News: Can Tony Romo Ever Get The Respect His Play Demands?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Can Tony Romo Ever Get The Respect His Play Demands?
By Tom Ryle

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015...ny-romo-ever-get-the-respect-his-play-demands

There are few NFL players more polarizing than Tony Romo. People who write about and just follow the NFL alike seem to either think very highly of him, or still believe he is a second-rate quarterback who chokes at crucial times. In past years, he has gotten the usual disproportionate credit for the lack of success of the Dallas Cowboys, but after the very strong year he had in 2014, he has not gotten the commensurate praise from many of the same sources. For fans of the team who have seen how much of the load he carried on his shoulders in the bad years, and who were so thrilled to see him have success last year, it is maddening. Especially when you consider that he is one of the better citizens in the league.

1. 2:40 PM - 22 Jun 2015 · Details
    " data-name="Tom Ryle" data-screen-name="TomRyleBTB" data-permalink-path="/TomRyleBTB/status/613099196929867776" data-item-id="613099196929867776" data-disclosure-type="" data-tweet-id="613099196929867776">
    Tom Ryle ‏@TomRyleBTB 24h24 hours ago
    Tom Ryle retweeted Pro Football Focus

But John Clayton still doesn't see Romo in the top 10 QBs. https://twitter.com/PFF/status/613093607810199552…

Tom Ryle added,

CIIlYbgWgAAx5sO.jpg

CIIlYbiWcAAZnk_.jpg

CIIlYbmWwAAaKj-.jpg

Pro Football Focus @PFF
    Since 2012, Brees (34) has the most deep passing TDs (20+ yds) of any QB, followed by P. Manning (32) and Romo (31). 2 retweets 3 favorites
    Retweet 2 Retweeted 2
    Favorite 3 Favorited 3
    More

Last edited by a moderator:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I really think Romo does not give a **** about who respects him or not...he knows who he is and what he does.

I think part of him is like that but I also think like any athlete out there things like becoming a HOF'er holds importance and being looked at as a top player in his profession. I think Romo does a great job of not letting it get to him but I also think those outside accolades matter

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I think part of him is like that but I also think like any athlete out there things like becoming a HOF'er holds importance and being looked at as a top player in his profession. I think Romo does a great job of not letting it get to him but I also think those outside accolades matter

How would those accolades matter? They don't have any affect on football games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
How would those accolades matter? They don't have any affect on football games.

All player have pride and all work hard to achieve goals. The accolades matter when they come from those who have a say in who makes the HOF or not. Romo does not let it get to him but he has also said in an interview that he understand the only way he will be looked at as a top QB is by winning the SB. He knows the QB who were here before him and the expectations placed on the QB position in Dallas.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
All player have pride and all work hard to achieve goals. The accolades matter when they come from those who have a say in who makes the HOF or not. Romo does not let it get to him but he has also said in an interview that he understand the only way he will be looked at as a top QB is by winning the SB. He knows the QB who were here before him and the expectations placed on the QB position in Dallas.

I agree with that, but I don't think Romo is looking that far ahead to the HOF or what the media or anyone else thinks about him.

One big quote that put a lot of fans down on Romo was when he stated that if he never wins a SB his life will still go on or be good or something like that. I think Romo is comfortable with who he is and not what he can become, because if it does come, hey good for him.

ufcrules loves him! So does Clove.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Can Tony Romo Ever Get The Respect His Play Demands?
By Tom Ryle

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2015...ny-romo-ever-get-the-respect-his-play-demands

There are few NFL players more polarizing than Tony Romo. People who write about and just follow the NFL alike seem to either think very highly of him, or still believe he is a second-rate quarterback who chokes at crucial times. In past years, he has gotten the usual disproportionate credit for the lack of success of the Dallas Cowboys, but after the very strong year he had in 2014, he has not gotten the commensurate praise from many of the same sources. For fans of the team who have seen how much of the load he carried on his shoulders in the bad years, and who were so thrilled to see him have success last year, it is maddening. Especially when you consider that he is one of the better citizens in the league.

1. 2:40 PM - 22 Jun 2015 · Details
    " data-name="Tom Ryle" data-screen-name="TomRyleBTB" data-permalink-path="/TomRyleBTB/status/613099196929867776" data-item-id="613099196929867776" data-disclosure-type="" data-tweet-id="613099196929867776">
    Tom Ryle ‏@TomRyleBTB 24h24 hours ago
    Tom Ryle retweeted Pro Football Focus

But John Clayton still doesn't see Romo in the top 10 QBs. https://twitter.com/PFF/status/613093607810199552…

Tom Ryle added,

CIIlYbgWgAAx5sO.jpg

CIIlYbiWcAAZnk_.jpg

CIIlYbmWwAAaKj-.jpg

Pro Football Focus @PFF
    Since 2012, Brees (34) has the most deep passing TDs (20+ yds) of any QB, followed by P. Manning (32) and Romo (31). 2 retweets 3 favorites
    Retweet 2 Retweeted 2
    Favorite 3 Favorited 3
    More

The latest example of this comes from John Clayton of ESPN. Now, I don't want to say the national ESPN site is at times a hotbed of anti-Romo sentiment, but the national ESPN site is at times a hotbed of anti-Romo sentiment. You think they would learn from the past, but apparently this little example continues to slip from their memories.

BtPZnyjIEAEaf3L.png:large

No, I most emphatically have not forgotten.

In his contribution to this often ludicrous viewpoint, Clayton was responding to a question about who he thought would be the best NFL quarterbacks over the next three years. The question came from someone in Dallas, who apparently was looking for some input on Romo's chance of being a top flight quarterback the next few seasons. But Clayton apparently did not see Romo as being in that discussion. He listed the top eight quarterbacks, as he saw it, over those three years. And Romo was not included once, not even as an honorable mention.

Oh, really? It seems Clayton was unimpressed by the very strong year that Romo had last season, when he tossed 34 touchdowns and only nine interceptions. Or the year before, when he was carrying a much heavier load and still had 31 TDs and only 10 INTs in 15 games. No weight was given to the fact he had the highest quarterback rating in the NFL in 2014. When he went on an absolute tear in December, and had his season end because the defense let the team down in failing to get to a hobbled Aaron Rodgers and the referees made a slightly questionable call on one of the best passes of the year. He didn't think Pro Football Focus' having Romo as the sixth best QB in the league counted, and their system uses a cumulative scoring that in effect cost him points because he was not having to carry the team. And it does look like Clayton has not heard that Romo is in the best health he has been in for years and got in a full workload in the OTAs and minicamp, where he looked very, very sharp.

Is this just ignorance or actual prejudice? I vote for a healthy dose of both. But I am admittedly a fan of the team and Romo. Would an objective writer see this the same way?

Do you consider Todd Archer, one of ESPN's team of Dallas beat writers, objective? Because he doesn't get Clayton's take, either.

Quarterback rankings are always a lively debate. Arguments and opinions are always going to differ.

But not to have Romo in the top 11?

If Bob in Dallas wants my answer for 2015 it would be this: Rodgers, Brady, Luck, Roethlisberger, Peyton Manning and Romo.

Ranked sixth may seem a bit low to many readers here, but it at least puts Romo clearly in the top ten, which from any objective analysis is hard to dispute. Rodgers and Brady are hard to argue with, but Andrew Luck has not really proven he is a top ten quarterback. His rating last season was a respectable but not spectacular 96.5. PFF had him eighth. Ben Roethlisberger I think is pretty much on a level with Romo, and Peyton Manning just does not quite have the magic he once did. A healthy Romo is clearly in the mix here, which is Archer's point.

Given that Romo has a superb offensive line, a couple of world class receivers in Dez Bryant and Jason Witten, two more very good targets in Terrance Williams and Cole Beasley, and a defense that we hope is going to take the next step, and this year's Cowboys may make it even farther this season. I won't make any predictions here, but I will state a hope that the Cowboys are going to make Clayton and his ilk eat their words.

But I don't expect them to give him any credit if the team does equal or better its success from last year. They seem to be genetically incapable of doing so.

And we are not going to forget.

They give Romo"s success to DeMarco....the other 11 years don't exist. Just as I rightly give most of DeMarco's success to our O-line and the commitment to it. No matter how many times he ran into the back of the blocker. It succeeded in spite of him. Tony has 10 years of analytics to challenge their foolishness.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
I agree with that, but I don't think Romo is looking that far ahead to the HOF or what the media or anyone else thinks about him.

One big quote that put a lot of fans down on Romo was when he stated that if he never wins a SB his life will still go on or be good or something like that. I think Romo is comfortable with who he is and not what he can become, because if it does come, hey good for him.

ufcrules loves him! So does Clove.

Not this fan. Tony understood where he came from....waaay up he felt blessed.

Last edited:

USMarineVet

Reaction score
We live in a world based on ratings, clicks and shares. As long as the general public is gonna get in a twist every time Romo is downplayed, promoting hot debate, the media is going to continue to do so. It's the world we live in.

Numbers don't lie. But the media moguls do. That's why you don't hear any of this concerning RG III or whoever the QB of the Eagles is this week. They continue to go with what stimulates conversation and that would be Tony Romo and where his legacy stands in the NFL.

If they were being honest and objective, he certainly wouldn't be rated as poorly as we've see them do every other week. Once he gets his Super Bowl, it's a whole different ball game. That's when you stick the bar of soap in all their mouths and watch them chew.