Can we afford Dak?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Agree but do you think they're going to do that if they don't sign him and do something else at QB? Why haven't they done that already? He was the best deal QB the Cowboys have ever had and they failed to cash in when they could have.

If the FO doesn't know how to build a team, what difference does it make what they pay the QB?

I just can’t accept it.

Just saying well what can you do and move on to sign him and be mediocre?

I just can’t. That’s some status quo country club mentality that I can’t accept.

Shoot for the moon or fall on your face trying.. That’s what NFL teams should be doing.

If you’re just happy being the most valuable franchise in pro sports then go ahead and continue down the path of mediocrity but Dallas needs to get back in the business of setting trends and get out of the business of following the “smart decisions” these fools have collectively done with QB contracts.

They did the Zeke deal.. Foolish.. Had to do it though thanks to the stupid Rams.

Lawrence? Horrible value..

Jaylon? Terrible.. I like that they gambled by doing the deal early but my gosh is that deal horrible.

Amari Cooper? Great player but 20 million a year? Yuck.

Letting Byron Jones walk? Yuck.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
but how are those loses on Dak?
1-2 in the play-offs.
beat seattle at home...strong game from Dak and a solid showing by our defense if my memory is correct.

lost at home v green bay....still think we shoulda won that game.
we get blown off the field in the 1st half.
Dak played great in the 2nd....we come all the way back to tie and then rodgers happens.
defense couldn't stop him.

the loss to the rams....they stomped a mud hole in our *** and walked it dry with that run game.
but Dak played solid and kept us in it.
don't believe he had a turn over.

so how is any of that on him.
i'd say considering....its pretty damn good.

I don’t blame Dak for anything.. Football is a team sport.

The dont sign Dak crowd and the sign Dak crowd all agree on this 1 thing..

The difference is the sign Dak crowd believes in football utopia and that we can sign Dak and still build the juggernaut team he requires.. That is just laughable. Especially believing that the Jones’s will do it.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Money hasn't been what is holding this team back. The ability to find enough quality players is. Dak can sign for vet minimum and we'll still have the problem of finding enough quality players.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Fans always get caught up with salaries and the cap this time of season. Can we afford Dak? Sure, it just comes down to how they structure the contract. No ones knows what the cap will be next year, some say at $175 million, other say it will be flat meaning the same as this year ($198 million) yet no one knows yet.

I will say this about the cap, just look at the number of teams that are over the cap for 2021. There are currently 14 teams over the cap if the cap remains flat, anywhere from $2 million over to the Saints $104 million over. (Dallas currently sits at $17 million under before the carry over amount of $26 million goes on so approxmately $43 million under - number will change). You have 8 teams that are over $20 million (or right at) over the cap at $198 million. I will guarantee that somehow, someway every team will be at least under the cap before the draft in order to draft and sign those draft picks. What will the NFL do to help some teams, we won't know but they will. We can expect to see good players cut, players retire, players traded, and other things. It happens every year.

Now for Dak, the least thing we need is another Dak thread. Some love him, some hate him but the fact remains that he will probably be the Cowboy QB for the next 3 + years. How that plays out is something none of us know or will know until it happens. My hope regardless is that Dallas gets back to the Super Bowl and win it. Time will tell.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Money hasn't been what is holding this team back. The ability to find enough quality players is. Dak can sign for vet minimum and we'll still have the problem of finding enough quality players.

Jason Garrett was far and away our biggest problem.

That guy can make bad teams look average but the problem is he can make great teams look average.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Given that the salary cap will drop to $175 Million, it will be interesting to see if the cowboys can afford to pay Dak his $37 million Franchise Tag. If he doesn't sign a deal that allows the team to lessen the cost for this year, the team would be hard pressed to not have to release some players just to say under the $175 Million cap.

Yes but the FO has yet to decide if Dakky poo is worth all that cash?
We will have our answer within the next 6-8 weeks.
Stay tuned fireworks just might be on their way in our lovely forums.....

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yes we can afford but the cost is being mediocre for at least 3 seasons.

The one thing I will say though is our division is trash and as long as Washington doesn’t have a QB and we stay healthy we could win the division and possibly get a wildcard W.

The goal is to win Superbowls and I think signing him is a dead end path because as we all agree this team needs a lot of pieces.

Dak can’t play defense, block, or catch passes and he without a doubt needs all those things to carry him.
It's not impossible, although I doubt there's any convincing you.

They will need to draft extremely well....and actually do so, not just a narrative...

They will need breaks and great coaching.

Pretty far from ideal but look at what we are dealing with.....two unqualified morons trying to pull off what no other sports franchise ever has, and are too stubborn to admit to their own futility.

I think the least likely of it all is getting great coaching to overcome deficiencies. That's been a problem for a long time in Dallas and I wouldn't say its solved now. The guy who selects them isn't any good at doing so, nor will he hire anyone that may take the spotlight from him....or not be on board with him talking about the team on radio constantly.

Point being I don't think Daks play or salary are among the top problems on this team.

Either way, Jerry is a LONG long way from throwing his hands in the air and starting over.....nor do I wish for him to spearhead any massive rebuild.

So....here we are.

I don't argue your position much because I do see what you mean to a degree....and results wise, you'll probably be right in the end.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don’t get it. I’ve seen years where we as a board moved money around before free agency to fit our guy or guys and now with dak we forget all the money moving lessons we learned.

I think the difference is that we are talking about moving a much greater percentage of the total cap around and working with fewer years. The reason you can move money is because you can spread it over multiple years. Remember, this NFL and this fan base have never seen a cap that actually shrinks rather then continuously grow, year to year. That is not the case here. The Cape will be shrinking over the next few years. Dak and his representation won't work with more years so that the numbers can be more manageable. The overall contract demands are bigger by a significant margine, with regards to cap percentage, then we've ever seen before.

All of these things make it very difficult to manage IMO. We really haven't seen this type of situation before.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Is Lawrence a 21M DL? Elliott a 15M RB? Cooper a 20M WR? Smith a 11M LB?

Any team that is going to hand out top 5 contracts to any players is going to have to have some players overperforming on their contracts. Do the Cowboys have that? Maybe Gallup and Lamb.

This isn't about Prescott or even paying the QB, it is about how this franchise distributes the cap money and the evaluation of player value. It is the sum of the parts that creates this whole mess.

I don't disagree with this take, in terms of how the team manages contracts but at the same time, both can be right. This team can be poor at managing player contracts and Prescott and his representation. In fact, I believe that it is exactly that. Dak and his representation know what these contract demands mean for them for future years. They know that it will cost the team the ability to sign other players going forward or keep key players down the road.

I watch what's going on in GB and I see Rodgers and his representation doing certain things, all based on the idea that GB has not done enough to make Rodgers and the team successful. But what's all too often forgotten is that the reason the team is limited, to a great extent, is because of what they have paid Rodgers over the last several years. That has limited them, to an extent. It's not as simple as we may think, IMO.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yes, and Dak is a fine QB. I heard Jimmy in an interview just a few moments ago in which he said EXACTLY what I've been saying. He said that this is a deal that should've been reached 3 years ago! He stated that while Dak is not Mahomes (and nobody is arguing he's on Mahomes's level), Dak is a fine QB that you can win with, and that you have to do what you can to keep your franchise QB. He stated that franchise QBs are hard to come by. So, not only have I said this, but now Jimmy has said it better than I could have stated. So yes, we can afford Dak, and we SHOULD pay Dak.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Sure. But it depends on your definition of "afford". Could pay him $175 million a year, the cap is apparently going to be at least $175 million, so you have the money.

Of course you could, but won't. Have to have other players. Extreme example.

But there was an article in today's local newspaper about just that, in regards to the Saints (home state team). The main point of the article was that there's always been teams way "over the cap", but does the team shut down, or cut half their players, etc.?

No, there are numerous ways to get under the cap - restructures, cut a couple of aging high priced players, etc.

There's a way to pay Dak even the $37.1 million tag fee and field a team, I don't know exactly how to do it, and not to say it wouldn't hurt the team, but as a simple answer to the post heading, yes....

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
Can the Cowboys afford not to sign Dak? It's his team and it does not work without him. Of course, the Dak haters will disagree so don't even bother with your opinion. It's a lame point of view.

Dude, quit acting like we’re any good even with Dak. It doesn’t work without him? It doesn’t work with him either. I’m not against bringing Dak back, but his production is replaceable.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Agree but do you think they're going to do that if they don't sign him and do something else at QB? Why haven't they done that already? He was the best deal QB the Cowboys have ever had and they failed to cash in when they could have.

If the FO doesn't know how to build a team, what difference does it make what they pay the QB?
This has been my contention on all of this.
It doesn't matter.
This FO doesn't know how to build a winner no matter if they have a cheap, or expensive QB.

What they need is an inordinate amount of luck to counter their collective ineptitude.