News: Can Tony Romo Ever Get The Respect His Play Demands?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
At the heart of this is the fact that there are only two elements that come into play -- a player's performance, and your perception of it. All you need to do in order to form an opinion is to look at the performance. You don't need validation from a third party. If you're thinking, "maybe that guy understands the criteria better than I do," that means you need to compare your criteria with his and find out.

What are the criteria for determining the value of an individual player? For quarterbacks, that's passing performance. Ok, so who are the best passers? In 2014, they were Romo, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Manning, and Brady, in that order. How consistently has the player performed at that level? Have there been extreme ups and downs that would indicate that the player seems to perform well on good teams, but poorly on teams that aren't as good? Three of those players have been among the Top 10 passers every season they've played: Manning, Rodgers, and Romo.

Wheeltax

Reaction score
How consistently has the player performed at that level? Have there been extreme ups and downs that would indicate that the player seems to perform well on good teams, but poorly on teams that aren't as good? Three of those players have been among the Top 10 passers every season they've played: Manning, Rodgers, and Romo.

I like this observation in particular because it would force someone to admit that either the Cowboys have been good since Romo has been in the league (not true), or that Romo has been consistently good (true).

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
I like this observation in particular because it would force someone to admit that either the Cowboys have been good since Romo has been in the league (not true), or that Romo has been consistently good (true).
It would force them to think, at least. Instead of trusting an authoritative figure who writes an article that scratches the surface with no more thought than that which is required to scratch his own butt.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
He was immediately compared to the greats because his ridiculous numbers and gutsy performances (those 8-8 years were more like 4-12 without Romo). But people forget he was a nobody, undrafted camp body that was gonna lose his roster spot to guys like Quincy Carter or Vinny Testaverde. Instead he's overcame all the odds and immediately resurrected a fallen franchise.

GMs, coaches, coordinators and especially players know how good he is. It took him some time to make the cycle through and play every team at least once - so every guy at this point is like 'that Romo dude is nice.'

Look what he did to the NFLs best defender J.J. Watt.

League's best defense that never loses at home? Lit em up for 30 and dropped a dime on Terrance Williams in the crunch.

On the road in Green Bay? 4th down and your season on the line. Whole world watching. The man went up top to his playmaker, he didn't lay up - he went for it all. That's the stuff legends are made of. And if that call goes our way I have no doubt that monentum propels us through Seattle, again - and who knows after that?

It's not a coincidence that the year he finally gets some semblance of a defense and a running game, we suddenly become legit NFC title contenders.

The guy is one of the best in the business and has delivered at a staggeringly efficient rate for damn near a decade now.

So the good news is, we know it wasn't a fluke - as long as 9 is upright we have a shot. At least I've always felt that way, and even in some of you haters minds - you have to.

Nice piece. And I like the way you discussed the Dez no-catch without bogging the piece down in controversy.

Everyone knows Romo is a playmaker. He was when he first came on the scene. He had to grow just like all quarterbacks. I think he's going to play lights out this season, and I think he's going to win league MVP and, possibly, Super Bowl MVP. :)

Hopes high, much? :)

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo has been receiving the respect he deserves for a long time. Certainly, there should be more of a concensus but all observers do not comprehend team concept. Far too much misunderstanding focuses on quarterback play alone and not upon all influences that affect wins and losses.

It's funny. I still remember how John Elway was disrespected. His play was indicative of a true Hall of Famer but three of his Broncos teams fell short of winning the Super Bowl. Observers would basically say Elway was good or great but not good enough to win it all. Of course, Elway enjoyed better team play and better coaching late in his career, which helped him win back-to-back Super Bowls. Not surprisingly, those who said Elway was good or great but not good enough changed much of the rhetoric to "He's a great quarterback."

It is what it is. Hopefully Romo gives little credence to much of the criticism directed at him and continue to do whatever he can to help Dallas win a championship. He has control over that aspect of his play. He has zero control over perception. He should afford the latter the proper respect (lol! pun!) it deserves--namely zlitch.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think he will ever get the recognition he deserves, even if he gets a ring. The Romo hate is too far entrenched into the haters psyche to admit he's not what they say. There will be excuses as to why it was a fluke.

It may literally take 500 yd, 4TD 0 int per game, an undefeated season, plus beating all teams with the same exact stats in the playoffs and the Super Bowl, and maybe, just maybe, they will say he's ok.
IMO, there is a lot of truth in this post.

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
Nice piece. And I like the way you discussed the Dez no-catch without bogging the piece down in controversy.

Everyone knows Romo is a playmaker. He was when he first came on the scene. He had to grow just like all quarterbacks. I think he's going to play lights out this season, and I think he's going to win league MVP and, possibly, Super Bowl MVP. :)

Hopes high, much? :)

If that's the case then they better start getting that bust ready in Canton.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Two career playoff wins. Nope. This won't do it, yet, Tony. there are active QBs today with two career Super Bowl wins and your postseason play so far half been below average for so-called Cowboy superstar QB.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Your postseason play so far half been below average for so-called Cowboy superstar QB.
Romo's postseason play has been right up there with the Cowboys' greats, although his sample size is smaller.

Aikman 88.3 (91-99 avg: 77.2) +11.1
Staubach 76.0 (71-79 avg: 65.2) +10.8
Romo 93.0 (06-14 avg: 84.1) +8.9
White 71.6 (78-85 avg: 72.7) -1.1

The first number is postseason passer rating, followed by the NFL average passer rating for the seasons listed. The last number is how that player compares with his peers of that era. Aikman, Staubach, and Romo all have playoff ratings within 2.2 points of each other when adjusted for era.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Romo's postseason play has been right up there with the Cowboys' greats, although his sample size is smaller.

Aikman 88.3 (91-99 avg: 77.2) +11.1
Staubach 76.0 (71-79 avg: 65.2) +10.8
Romo 93.0 (06-14 avg: 84.1) +8.9
White 71.6 (78-85 avg: 72.7) -1.1

The first number is postseason passer rating, followed by the NFL average passer rating for the seasons listed. The last number is how that player compares with his peers of that era. Aikman, Staubach, and Romo all have playoff ratings within 2.2 points of each other when adjusted for era.

Yes, his sample size is smaller.
But, bless yo heart, we can all pretend he ranks with the best as far as playoffs.

Staubacher

Reaction score
Two career playoff wins. Nope. This won't do it, yet, Tony. there are active QBs today with two career Super Bowl wins and your postseason play so far half been below average for so-called Cowboy superstar QB.

He is the Cowboys superstar QB. Yo half a problem but the facts do not.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
We can all pretend he ranks with the best as far as playoffs.
We can "pretend" or we can actually think for ourselves. You're thinking that W-L is mostly a reflection of passing performance, and you're absolutely right. But you're making the common mistake of forgetting that there are two passing performances in each game.

Playoffs only
Staubach's defenses 214 of 456 3006 yd 15 td 39 int 44.0
Aikman's defenses: 357 of 631 4060 yd 24 td 24 int 72.9
Romo's defenses: 117 of 194 1582 yd 14 td 4 int 101.8

Comparison within era
Staubach's defenses: -21.2
Aikman's defenses: -4.3
Romo's defenses: +17.7

It's easier to just look at one half of the picture, and "pretend" your QB's performance matters, and the opposing team's QB's performance doesn't. You end up with fans of the two teams seeing two completely different pictures, neither of which is accurate. Are we going to pretend one QB in the game matters and the other one doesn't, just because it's easier than actually looking at both performances and comparing?

Vinnie2u

Reaction score
I lump Romo in with Witten, Ware, Newman, Barber, James ect. The core of this team for a while.. They didn't win a thing. Not Romo's fault, but he's the QB so wrong or right he gets the blame..

CCBoy

Reaction score
At the heart of this is the fact that there are only two elements that come into play -- a player's performance, and your perception of it. All you need to do in order to form an opinion is to look at the performance. You don't need validation from a third party. If you're thinking, "maybe that guy understands the criteria better than I do," that means you need to compare your criteria with his and find out.

What are the criteria for determining the value of an individual player? For quarterbacks, that's passing performance. Ok, so who are the best passers? In 2014, they were Romo, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Manning, and Brady, in that order. How consistently has the player performed at that level? Have there been extreme ups and downs that would indicate that the player seems to perform well on good teams, but poorly on teams that aren't as good? Three of those players have been among the Top 10 passers every season they've played: Manning, Rodgers, and Romo.

What is the criteria that denotes ability in the NFL, is crisis management and achievements.

That puts Tony Romo right into a similar picture with both Rogers and Brady.

The funny part of that comparison group, is that neither Tony, Rogers, or Tom came from a glamorous career at the collegiate levels.

Tony came from a small school, but with creative abilities, under pressure. Now, we can say the same things for Rogers, who didn't set standards for CAL. Or Brady, who had trouble trying to start for Michigan.

As to the Seattle 'effect,' with a great defense...after their current quarterback is paid top dollar now, their cap situation will start to pull apart their current defensive strength over the next six seasons.

Manning only had a good defense twice.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
We can "pretend" or we can actually think for ourselves. You're thinking that W-L is mostly a reflection of passing performance, and you're absolutely right. But you're making the common mistake of forgetting that there are two passing performances in each game.

Playoffs only
Staubach's defenses 214 of 456 3006 yd 15 td 39 int 44.0
Aikman's defenses: 357 of 631 4060 yd 24 td 24 int 72.9
Romo's defenses: 117 of 194 1582 yd 14 td 4 int 101.8

Comparison within era
Staubach's defenses: -21.2
Aikman's defenses: -4.3
Romo's defenses: +17.7

It's easier to just look at one half of the picture, and "pretend" your QB's performance matters, and the opposing team's QB's performance doesn't. You end up with fans of the two teams seeing two completely different pictures, neither of which is accurate. Are we going to pretend one QB in the game matters and the other one doesn't, just because it's easier than actually looking at both performances and comparing?

Well let me say this: I shudder to think that Aikman and Staubach and even Danny White would be as good as Romo.
And to think that I once thought them QBs were better than Romo . . .

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Last year was enjoyable and stolen

The next few years you will enjoy

Keep on the sunny side of life!

Yes, it was stolen. Jerra and his franchise stole my heart and last year broke mein heart.
I would be more osomistic if McFadden was still here and our defense was more, um, viable or seemingly so. As to McFadden I realize that is spilt milk under the burning bridge, but still . . . spring signals hopes and hope sometime open the door to possibilities and possibilities sometimes bring good things. thanks for the reminder to keep mein manly chin up and my frown turned upside down into a smile!
th