Can Mike afford to not go with experience at DC?

Gambit

Reaction score
This is correct.

That is why I’m not sure Whitt bails on Mike.

He possibly could be thinking long term as Mike could be gone next season
Whitt makes too much sense.

Has stated DC of Cowboys is dream job
Has exp with Mike and team
Was interviewed by Mike before Dan hired

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I get Joe Whitt and Al Harris etc. Fresh and new etc. Having said that this is Mike’s final year perhaps and “all in” according to Jerry.

If it’s me I have to go find someone that has the experience. If they believe they are really that close it would be a huge gamble to go with a first time DC.
Given MM's lame duck status I find it hard to believe an experienced DC would want the job unless he has no other suitors. And if he doesn't, why not?

Jerry has put his team in a bind, again.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
and I get that Harris has said he would go with Quinn, but that's weird since he was a McCarthy hire.
Job security. MM gets canned next year and Harris is looking for a job. If DQ offers him a four year deal in DC he'd be a fool not to take it.

Aven8

Reaction score
Given MM's lame duck status I find it hard to believe an experienced DC would want the job unless he has no other suitors. And if he doesn't, why not?

He did say he just didn’t sign him at end season. He could sign him at anytime. Do I believe that? You never know with Jerry…

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Job security. MM gets canned next year and Harris is looking for a job. If DQ offers him a four year deal in DC he'd be a fool not to take it.
But turning down a DC position to go be a DB coach (lateral move) is telling. DC opportunities don't always come back around.

Look at Kris Richard since leaving Dallas.

Out of football and then back to position coach Now "Co-DC".

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Mike is a lame duck. I doubt he is choosing the DC.
Probably all the more reason to choose his DC. But you know how these things work, Mike who you thinking for DC? How about we get you in front of some of these guys, we really like this ones experience and think he would be a great fit and asset why don't you see if you agree with us?

I will say Mike got his way with moving on from Kellen.

Carson

Reaction score

Because if you succeed you can become a HC again

lostar2009

Reaction score
This is correct.

That is why I’m not sure Whitt bails on Mike.

He possibly could be thinking long term as Mike could be gone next season
Welp nvm, he just got hired as DC. So he going with DQ. Ron, more than likely at this point.

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
if im jerry, thats what i want , positive pressure.. win or out. This is the kind of pressure Mike McCarthy needs if you can't win this year and go deeper in the playoffs like an NFC championship game because you're worried about looking over your shoulder well that's the kind of pressure we need to see him overcome..

no way im allowing MM to choose anther DC sure allow his input but after Nolan and him allowing DQ to freelance without consequence. I know we don't like Jerry interfering but I think this is a case where you want Jerry to give his blessing or not and whoever's chosen and he should get the last say....
the joneses are done with MM. they fired KM for him. they brought in a number two WR. they traded for gilmore. and MM failed in the playoffs. so now you got the joneses looking at MM like ‘look all we did for you’ and it didn’t work. we not gonna extend you , you suck and can’t get the job done. worse thing of all is players see this and are not gonna show out and play their best for someone who is likely gone and has no say or control over anything within.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Whitt makes too much sense.

Has stated DC of Cowboys is dream job
Has exp with Mike and team
Was interviewed by Mike before Dan hired
he makes too much to fans but don't you think the Cowboys need to do their due diligence this is a good fall back guy but you gotta do your interviews you can't just promote from within because it feels good....

Sometimes it's better for the team to make a clean break wipe all the assistance off and let the new defensive coordinator pick his own guys for a fresh new look new philosophy new voice sometimes it's better....

Mike Zimmer, Mike vrabel ,and Rivera all should be considered heavily...

You have to go into these interviews and find out what these guys plans would be with this current roster, how they would handle the draft, and free agency to fix the defense...

you picked the best guy and if none of these dudes do it then yeah promote from within but this is pretty serious you can't just go with your comfort zone but I think Mike Zimmer is a bigger target given Jerry's love to bring back familiar names...

blueblood70

Reaction score
the joneses are done with MM. they fired KM for him. they brought in a number two WR. they traded for gilmore. and MM failed in the playoffs. so now you got the joneses looking at MM like ‘look all we did for you’ and it didn’t work. we not gonna extend you , you suck and can’t get the job done. worse thing of all is players see this and are not gonna show out and play their best for someone who is likely gone and has no say or control over anything within.
most of that's completely untrue because of they were truly done with him they would have fired him... so you can have your opinion if you want it but it doesn't make it true..

there were plenty of candidates that would have been happy to come here. they were desperate and it was NOT about money, the thing about the players quitting on a coach because he has one year on his contract is ridiculous...

if players are doing that they need to be cut off the team ASAP sabotage yourself and your year over whos coaching LMAO umm ok. sure someone never played organized spots before....

by the way add in the fact that mikes won 36 games, two division titles, and been to the playoffs 3 straight years. He must suck so bad a team quits on that ..again clueless are the statements made to that point.....

FANS POV are priceless and useless at the same time

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I get Joe Whitt and Al Harris etc. Fresh and new etc. Having said that this is Mike’s final year perhaps and “all in” according to Jerry.

If it’s me I have to go find someone that has the experience. If they believe they are really that close it would be a huge gamble to go with a first time DC.
This is the problem with having a lame duck head coach. He will be fighting just to stay afloat rather than doing what is best for this team long term.

Jerry Jones does it again.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Answering the OP question...

Mike can afford whatever Mike determines he can afford... I mean, look, the guy's been in the NFL a long time himself. He has, I'm certain, a list of names who he'd be very comfortable working with that aren't getting any buzz today. For better or worse. I mean, Mike Nolan was on that list at one time. There almost have to be others who he's worked beside in his stops before DAL that he'd feel good about giving an interview.

The question is what the question almost always has been... how much authority does the current head coach get to have in deciding who are his coordinators.

Gambit

Reaction score
but don't you think the Cowboys need to do their due diligence
14 years coaching under McCarthy plus one previous interview for the position, I'm pretty confident they know all about him.
Mike Zimmer, Mike vrabel ,and Rivera all should be considered heavily...
2 of these should be avoided at all costs, I'll let you decide which 2 it is. Hint, as a former DC for Dallas one of them has been considered and found wanting, heavily.
FANS POV are priceless and useless at the same time
Would that include yours?