Can The NFL Fans Do A No-Show One Week To Send a Message?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Please bring your virtue signaling to a forum better suited for sanctimonious blowhards.
He's right though. If there was an obvious, transparent attempt to work on a resolution instead of trying to discredit why there is an issue, the protests would end. Instead, all you get is a hijacked message and people pointing to an example or two that might have not been a valid issue to discount what has been going on for over 200 years.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
But others provide a perspective that is more interesting, like the black female that told me that she got pulled over for doing nothing once and the cop claimed her windows were too darkly tinted. It provided me with that perspective that many black people actually think that they are the only ones that get pulled over when they did nothing and this never happens to white people.
I can say that a lot of black don't think that your situation never happens to white people. Its what happens AFTER the pull over that's the problem. And no, I am not talking about something violent happening.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
If it really mattered to them they would do it on their on time ......... they are sacrificing nothing in how they are "protesting" now.
Here in lies a problem. For one, there is no rule that requires standing for the national anthem. Two, "doing it on your own time" would really defeat the point of a protest. How many athletes does the average person pay attention to when they are not doing or saying something "outlandish"?

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Here in lies a problem. For one, there is no rule that requires standing for the national anthem. Two, "doing it on your own time" would really defeat the point of a protest. How many athletes does the average person pay attention to when they are not doing or saying something "outlandish"?

OK ........ if all the NFL players showed up in times square they would be swarmed by media ......... they would get just as much if not more publicity that way.

But they would rather do it the lazy way and kneel for a few minutes while they are at work.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I can say that a lot of black don't think that your situation never happens to white people. Its what happens AFTER the pull over that's the problem. And no, I am not talking about something violent happening.

I don't understand your point. White people get tickets for minor crap all of the time. They get followed by cops after a ticket all of the time.

And again, there's a big difference between institutional and individual racism. Just like black people do not like being labeled as criminals because their violent crime rate is disproportionate to their population, cops don't like being labeled as racists when less than 0.0001% of black men are unjustly killed by cops.

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Here in lies a problem. For one, there is no rule that requires standing for the national anthem.

There's a lot of things there is no rule for.

A white player could start goose stepping in a Hail Hitler pose as they walked onto the field. There's no rule for that and I would be willing to bet that it would be handled differently.

Two, "doing it on your own time" would really defeat the point of a protest. How many athletes does the average person pay attention to when they are not doing or saying something "outlandish"?

I think a lot of people pay attention. Just like they did when Jim Brown, Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul Jabbar had the Ali Summit on a Sunday Afternoon in Cleveland.

YR

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Its funny how people who support the players right to protest are against the fans right to protest the players.

Not that I think this idea will work anymore than millionaires kneeling while they are getting paid said millions while a song plays.

I support the players' right to protest.
I support the other side protesting that protest.

And when people on either side of the fence tell me I shouldn't watch football because the snowflakes on their side are in the correct view, I politely dismiss then while I imagine how funny it would be to watch them get smoked by a bus.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
I don't understand your point. White people get tickets for minor crap all of the time. They get followed by cops after a ticket all of the time.

And again, there's a big difference between institutional and individual racism. Just like black people do not like being labeled as criminals because their violent crime rate is disproportionate to their population, cops don't like being labeled as racists when less than 0.0001% of black men are unjustly killed by cops.

YR
YR, you seem to be stuck on what you believe/do not believe happened in those specific, high profile, situations. I am asking you to move past that. Just because you don't know of racism that happens in a lot of scenarios with cops, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Agreed, its hurtful and stupid to label all police or even all white people of being racists. But that's what black people are talking about! Stop treating them or labeling them a certain way based on your perception. And yes, I believe that while those specific things happen to white people too, other more belittling behaviors in addition to what you said happens to black people all the time.

What prompted that volunteer Fire Chief to say what he said about Mike Tomlin? Are you going to tell me that he is the only person that feels that way?

I was recently in the car with a buddy of mine and we got pulled over for expired tags. Coincidentally, we just left the DMV where he had his new plates issued to him. Even though he explained to the police officer that he had his clean tags and current registration sitting in my lap, the police officer's response was "You should have had them where they were supposed to be boy. You can clear it up on your court date." Unbelievable. He couldn't just let us get home to use tools to put the tag on. I can understand why he would think such behavior is racially motivated especially when he has white friends that get pulled over for far more egregious things and are told "just get it fixed as soon as you can so you don't keep getting pulled over"

Sydla

Reaction score
I think you misunderstand ........they are not doing this on their own time ....... they are doing it while making millions of dollars at work.

If it really mattered to them they would do it on their on time ......... they are sacrificing nothing in how they are "protesting" now.

Another myth. Many of the players who protested do things off the field. Kaepernick donated a million dollars and tons of his time to working this cause.

And it's more bizarre that anyone would have a problem with them protesting BEFORE the game is even played. I mean I guess I might buy that line of reasoning if the players were doing something DURING THE ACTUAL GAME.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I was recently in the car with a buddy of mine and we got pulled over for expired tags. Coincidentally, we just left the DMV where he had his new plates issued to him. Even though he explained to the police officer that he had his clean tags and current registration sitting in my lap, the police officer's response was "You should have had them where they were supposed to be boy. You can clear it up on your court date." Unbelievable."

That is disgraceful ......... I have had very similar things done to me as well and their is never an excuse for it.

I advise for everyone to put recorders in their vehicles ......... it does not cost much anymore and when cops know you have them in there it makes a lot of difference.

Sydla

Reaction score
There's a lot of things there is no rule for.

A white player could start goose stepping in a Hail Hitler pose as they walked onto the field. There's no rule for that and I would be willing to bet that it would be handled differently.

I think a lot of people pay attention. Just like they did when Jim Brown, Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul Jabbar had the Ali Summit on a Sunday Afternoon in Cleveland.

YR

Hard to take anyone seriously that tries to somehow on some level come up with an equivalency between peacefully protesting and doing a **** salute.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
YR, you seem to be stuck on what you believe/do not believe happened in those specific, high profile, situations. I am asking you to move past that. Just because you don't know of racism that happens in a lot of scenarios with cops, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Agreed, its hurtful and stupid to label all police or even all white people of being racists. But that's what black people are talking about! Stop treating them or labeling them a certain way based on your perception. And yes, I believe that while those specific things happen to white people too, other more belittling behaviors in addition to what you said happens to black people all the time.

What prompted that volunteer Fire Chief to say what he said about Mike Tomlin? Are you going to tell me that he is the only person that feels that way?

I was recently in the car with a buddy of mine and we got pulled over for expired tags. Coincidentally, we just left the DMV where he had his new plates issued to him. Even though he explained to the police officer that he had his clean tags and current registration sitting in my lap, the police officer's response was "You should have had them where they were supposed to be boy. You can clear it up on your court date." Unbelievable. He couldn't just let us get home to use tools to put the tag on. I can understand why he would think such behavior is racially motivated especially when he has white friends that get pulled over for far more egregious things and are told "just get it fixed as soon as you can so you don't keep getting pulled over"
Do you think that cop isn't accountable to someone? The judge will dismiss the citation and the cop will be counseled for wasting everybody's time.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Do you think that cop isn't accountable to someone? The judge will dismiss the citation and the cop will be counseled for wasting everybody's time.
Thats not the point. Why should the citizen have to go through that to begin with?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Thats not the point. Why should the citizen have to go through that to begin with?
Because we respect our police force and comply when they pull us over. They aren't perfect. Demanding perfection from them is just as irrational as the cop was not allowing your friend to drive away with a warning. If they are in the wrong, it will roll to whom they are accountable.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
I think you misunderstand ........they are not doing this on their own time ....... they are doing it while making millions of dollars at work.

If it really mattered to them they would do it on their on time ......... they are sacrificing nothing in how they are "protesting" now.[/QUOT

If some people were honest though they would admit that no time is right for protesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.