer these questions since you make these statements. And no jerry didnt say he couldnt. he said they are not expecting him to. big difference.
It is alot harder to find a feature back in later rounds, but of course it can be done. It is alot easier to find a complimentary back in the fourth round, than it is to find a feature back, but we did get a hit with Barber. Doesn't mean that we can depend on that happening whenever we want though.

Felix averaged 10-11 carries a game in college, and will probably get close to the same as a Cowboy. Just cause Jerry made the pick and I'm a Cowboy fan doesn't mean I have to agree with Jerry's pick. I believe his line of thinking is very flawed with Felix.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
calcbfan1;2056223 said:
Essentially, we passed on Stephen Jackson AGAIN!!!!! :bang2:

A moment of clarity in an otherwise murky thread. Here. Let me join you. :bang2:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
For some unknown reason many of our fans seem to think Felix Jones is a small fragile RB. He is not. I guess they think that because he has speed, he can't "carry the load". I guess they think that because he has speed, he's small in stature. He's not. Since I live in SEC country, I've seen Jones quite a bit. He's not a scat back. He's well over 200 lbs and he's tough. He played in the best conference in the country against the best defenses. Frankly, I think most of you post this stuff because you don't know very much about him and that you're just posting out your *****. Too bad. You will see this fall.

marchetta

Reaction score
StarMan;2055649 said:
I mean, I like Felix and all, but Mendenhall is a prototype 3 down back. I'm just curious to get some opinions on this.

I didn't see much of either of these guys this year other than highlight reel stuff. I'm not bashing the Felix pick, I think he brings some explosiveness that is lacking in our backfield.

But what if Barber goes down? Can Felix carry the load?

No he can't. Which is why we'll be bringing in another workhorse RB like JJ said either by draft or by FA. I feel we're going to be looking hard at Tashard Choice in tomorrow's draft. He's a complete RB that could carry the load if MBIII went down, or even a guy like Hillis (FB Arkansas) who is a versatile FB that could be a MBIII type of workhorse RB in a pinch.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056265 said:
For some unknown reason many of our fans seem to think Felix Jones is a small fragile RB. He is not. I guess they think that because he has speed, he can't "carry the load". I guess they think that because he has speed, he's small in stature. He's not. Since I live in SEC country, I've seen Jones quite a bit. He's not a scat back. He's well over 200 lbs and he's tough. He played in the best conference in the country against the best defenses. Frankly, I think most of you post this stuff because you don't know very much about him and that you're just posting out your *****. Too bad. You will see this fall.

You must know more than Jerry Jones then because Jerry pretty much said they didn't get Felix to carry the load and isn't so sure Felix could do so if called upon for that role. Jerry said it today. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of your #22... What say you?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
marchetta;2056266 said:
No he can't. Which is why we'll be bringing in another workhorse RB like JJ said either by draft or by FA. I feel we're going to be looking hard at Tashard Choice in tomorrow's draft. He's a complete RB that could carry the load if MBIII went down, or even a guy like Hillis (FB Arkansas) who is a versatile FB that could be a MBIII type of workhorse RB in a pinch.

I hope you're right because, right now, if MB3 goes down the home run scatback is going to have issues carrying the load. Book that. Hopefully we work something on day 2.

superonyx

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056265 said:

Well said. I am not even 100 percent happy with the draft.
What i do know is that due to this message board i watched Arkansas every chance i could this year. I wanted to Love McFadden. But every time i watched them i kept coming away more and more impressed with Felix. I kept trying to talk myself out of it.
And lets not forget the most important part of a running back is vision. Thats what he has.

Now about Mendenhall... He looks sort of like a 1 year wonder.
Like it or not Felix is our guy.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
No, JJ said Felix Jones wouldn't have to carry the load because we have Barber. And once and for all, Jones isn't a "scatback". Do you even watch SEC football? Do you have a clue? Was Emmitt a scatback? He and Jones are about the same size, but Jones is faster. Once again, I guess the fact that he has speed makes him a "scatback".? Was Barry Sanders a scatback, by the way?

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056295 said:
No, JJ said Felix Jones wouldn't have to carry the load because we have Barber. And once and for all, Jones isn't a "scatback". Do you even watch SEC football? Do you have a clue? Was Emmitt a scatback? He and Jones are about the same size, but Jones is faster. Once again, I guess the fact that he has speed makes him a "scatback".? Was Barry Sanders a scatback, by the way?

Please don't put Felix in the same sentence with Barry or Emmitt. That's ridiculous. Like you said, we'll see in the fall... I'll hope for a 3 down back in day 2.

About what Jones said... Did you see the NFLN interview? If so then you wouldn't be arguing what I just said.

I'm a SC Gamecocks fan so yes I watch plenty of SEC football and I have seen plenty of Felix. He's a decent back but not over Mendenhall at 22.

superonyx

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2056278 said:
I hope you're right because, right now, if MB3 goes down the home run scatback is going to have issues carrying the load. Book that. Hopefully we work something on day 2.

Well i guess we better hope Jerry has something worked on day 2 in case Romo goes now. Or maybe TO. Come on.

Please explain to us why you are so paranoid about injuries to Barber. How many games has he missed die to injury? Please i will even let you go back to college.

Now also tell us how you know Felix is a scatback. Humor us. Give me a few players you would compare him to in the nfl. We would like to see how felix is viewed in your expert opinion.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
superonyx;2056303 said:
Well i guess we better hope Jerry has something worked on day 2 in case Romo goes now. Or maybe TO. Come on.

Please explain to us why you are so paranoid about injuries to Barber. How many games has he missed die to injury? Please i will even let you go back to college.

Now also tell us how you know Felix is a scatback. Humor us. Give me a few players you would compare him to in the nfl. We would like to see how felix is viewed in your expert opinion.

He's not really a scatback but I will call him that because I am pissed. If you don't like it I am sorry about your disposition. About Barber, Has he proven that he can carry the load for a full season with that bruising style yet? It's always better to be safe than sorry. We picked the safe scatback today.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Bleu Star;2056299 said:
Please don't put Felix in the same sentence with Barry or Emmitt. That's ridiculous. Like you said, we'll see in the fall... I'll hope for a 3 down back in day 2.

About what Jones said... Did you see the NFLN interview? If so then you wouldn't be arguing what I just said.

I know exactly what Jerry said because I saw it. I also know the context in which it was said. Regardless what anyone thinks about Jones being an every down back, no one knows at this point and that wasn't why he was drafted in the first place. As far as mentioning Emmitt and Sanders, I assume you didn't get my point, which is simply that Jones is at least as big as either of these two and he is also tough. Will he be as good? Well, I don't know that anyone will ever be as good as those two, but I can sure hope if there is one that good that he'll wear the star.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Star4Ever;2056265 said:

Star4Ever;2056295 said:

That you continue to compare Felix to Emmitt and Barry just makes anyone listening to you not trust anything you say.

And don't just assume that the guys you are talking to haven't seen Felix play.

superonyx;2056303 said:

Oh you are really proving my point with this. If we could get a true #2 with TO with our pick, we should do it, the opportunity just wasn't there. A backup "complimentary" back just wasn't needed in the first round, especially over Mendenhall.

I believe a RB is more like a fingerprint, all are different in some kinda of way. To compare them and say they are like someone is very shortsighted.

superonyx

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2056314 said:
He's not really a scatback but I will call him that because I am pissed. If you don't like it I am sorry about your disposition. About Barber, Has he proven that he can carry the load for a full season with that bruising style yet? It's always better to be safe than sorry. We picked the safe scatback today.

Well considering that Barber has not missed any time that we can find at any point in his career going all the way back through college then i would say YES. he has proven that he can last a season. He isnt fragile. He has not had a history of injury. He isnt small. Is it tough to live with your pessimistic view points? Come on chicken little. You can go outside the sky isnt really falling.

So thanks for at least admitting that you spoke out of anger when calling Felix a scatback. Now i know you are angry because Jerry didnt do what you wanted. But please exhale. Stop holding your breathe and stomping your feet. It's embarrassing.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
superonyx;2056365 said:
Well considering that Barber has not missed any time that we can find at any point in his career going all the way back through college then i would say YES. he has proven that he can last a season. He isnt fragile. He has not had a history of injury. He isnt small. Is it tough to live with your pessimistic view points? Come on chicken little. You can go outside the sky isnt really falling.

So thanks for at least admitting that you spoke out of anger when calling Felix a scatback. Now i know you are angry because Jerry didnt do what you wanted. But please exhale. Stop holding your breathe and stomping your feet. It's embarrassing.

It's really sad that you can't see the reality that @ #22 Mendenhall would have been the pick to make. That is my opinion and I am more than welcomed to it. You calling me chicken little is hilarious. I'm far from that. Yes. I am absolutely pissed and even threw up a little in my throat earlier today thanks to our magnificent whiff. I surely hope Felix Jones pans out and I will root for anyone that wears the star but this feels strikingly familiar to the Stephen Jackson whiff. Only time will tell... That said, at this moment in time I will continue to not like the Felix pick. So you got chicken little off your chest. What's next?

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056339 said:
That you continue to compare Felix to Emmitt and Barry just makes anyone listening to you not trust anything you say.

And don't just assume that the guys you are talking to haven't seen Felix play.

Oh you are really proving my point with this. If we could get a true #2 with TO with our pick, we should do it, the opportunity just wasn't there. A backup "complimentary" back just wasn't needed in the first round, especially over Mendenhall.

I believe a RB is more like a fingerprint, all are different in some kinda of way. To compare them and say they are like someone is very shortsighted.

And you apparently need some instruction in reading comprehension. I never compared Jones to Emmitt or Sanders. I compared their relative sizes in order to refute your "scatback" claim, which is not only ridiculous on the surface but in substance as well. Carry on.

superonyx

Reaction score
Deep_Freeze;2056339 said:

It was you that used a negative label on Felix Jones. So it is you that is very short sighted. You called and continue to call him a "scatback". So give us some examples of scatbacks that felix reminds you of. Have you ever seen him play? Come on fess up...

Do you know what makes less sense than drafting a running back that gives your offense more versatility in the first round? Drafting a running back that gives you what you already have in a proven player that is about to get a 30plus million dollar contract.

At least with Felix, you are adding a new element to our offense.
Why do you think he got on the field in Arkansas so much over the last 3 years with McFadden around. He must be able to do something right.