Can Mike afford to not go with experience at DC?

Aven8

Reaction score
Throwing a name out there folks.

Jim Haslett. He and Mike spent all that time in the barn that one year. Former HC and DC and now the inside LB coach at Tennessee.

blueblood70

Reaction score
14 years coaching under McCarthy plus one previous interview for the position, I'm pretty confident they know all about him.

2 of these should be avoided at all costs, I'll let you decide which 2 it is. Hint, as a former DC for Dallas one of them has been considered and found wanting, heavily.

Would that include yours?
Of course it would but history says otherwise, Joe probably going with Dan Quinn and we're gonna hire without looking from within that would be what I would bet on and you're saying we should stay away from guys who other teams are actually interviewing literally you forget that some of these guys were better coordinators then head coaches or they needed a fresh start somewhere you say avoid them I say how could it get much worse??

In my opinion if any of these guys that are leftover from Dan Quinn are gonna run anything similar I don't want it we need a change if it wasn't gonna be all the coaches starting with Mike McCarthy did at least fans can have hope if somebody comes in here with a fresh set of eyes and has a better plan for the current players and how we draft and how we may fall in love with linebackers again that aren't 210 lbs..lol

I mean if it were that easy and they already had their mind made-up and Joe wit wasn't going then why would he hired immediately why didn't the contract already been drawn up with an X on it and they don't even need to do these interviews the fact that they're doing his interviews tells me something else and I'm gonna go with my gut and say Joe wit is probably not staying... Al Harris is a nice name but I don't think that that's what the Cowboys need to really push Mike McCartney and I believe that's what's going on here as you bring in a guy like Mike rabel or even Rivera or Zimmer that could possibly be a head coach and push Mike McCarthy and his lame duck gear to have his best year.... You want to put the pressure on the guy you don't want things to be status quo and just simply bringing on his buddy of 14 years seems like another Nolan move even if it's going to provide better results.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Throwing a name out there folks.

Jim Haslett. He and Mike spent all that time in the barn that one year. Former HC and DC and now the inside LB coach at Tennessee.
Well, that's a name I wouldn't have thought of however the fact that nobody else in the media or anybody has even mentioned that name, I mean I don't even know what the dude's doing right now, doubt he's even on their radar..

I am curious at how fast they're going to make this decision like will it be by next Friday are they going to interview five guys did they already have one guy in mind they're just doing their due diligence?? I know fans want to know tomorrow but I'm hoping by next Friday they have a decision... Have all their interviews done by Wednesday think about it on Thursday hire someone on Friday and let's get this moving,

although knowing Jerry Jones he'll announce it on Super Bowl Sunday , you want to use that platform to have it go viral on who he hired...

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mike will need to balance hiring for experience and hiring someone who wants to rebuild the defense to their liking. He's going to need a more experienced DC to run that side of the ball since he's not able to help as much esp since he is in control of the offense personally. The exception might be if he can get Joe Witt to stay on as DC. But also make sure you give Joe some experienced assistants who can help him.

Gambit

Reaction score
Of course it would but history says otherwise, Joe probably going with Dan Quinn and we're gonna hire without looking from within that would be what I would bet on and you're saying we should stay away from guys who other teams are actually interviewing literally you forget that some of these guys were better coordinators then head coaches or they needed a fresh start somewhere you say avoid them I say how could it get much worse??

In my opinion if any of these guys that are leftover from Dan Quinn are gonna run anything similar I don't want it we need a change if it wasn't gonna be all the coaches starting with Mike McCarthy did at least fans can have hope if somebody comes in here with a fresh set of eyes and has a better plan for the current players and how we draft and how we may fall in love with linebackers again that aren't 210 lbs..lol

I mean if it were that easy and they already had their mind made-up and Joe wit wasn't going then why would he hired immediately why didn't the contract already been drawn up with an X on it and they don't even need to do these interviews the fact that they're doing his interviews tells me something else and I'm gonna go with my gut and say Joe wit is probably not staying... Al Harris is a nice name but I don't think that that's what the Cowboys need to really push Mike McCartney and I believe that's what's going on here as you bring in a guy like Mike rabel or even Rivera or Zimmer that could possibly be a head coach and push Mike McCarthy and his lame duck gear to have his best year.... You want to put the pressure on the guy you don't want things to be status quo and just simply bringing on his buddy of 14 years seems like another Nolan move even if it's going to provide better results.
We get it, the Guy who says fans pov is useless continues to give his pov about someone they know nothing about.

It's actually quite priceless.

Rivera hasn't coached a defense in 15 years. Zimmer since 2013. Vrabel doesn't currently appear to be taking any DC interviews suggesting he may take year off from coaching.

Why don't you put down your speech to text app, pull up Google, Google Joe Whitt Jr and learn about him some, yesterday you wanted to blame the "water melon kickoff" on him.

I'd much prefer a younger coach like Whitt than a 62 yr old Rivera or 67 year old Zimmer who haven't coached a defense in the modern NFL.

Doesn't have to be Whitt Jr, it just seems like the logical choice. But please no more retreads get younger and innovative.

What about a Brando Staley, Ejiro Evero (if he comes available) Shane Bowen etc. All younger hungry innovative coaches.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We get it, the Guy who says fans pov is useless continues to give his pov about someone they know nothing about.

It's actually quite priceless.

Rivera hasn't coached a defense in 15 years. Zimmer since 2013. Vrabel doesn't currently appear to be taking any DC interviews suggesting he may take year off from coaching.

Why don't you put down your speech to text app, pull up Google, Google Joe Whitt Jr and learn about him some, yesterday you wanted to blame the "water melon kickoff" on him.

I'd much prefer a younger coach like Whitt than a 62 yr old Rivera or 67 year old Zimmer who haven't coached a defense in the modern NFL.

Doesn't have to be Whitt Jr, it just seems like the logical choice. But please no more retreads get younger and innovative.

What about a Brando Staley, Ejiro Evero (if he comes available) Shane Bowen etc. All younger hungry innovative coaches.
I'm not even going to read that but I think you should read it over and over since you're feeling yourself right now..lol

giphy.gif

TRUTH87

Cowboy for Life
Reaction score
most of that's completely untrue because of they were truly done with him they would have fired him... so you can have your opinion if you want it but it doesn't make it true..

there were plenty of candidates that would have been happy to come here. they were desperate and it was NOT about money, the thing about the players quitting on a coach because he has one year on his contract is ridiculous...

if players are doing that they need to be cut off the team ASAP sabotage yourself and your year over whos coaching LMAO umm ok. sure someone never played organized spots before....

by the way add in the fact that mikes won 36 games, two division titles, and been to the playoffs 3 straight years. He must suck so bad a team quits on that ..again clueless are the statements made to that point.....

FANS POV are priceless and useless at the same time

only reason MM is still here is bc FO likes their puppet coach. they like the comfort. how could they not? they sabotaged him from the get go w their brilliant offensive guru in the building Kellen Moore.

& you say MM has won 36 games and two division titles and yet the joneses ARE NOT gonna extend him lol in all honesty who would? he’s choked big time when it counts. it’s superbowl or bust around here for our lame duck sitting coach this season and losing the players is a real possibility.

have you forgotten what happened to Wade? another puppet. or how about JG? another puppet. this trend is in our FO’s DNA.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Can Mike afford to not go with experience at DC? what would the results be if he didn't?

Portnoy1

Reaction score
It’s got to be Zimmer! He will get some great use out of Micah and pair him with another stud LB and get a Dlineman or two to keep them clean. He’ll have some exotic blitzes and we’ll be right back on top defensively. Also the run will be stopped so there will be more pass rushing opportunities as well.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
McCarthy won't have any say in the DC just as he didn't have any say in keeping Kellen Moore. He is going to be assigned a DC and the circus will continue.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
It’s got to be Zimmer! He will get some great use out of Micah and pair him with another stud LB and get a Dlineman or two to keep them clean. He’ll have some exotic blitzes and we’ll be right back on top defensively. Also the run will be stopped so there will be more pass rushing opportunities as well.
You are missing one thing here my friend. Stephen Jones and his thought that spending money on LB's is unwanted.

Aven8

Reaction score
Now Broaddus and The Fan are saying, Whitt Jr, Rivera, Zimm, and Vrabel.

He said Zimm would bring a toughness to the D that they have been missing with DQ.

I like the idea of Vrabel myself. He supposedly hasn’t ruled out not taking the year off.

Cmac

Reaction score
No to the thread question.......we don't need to have a Kellen Moore on the defensive side now.

bigE79

Reaction score
There's no way mm will go with an unknown rookie DC in a must win season to save his job.

Portnoy1

Reaction score
You are missing one thing here my friend. Stephen Jones and his thought that spending money on LB's is unwanted.
We only need one decent LB to pair with Parsons. May already have that in overshawn although I doubt it. If we get one in FA that may be enough. Parsons with a solid LB fixes a bunch of problems and zimmer can do his thing

Big_D

Reaction score
After looking at BTB’s list I would gander at Shane Bowen from the Titans. He’s been the DC for 4 years.

I like Bowen.. that would be a good choice. A young, up and coming coach who already has DC experience.