Can we afford Dak?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It's not impossible, although I doubt there's any convincing you.

They will need to draft extremely well....and actually do so, not just a narrative...

They will need breaks and great coaching.

Pretty far from ideal but look at what we are dealing with.....two unqualified morons trying to pull off what no other sports franchise ever has, and are too stubborn to admit to their own futility.

I think the least likely of it all is getting great coaching to overcome deficiencies. That's been a problem for a long time in Dallas and I wouldn't say its solved now. The guy who selects them isn't any good at doing so, nor will he hire anyone that may take the spotlight from him....or not be on board with him talking about the team on radio constantly.

Point being I don't think Daks play or salary are among the top problems on this team.

Either way, Jerry is a LONG long way from throwing his hands in the air and starting over.....nor do I wish for him to spearhead any massive rebuild.

So....here we are.

I don't argue your position much because I do see what you mean to a degree....and results wise, you'll probably be right in the end.

Giants are a nice outlier for us to model..

The problem is there is a long list points to the contrary including a bunch of current teams that are wondering why in the heck they just gave their QBs that deal.

Last edited:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Actually, agree but what about leadership?????? Not an easy as we think...

Exactly, the leadership aspect is an intangible that is very difficult to come by and is what makes a QB a franchise QB. Jimmy said as much today along with the point that, while Dak is no Mahomes (and nobody is arguing that he is), he is a QB you can win with. Replacing a franchise QB is hard to do, as Jimmy would know.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Given that the salary cap will drop to $175 Million, it will be interesting to see if the cowboys can afford to pay Dak his $37 million Franchise Tag. If he doesn't sign a deal that allows the team to lessen the cost for this year, the team would be hard pressed to not have to release some players just to say under the $175 Million cap.

Unlike other years where a team was only allowed carryover 5% of there cap to the next year, for this year only teams can carryover unlimited amount to next years cap because of the reduced cap for next year. The Cowboys will have about 25 mil in carryover to add to next years cap. This will take a huge chunk out of whatever the amount Prescott's cap hit will be on next years cap.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but how are those loses on Dak?
1-2 in the play-offs.
beat seattle at home...strong game from Dak and a solid showing by our defense if my memory is correct.

lost at home v green bay....still think we shoulda won that game.
we get blown off the field in the 1st half.
Dak played great in the 2nd....we come all the way back to tie and then rodgers happens.
defense couldn't stop him.

the loss to the rams....they stomped a mud hole in our *** and walked it dry with that run game.
but Dak played solid and kept us in it.
don't believe he had a turn over.

so how is any of that on him.
i'd say considering....its pretty damn good.

This may have been answered already. Not sure he's "putting it all on him".

How do we fix the rest of it if we pay Dak? We pay Dak and we'll be in the same boat we been in.

We won't strike Super Bowl Gold in the draft. We'll need to lure in and pay some top FA to make any headway.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don’t get it. I’ve seen years where we as a board moved money around before free agency to fit our guy or guys and now with dak we forget all the money moving lessons we learned.

Those money moving is restructuring contracts and that's what the Cowboys did starting the first year there was a cap that kept them in cap he11 for 20 years. When Stephen took over contracts he stopped doing that to a large degree and has only done it just a couple of times since. You want more proof, just look at where the saints are this year from restructuring contracts in past years.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Exactly, the leadership aspect is an intangible that is very difficult to come by and is what makes a QB a franchise QB. Jimmy said as much today along with the point that, while Dak is no Mahomes (and nobody is arguing that he is), he is a QB you can win with. Replacing a franchise QB is hard to do, as Jimmy would know.

All that leadership has us 1 wildcard victory in 5 years.

Maybe get more affordable leadership so we can get more of what’s matters.. Good players..

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Unlike other years where a team was only allowed carryover 5% of there cap to the next year, for this year only teams can carryover unlimited amount to next years cap because of the reduced cap for next year. The Cowboys will have about 25 mil in carryover to add to next years cap. This will take a huge chunk out of whatever the amount Prescott's cap hit will be on next years cap.

Not only that, but with the TV deals expiring at the end of this season, there should be a significant boost to the salary cap next season with new TV deals coming in. Also, if the COVID vaccine proves successful, I think it is possible that we may see more fans being able to attend games. So, the cap should increase from that as well. Also, if the NFL is smart, they'll use methods such as VR Chat to allow users to attend a game virtually and have their avatars shown on TV. That sort of deal would help increase the cap as well while also giving the league more money (which we all know they want) and a fun way to attend a game without actually having to book a flight, a hotel, and gas on top of a game ticket. If they can work a deal out with VR Chat, they can say, if you want to attend a game, you have to pay x dollars that we'd charge in this spot at the game (cuz if they charge less, nobody would attend a game lol). I think fans might go for that. I would! And I having a chat option could allow fans the ability to trash talk each other that way. Plus, you can actually talk with each other verbally on VR Chat.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Maybe having a better defence would help. Definitely has helped many QBs.

Probably would..

Considering the league is anti defense though and we have to do a complete rebuild almost I think the best you’ll get is something close to 2019 and we know what that will look like.

Heck.. We have several games in 2019 where the defense was incredible and the offense just didn’t step up.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
Yes his leadership is not as replaceable, but paying 40 million per year for good leadership and average production is stupid.
If you’re going to put average production as part of your argument, be prepared to back it up. Give use who you base your average baseline QB is and then give us Daks stats compared to that QB. We’ll wait.

Winonesoon

Reaction score
yes, can we afford toys for him to play with?. NO. Restructuring the future is a tricky business. At some point the bill comes due.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I want Dak to be resigned but i question our teams talent level to be competitive with Dak taking up a huge part of the cap.

cowboyec

Reaction score
This may have been answered already. Not sure he's "putting it all on him".

How do we fix the rest of it if we pay Dak? We pay Dak and we'll be in the same boat we been in.

We won't strike Super Bowl Gold in the draft. We'll need to lure in and pay some top FA to make any headway.
i think you fix it through the draft.
and it really doesn't change if we pay Dak...trade for stafford....or trade for goff.
you build thru the draft.
i don't think you can team build thru f/a.
i just don't see how paying Dak means we can't continue to make the team better thru the draft.
you can.
it just means we can't have alot of misses or dumb picks...which i don't think has been a problem in recent history.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Is there any proof it works with him?

We have 1 wildcard win in 5 seasons.

Imo, he’s not a difference maker.

If you move a truly elite QB to another team I think you get better results over a 5 year period then that.

Paying for an elite player and not having an elite player is a good way to be mediocre.

You're just another Prescott hater that wants to blame only him for the Cowboys not getting further. No acknowledgement of any bad defenses or having as his #1 receiver the receiver that led the league in drops, or a RB who's production keeps dropping every year since his rookie year, or like having their starting LT out and his replacements give up EIGHT sacks in one game. Last time ANYONE checked this is still a team game and EVERY player has to do his job on EVERY play or negative things can happen.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
If you’re going to put average production as part of your argument, be prepared to back it up. Give use who you base your average baseline QB is and then give us Daks stats compared to that QB. We’ll wait.

Stafford....the guy no one wants

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The hard fact the NFL knows is that at 175M, there are players that will go unsigned because the money's gone. At 195M, there are still some teams with some trimming to do but at 175M, that's radical surgery and not only does that hurt that team but the competitive level of the league.

This is a special and unique circumstance that the NFL and NFLPA will have to address and come to agreement on for the good of the game.
I agree. I think NFL is going to do something about the cap issue in 2021. its an unnatural special situation and like you said, it doesn't benefit the league.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Probably would..

Considering the league is anti defense though and we have to do a complete rebuild almost I think the best you’ll get is something close to 2019 and we know what that will look like.

Heck.. We have several games in 2019 where the defense was incredible and the offense just didn’t step up.

I agree that the offense didn't play great in 2019, however, in most of the games where the defence did show up, we usually won. I think Dak can win us a lot of games for us if the defence can improve to at least average overall. I'm just asking for the defence to hold teams to 20 points per game overall. Especially with the firepower we have now (assuming Zeke stops fumbling), I think we would rip teams apart. I don't think that's asking too much, and I think we'll have a very successful season if we can do that on defence.