Can we get a poll? Tank or Try?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would most certainly shut down Romo. Call that tanking if you will.

I'm sure they probably will once the team is officially eliminated. Can't take the risk of having Romo injured again a serious injury could affect his 2016 season. They need to give Kellen Moore some playing time to see if he has a future and is worth bringing back next season. Playing him against scrubs in preseason isn't going to tell you much so once we're eliminated throw him in and see what he has.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You keep trying. you want to build a winning chemistry going into next year.
Having the 6th pick or the 16th pick. doesn't make a difference at this point.
If there is a player they really want, trade up. Don't tank to get that player. because no one knows what players will be there yet in the top 15.

Now once mathematically eliminated. Then play some players you want to see what they can do. Try some plays and schemes you normally would not do.
Get Swaim more playing time, activate Chaz Green, put him in at RT. Play Wilson some at LB. Play Byron Jones at the position you think or want him to end up at permanently.

Heck even activate Showers, play him the last game of the season, see what he has for real. Put Michael and Smith in more at RB.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This, his injury really should have 10 weeks, not 8, to fully heal. Of course if he re injures it should be fine by next Spring. Of course everyone else should still play, they got themselves into this mess so they should finish it.

Doctors, expert Doctors said 8 weeks, that is the typical complete healing for this type of injury.
6 weeks is ok, but chances of a re-fracture more likely, but not after 8 weeks. If it happened, it would be like if it was an entire new injury.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
So you'd go against Romo's wishes and sit him? Why stop there? Why not cut Hardy. Sit Dez. Why would you rush Dez back just to sit Romo?

It wouldn't be smart to play Romo once the team is eliminated. You play him while we still have a shot regardless how slim it is but shut him down once we're officially eliminated. The Cowboys did that in 2010 not wanting to risk another injury that could effect his 2011 season. He means too much to the team to risk playing him in games that are meaningless. It would be a travesty if he were to suffer a serious injury after the team has already been eliminated from the playoffs.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It wouldn't be smart to play Romo once the team is eliminated. You play him while we still have a shot regardless how slim it is but shut him down once we're officially eliminated. The Cowboys did that in 2010 not wanting to risk another injury that could effect his 2011 season. He means too much to the team to risk playing him in games that are meaningless. It would be a travesty if he were to suffer a serious injury after the team has already been eliminated from the playoffs.

What shot do we have now? It makes no sense. You don't play Dez if you feel like you are going to sit Romo. What they should do and what they will do is two different things. They aren't sitting Romo. They made that clear when they played Dez. And who knows...they may very well lose with Romo.

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Lets aim for mediocrity we been there 20 plus years, whats one more?

RS12

Reaction score
either way a five or six win team and top 12 draft pick

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
With these incentive based contracts, there is no "shutting this thing down". It's fools fantasy to think it is possible.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo and Dez will not sit these next 8 games. Once we are eliminated, I don't see it either unless the last game or 2 of the season. Then Dez may be limited in snaps, and Romo may sit the last game of the year. Especially since Commanders seem to always knock him out of the game.

RunDMC

Reaction score
I would put Romo on IR today. This season is over. Call it tanking or whatever, but there's no need to risk the face of the franchise by putting him out there when it's all over. Get the best pick you can. If he doesn't play again were probably 2-14 or 3-13. Would be in contention for the number one pick. Definitely a chance to get a guy like Fournette or Goff. No brainer.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
Teams that tank do not do well. Unless we had a shot at the next great QB their is no purpose in tanking.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
I don't think we really have to worry about tanking.........they should be just fine doing that with or without Romo. This is not a good team.

Anyways, you can't throw in the towel.....many are still playing for jobs, etc. I wouldn't even trust them to make the correct top 5 pick to begin with, probably end up with another corner or something.

Tanking also sends the wrong message, if some players hasn't quit yet.......it won't be much longer until they do.

This is pretty accurate. This team will suck with or without Romo. It's more of owner/coaching/culture issue than it is a player issue. These poor players are set up to fail. Nothing has changed the last 20 years. It's the definition of insanity. We have an owner problem and there isn't anything that can be done about that. The quicker the fans accept that, the easier it will be watching games and having your emotions in check.

RunDMC

Reaction score
You keep trying. you want to build a winning chemistry going into next year.
Having the 6th pick or the 16th pick. doesn't make a difference at this point.
If there is a player they really want, trade up. Don't tank to get that player. because no one knows what players will be there yet in the top 15.

Now once mathematically eliminated. Then play some players you want to see what they can do. Try some plays and schemes you normally would not do.
Get Swaim more playing time, activate Chaz Green, put him in at RT. Play Wilson some at LB. Play Byron Jones at the position you think or want him to end up at permanently.

Heck even activate Showers, play him the last game of the season, see what he has for real. Put Michael and Smith in more at RB.

Trade up? LOL how has to that worked out for us. We played with a winning chemistry or whatever you wanna call it in 2010 by going 5-3 and we won a measley eight games the next three seasons. Makes no sense. Just get the number one pick. Shut down Romo.

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Tanking with 8 games left and still within 2 games in the loss column is stupid. How do you sell your players on that? Do you really want to give the 40+ guys that will be back next season the idea that its ok to quit? That losing is ok? Tanking is something you consider with 2 games left, not 8.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
-Yea zero chance this team tanks. These are full grown, prideful professional athletes, many of whom are playing for their jobs to support their families. The last thing they care about is the team's draft position.

-From a fan's perspective, it would be 100x better to go 2-14 than 6-10 or 7-9. With the way the salary cap is structured in today's NFL, high draft picks are the most valuable asset a team can possess.

-But that's not how business works in the NFL. Coaches and players play to win the game, regardless of record, and that's exactly what the Cowboys are going to do. And once we get Romo back, we're probably going to do it quite well, and end up winning most of our remaining games.

-We'll likely finish with a (dreaded) 7-9 record or so, and pick somewhere in the middle of the rounds (15-20 range).

-Besides, with how bad this division is, you never know what could happen. Still a lot of football left to be played.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doctors, expert Doctors said 8 weeks, that is the typical complete healing for this type of injury.
6 weeks is ok, but chances of a re-fracture more likely, but not after 8 weeks. If it happened, it would be like if it was an entire new injury.

I'm no doctor, but I did read 3-6 weeks for children and 6 to 16 weeks for adults (see below). The interesting part says that the more you move it, the slower it heals. So his working out and throwing now to get ready for Miami can actually make the healing go slower.

My GF and I were T-boned on July 3rd by an SUV making an illegal U-turn from the side of the road on my Heritage Classic. She broke 9 bones/ribs, etc. Including her tibia and clavicle. Her leg is at about 90% now, ribs are better but her clavicle still hasn't fully healed. I bust her chops all of the time saying Tony will be back before you! She says no way will he be back and healed by November 22nd. I guess the point is, if we are 2-7 then, why should he risk it. If he really wants to play this year he could still wait a few weeks. His call I guess.

The time for a broken collarbone to fully heal depends on the severity of the injury. In children, complete healing may take as little as three to six weeks. In adults, six to 16 weeks or more are often necessary for a collarbone to heal solidly.

Unfortunately, during that time there is no way to completely immobilize a collarbone fracture to keep it from moving and, thus, speed healing, as can be done using a cast on other broken bones, such as a wrist, arm or leg. Because of the broken collarbone's location in your body, a cast is not an option. However, a shoulder sling can help keep a collarbone fracture in place, reduce pain and allow for healing. The broken bone will move a bit whenever you move your shoulder, and that can often be painful during the healing process. A significant amount of shoulder movement may slow healing.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trade up? LOL how has to that worked out for us. We played with a winning chemistry or whatever you wanna call it in 2010 by going 5-3 and we won a measley eight games the next three seasons. Makes no sense. Just get the number one pick. Shut down Romo.

That was not what I said or meant. I said trade up IF there is a player there they think can make a difference, like a QB. Do not trade up for any other player.
But don't tank just to get a high pick.
The only draft pick I want that high is a QB. Even if he sits for a few years.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm no doctor, but I did read 3-6 weeks for children and 6 to 16 weeks for adults (see below). The interesting part says that the more you move it, the slower it heals. So his working out and throwing now to get ready for Miami can actually make the healing go slower.

My GF and I were T-boned on July 3rd by an SUV making an illegal U-turn from the side of the road on my Heritage Classic. She broke 9 bones/ribs, etc. Including her tibia and clavicle. Her leg is at about 90% now, ribs are better but her clavicle still hasn't fully healed. I bust her chops all of the time saying Tony will be back before you! She says no way will he be back and healed by November 22nd. I guess the point is, if we are 2-7 then, why should he risk it. If he really wants to play this year he could still wait a few weeks. His call I guess.

The time for a broken collarbone to fully heal depends on the severity of the injury. In children, complete healing may take as little as three to six weeks. In adults, six to 16 weeks or more are often necessary for a collarbone to heal solidly.

Unfortunately, during that time there is no way to completely immobilize a collarbone fracture to keep it from moving and, thus, speed healing, as can be done using a cast on other broken bones, such as a wrist, arm or leg. Because of the broken collarbone's location in your body, a cast is not an option. However, a shoulder sling can help keep a collarbone fracture in place, reduce pain and allow for healing. The broken bone will move a bit whenever you move your shoulder, and that can often be painful during the healing process. A significant amount of shoulder movement may slow healing.

I was just going by what local Doctor here in DFW area, that had first hand knowledge from Romo's broken clavicle from the previous time.
this Doctor's specialty is in that area.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I was just going by what local Doctor here in DFW area, that had first hand knowledge from Romo's broken clavicle from the previous time.
this Doctor's specialty is in that area.

Well I would guess he would know more than I...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.