News: Can Tony Romo Ever Get The Respect His Play Demands?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agreed that if Tony wins a Superbowl he goes from HOF longshot to HOF certainty IMHO.

He would need at least 2 SB wins to make the Hall of Fame because when his career ends he'll be way outside the top 10 on the all-time passing list with several of his peers ranked ahead of him. Too many of his peers are going to have more yards and TDs than him so he needs multiple SB wins to make the Hall of Fame.

perrykemp

Reaction score
He would need at least 2 SB wins to make the Hall of Fame because when his career ends he'll be way outside the top 10 on the all-time passing list with several of his peers ranked ahead of him.

KJJ:

I respect your takes, however, I disagree with you. Romo's performance last season silenced a lot of critics. If he followed that up with a similar season AND a Superbowl victory, I think it would cement his spot in HOF.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
KJJ:

I respect your takes, however, I disagree with you. Romo's performance last season silenced a lot of critics. If he followed that up with a similar season AND a Superbowl victory, I think it would cement his spot in HOF.

Going 1-1 in the playoffs after missing the postseason the previous 4 seasons isn't going to silence many if any of his critics. Someone just posted a 2015 QB ranking and Romo was ranked 10th so he's still not getting much respect despite an MVP caliber season. One SB win isn't going to "cement" the spot for any QB in the HOF except for Joe Namath. Romo is currently 29th on the all-time passing list with 8 current QB's ranked ahead of him. Rodgers and Ryan are gaining on him and you have the young guns like Andrew Luck who'll likely finish ahead of Romo if he remains healthy.

Although Romo's career numbers are very good they're not going to be near good enough for one SB win to get him voted into the HOF. Of Romo's peers you have Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers who are HOF locks. You then have Eli and Roethlisberger who are on the bubble for the HOF and they have multiple SB wins. Romo is playing in an era where there's a number of HOF caliber QB's he's contending with so he's going to be canceled out unless he wins multiple SB's. That's my opinion.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
One other point when Warren Moon was voted into the HOF I believe he was 4th on the all-time passing list and this was five years after he retired. Five years after Romo retires he'll be lucky if he's still in the top 30 on the all-time passing list. The key for qualifying for the HOF is to be dominant within your era and although Romo has been very good there's several current QB's that have been better than him. Losing the big head to head battles to Eli and Rodgers in the playoffs isn't helping Romo's cause any. Aikman was voted into the HOF due to his 3 championships and beating 3 future Hall of Fame QB's during the postseason.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Romo's career TD to turnover ratio ranks fourth behind Rodgers, Brady and Manning but ahead of Brees, Steve Young, Warner, Dan Marino and John Elway. The Cowboys have won 61% of their regular season games with him at QB which ranks Romo 7th among active QB's with at least 100 starts ahead of Brees and Eli Manning as well as Troy Aikman, Y.A. Tittle, Bobby Layne, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts and Warren Moon. When you look at stats like that it definitely puts Romo in the HOF conversation but you have to convince a committee and multiple championships have been proven to be very convincing.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You can call the injury whatever you want. If you want to call it a "broken back" it's not wrong in general. and i did not want to prove else.

What i wanted to say its about the message yousend when you say "broken back". A broken back implicates a broken bone in the back. A broken bone usually is a bone that is broken into 2 halfs. And the site of fracture goes thru the whole bone. That is what people expect when we talk about a "broken" bone, or back. And that kind of injury is very severe.

Now what Romo had is not a broken bone in that sense. It was more of a splitt off from the vertebrae. It is nothing severe nor has it any affect when you try to move (or play) with it other then the pain you have to endure. But (again) it was put like Romo had a broken back - means he had a broken vertrebrae. Which means he was near lameness.

A question ? If other players play thru that kind of injury (like you wrote) and you all call them warriors. Where is that special thing about being a warrior then ? I call a person a warrior when he does something that not everybody does. He has to do/be something special. Just read the comments from that one college QB. He put it like it was nothing to play thru it. But when Romo injured he went thru rehab like he got both legs amputated. The way he acts on the field after he gets injured i can understand that people view him like a warrior. The way stories get hyped after he gets injured i can understand people too. What i think is: This is the NFL and the DC. Everything will be made a little bigger. Because this is what sells the brand. And thats all this is about.

But then to me its very important that i emphasis (again) that i think he is a good QB and i am happy we have one.

I have never been undescerning (like you wrote "degree of intrangsigence") regarding other peoples view of Tony Romo being a warrior. In fact i emphasized that i only talked about my opinion. Everybody has opinions. They may be correct or not. Mine maybe wrong maybe not. But i dont care if you think i maybe wrong. My intention was and is not to be with someone "on the same page". Sharing opinions is not about having the same opinion in the end. Its about extending your intellectual horizon. This is a board - one of it's tasks is to let people talk about and so share opinions.

Maybe you should think about that. I have the feeling you do not fully understand that. The way you post it's more about you trying everything to be right then sharing things with others to be a more educated person after that. In the end you are one of the Moderators here and you should think about those things if you have the will (and goal) to be a good one. That's just the feeling that i get when i read your posts. I dont want to be to personal. But i had to get a bit offensive because of the way you try to make up your points.

We're not ever going to agree re Tony's toughness, so let's just leave that one lie I guess.

No worries about your comments re my posting style. I definitely condescend to some arguments. Not because I don't think this is a place to exchange opinions, but because I don't believe all opinions are equal and a vigorous debate is the way to sort the good ones out.

Hopefully, we all end up better informed, though I see why some posters get irritated along the way. I'm ok with that as long as it stays respectful.

Garrettop

Reaction score
He would need at least 2 SB wins to make the Hall of Fame because when his career ends he'll be way outside the top 10 on the all-time passing list with several of his peers ranked ahead of him. Too many of his peers are going to have more yards and TDs than him so he needs multiple SB wins to make the Hall of Fame.

As much as I hate it you are probably right.