Can Mike afford to not go with experience at DC?

quickccc

Reaction score
I get Joe Whitt and Al Harris etc. Fresh and new etc. Having said that this is Mike’s final year perhaps and “all in” according to Jerry.

If it’s me I have to go find someone that has the experience. If they believe they are really that close it would be a huge gamble to go with a first time DC.
Mac does not have a choice, Jones management will hand pick the preferred DC if available - not leave it up to a Mike Nolan like choice again.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Unless you have a savant defensive mind like belicheck DC doesn't matter. You need players

Gambit

Reaction score
I get Joe Whitt and Al Harris etc. Fresh and new etc. Having said that this is Mike’s final year perhaps and “all in” according to Jerry.

If it’s me I have to go find someone that has the experience. If they believe they are really that close it would be a huge gamble to go with a first time DC.
Until I hear otherwise definitely I'm banking on it being Whitt.

It's his dream job per him he has the history with McCarthy and McCarthy wanted to interview him in 2021 for position

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to Machota a couple of weeks ago, if the Cowboys have to replace Quinn it would likely be someone with head coach experience.

Not sure I buy that.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Mike won’t be choosing the DC whether he is a lame duck, and unlame duck, a headless chicken, or whatever.

The problem arises when Jerry signs whoever he chooses to a three year deal and forces that coordinator on the new HC because he doesn’t want to eat the contract….same has he has with every single HC hire he made other than the first.

It’s beyond counterproductive, has always been problematic and never ended well, but damn if I can’t see Jerry doing it yet again.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Mike is a lame duck. I doubt he is choosing the DC.
If he’s not choosing his DC I doubt he would want to remain the HC. In Jerry’s Senior bowl interview he said Mike wanted to return. His job is on the line and if he’s fired after next season they’ll be a lot of coaching changes.

Aven8

Reaction score
Everyone is just assuming Mike is gone after one year….Jerry specifically stated he could extend him at any time.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does Mike have a choice? LO L

Seriously Jerry gave him his shot with. Nolan that aint happening again.

Aven8

Reaction score
After looking at BTB’s list I would gander at Shane Bowen from the Titans. He’s been the DC for 4 years.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Fresh and new?? No we're going to be doing what we did last year

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Mike is a lame duck. I doubt he is choosing the DC.
Exactly this.

He is getting someone who is okay with a decent paycheck for 1 year.

Personally, I'd like to see Al Harris get the nod.

Ron Rivera would be a pathetic, but typical Jones hire.

Carson

Reaction score
Exactly this.

He is getting someone who is okay with a decent paycheck for 1 year.

Personally, I'd like to see Al Harris get the nod.

Ron Rivera would be a pathetic, but typical Jones hire.
Problem is these guys are Quinn guys (Harris, Durde etc). If they can bounce they will

lostar2009

Reaction score
Tbh, JJ needs to fire MM than to let him go on like this. MM could easily extend him a 2 year extension, it doesn't come off the cap. Give the players, current coaches current/future some reliability.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
it wouldn't make me very happy to have this dude promoted but you don't know this guy's going to be a failure like being screwed seriously how do you know he's not the best up and coming dude to ever hit the NFL

you don't know what these guys can do been sitting there all these years learning and just hungry it kind of like Dan Campbell where did he come from not much, I mean the dude didn't do much everybody had a passion for the game and he knew how to talk to players and get the most out of them there's a lot of young dudes I've never heard of that have gotten promoted over the years,

so this isn't the best choice for a fan but you don't know this dude could come in here and be the next hottest defensive coordinator ever we don't know this you don't know the guy I mean have you talked to him have you listen to him and his dreams and his plans like what he would like to do as a defensive coordinator how do you know that he won't be better than Dan Quinn or some of these other names he just needs a chance..

Again, I wouldn't agree with this choice but I wouldn't be calling it a death sentence or being screwed before I heard this guy talk and seeing what he can do I mean you're basically writing this dude off as if because you don't know who he is or what he might do then you're automatically it's a bust..
From what’s been said about him he sounds like a bright young coach. Also, I think I read somewhere DQ was interested in him going with him if he landed a HC gig. So at the very least guys do think highly of him.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Where you hearing that? Broaddus said Mike Zimmer. Said he would take the job and Mike knows him really well.

I don’t know about anyone else but I would be just fine with Mike Zimmer. He’s a good defensive coach, and was able to adapt other formations and schemes to his defensive. This isn’t the worst choice or idea.

lostar2009

Reaction score
Whitt is a MM confidant. Unless Quinn gets him, he should be the DC here.
I thought Whitt was a MM guy? He spent 10 years with MM when he was the HC in GB. He only spent 1 year with DQ in Atlanta in 2020. DQ got fired and they both came over here.

Carson

Reaction score
I thought Whitt was a MM guy? He spent 10 years with MM when he was the HC in GB. He only spent 1 year with DQ in Atlanta in 2020. DQ got fired and they both came over here.
This is correct.

That is why I’m not sure Whitt bails on Mike.

He possibly could be thinking long term as Mike could be gone next season