Can we really afford to pay Dak 50 million and Micah a huge deal?

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He almost certainly will get that or close to it. That's the going rate for a good QB. Regardless of what fans do or don't think of Dak, the Jones family thinks he's SB capable.
They can think that we don't have to

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Jerry has already moved on only a matter of time now as Dak will help in the process by laying those eggs esp against teams with real defenses this coming season.
Fins, Bills, Eagles, Jets, Niners, just to name a few when deer in the headlights will be in the house once again!
If you think about it, this season is the perfect storm as a matter of speaking. Dak is coming off a season that saw Dallas tied with Washington for the easiest strength of schedule yet Dak had a career high in INT's in spite of missing 5 games and had another bad game against SF in the playoffs leading Dallas to an earlier exit than hoped. In addition, Dak is in his last contractual season before a decision on an extension is needed all while Dallas is facing the 4th or 5th toughest strength of schedule and Stephen Jones saying this is the most talented team Dallas has had in years.....and then JJ puts the cherry on top by trading for Trey Lance.
Regardless of many saying Lance is just a #3 QB and poses no pressure to Dak, I would think that the above-listed items would actually say this is the highest level of pressure Dak has faced heading into a season and his future in Dallas may very well be on the line.

Time will tell starting in 1-1/2 weeks if Dak takes the next step towards being a Top 5 NFL QB and elevating Dallas to an NFCCG or if the weight of the season simply is too much.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I really wish Dak would pull a Tom Brady and take less to help the team keep building a winner around him. Being greedy is going to get him off the Cowboys eventually. Hope he understands that and makes a wise decision if he truly wants to remain a Cowboy. $30 - $40 / year is plenty of money.
dak and all the star cowboy players are playing for
1. The Money - main priority
2.The Glory - satisfies their egos and is fun
3.Win a SB - win a SB - This is a distant 3rd lol. Pay them the big money and they will try, but not too hard.
They want to win one but dont want to work too hard to do it.

Lets face it, if your a nfl player, and you make 400 mil in your career but dont win a SB, it aint all that bad lol.
So they are all going to want the maximum they can get.

Brady was satisfied with the money he had, and he liked winning and winning SB's more than making max $.
This is rare among nfl players.
Even rogers was demanding max $ , not caring about helping the team in GB, not sure about with the jets.

Plus if I was a player, I would only take less, if I got to say what was done with that extra $, other wise the owner or GM could squander it.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Please someone tell me how we will make this happen and be able to do other things with this team in terms of signing other players
Next year we're going to have one guy who wants to be the highest paid offensive player in the NFL and one guy who wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL that **** just ain't going to happen it's going to have to be one or the other and don't forget we still have to pay CD lamb

StarLord

Reaction score
Why does Dak seem to fail up?

Breaks his ankle.. loses mobility as we knew would happen, gets a huge contract. Leads league in interceptions, active a reason we lose in the playoffs.. looks to get a new bigger contract.

glimmerman

Reaction score
There is always ways to play with the numbers of contracts but the bigger question regarding the contracts, especially after this season, will be does JJ cave and give Dak an extension or look to move on?
Yep and the cap is about to go way up. Players know this and none are going to take a hometown discount. We need Lamb and Parsons and Dak deals done. We will get Daks deal done and have a few years before he counts for big money. They will all 3 get a nice signing bonus. Parsons deal maybe bigger than Daks. Lol. Will it be worth it. I want to see how we use him this year. Hope we move him around he was spent by the time playoffs came around. And dealing with knee issues from playing edge rusher all year.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Ridiculous. If you said this 4 years ago in 2019 when Dak started throwing for 4,902 yards and 30 TDs, another 4,500 yards season and franchise record 37 TDs in 2021, then you are out of your mind trolling if you believe Dak had not earned his $40 mil / year contract.
This happened with Romo also. Those who didn’t like him didn’t think he earned his money. I think Dak earned his pay. He played for how many years for peanuts. JJ loved having him play at a high level for league minimum. He won’t have 15 picks this year with the weapons he has. And I also think his ankle is finally healed up. He was. Moving around better last year. It scared him when he reinjured it against the pats his first year back. And I think he was injured worse than they let on.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This happened with Romo also. Those who didn’t like him didn’t think he earned his money. I think Dak earned his pay. He played for how many years for peanuts. JJ loved having him play at a high level for league minimum. He won’t have 15 picks this year with the weapons he has. And I also think his ankle is finally healed up. He was. Moving around better last year. It scared him when he reinjured it against the pats his first year back. And I think he was injured worse than they let on.
Totally agree, Glim. :thumbup:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you think about it, this season is the perfect storm as a matter of speaking. Dak is coming off a season that saw Dallas tied with Washington for the easiest strength of schedule yet Dak had a career high in INT's in spite of missing 5 games and had another bad game against SF in the playoffs leading Dallas to an earlier exit than hoped. In addition, Dak is in his last contractual season before a decision on an extension is needed all while Dallas is facing the 4th or 5th toughest strength of schedule and Stephen Jones saying this is the most talented team Dallas has had in years.....and then JJ puts the cherry on top by trading for Trey Lance.
Regardless of many saying Lance is just a #3 QB and poses no pressure to Dak, I would think that the above-listed items would actually say this is the highest level of pressure Dak has faced heading into a season and his future in Dallas may very well be on the line.

Time will tell starting in 1-1/2 weeks if Dak takes the next step towards being a Top 5 NFL QB and elevating Dallas to an NFCCG or if the weight of the season simply is too much.
How and why did Dak get that most underserving and overpriced contract?
We were 1-4 and most of his stats were once again garbage time as the losses piled up.
He broke his ankle which worked in his favor (Pity Factor good guy and all) at the perfect time as the season wasn't looking promising.
POLITICS and a massive PR campaign by Prescott Inc.
Heck even Jerry stated .................I OVERPAID at the press conference.
None of the above are in play now as in any Ponzi scheme (which the Dak story resembles) you need more coming in than going out.
Game over for Dak Incorporated!!!!!!

Flamma

Reaction score
Please someone tell me how we will make this happen and be able to do other things with this team in terms of signing other players
Short answer, yes. I'll ask a question. If you move on from Dak after this season, what's the point of paying Parsons? I don't think Dak is that hard to replace, but you have to replace him with someone. It doesn't matter how good our team is without a QB. And no, as of right now Trey Lance is garbage.

CCBoy

Reaction score
There is always ways to play with the numbers of contracts but the bigger question regarding the contracts, especially after this season, will be does JJ cave and give Dak an extension or look to move on?
He has plenty of time to see directions...no problem if it is needed with revenue escalations over the next 7 years.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Short answer, yes. I'll ask a question. If you move on from Dak after this season, what's the point of paying Parsons? I don't think Dak is that hard to replace, but you have to replace him with someone. It doesn't matter how good our team is without a QB. And no, as of right now Trey Lance is garbage.
Very good points, but that shouldn't be the reason to lock us down to him is the fact of who you replace him with! It happens every season, we will be fine

Flamma

Reaction score
Very good points, but that shouldn't be the reason to lock us down to him is the fact of who you replace him with! It happens every season, we will be fine
I am not against moving on from Dak. I don't think he's worth the money he commands. He's not that good. But the Cowboys need a plan to get someone at least equal to his talent level on a rookie contract. I don't think it would be that hard to do. But you have to actually have a plan to do it.

John813

Reaction score
Why does Dak seem to fail up?

Breaks his ankle.. loses mobility as we knew would happen, gets a huge contract. Leads league in interceptions, active a reason we lose in the playoffs.. looks to get a new bigger contract.

The NFL collectively has lost their minds on QB's and contracts.

Kyler Murray got a boatload and signed a deal regarding study time. Studying...as a NFL QB, the team needed to add that. Since then, the team is pretty much tanking for the next QB.
They overpaid a small QB, who gets injured, a big contract. Why? cause he has talent and is considered a starter.

The talent disparity at QB has reached an all time high with most teams wanting to abandon the 90's way of bellcows and running first.
With 11 Formations being the standard formation, and high passing volumes it's quite easy to see which QB's are good enough and which ones aren't.
The good enough get paid just as much as the elite guys as there's a fear of missing out and getting stuck in the not good enough to even start purgatory.
I think Dak is good, and better than just good enough. And that's all it takes for a QB to reset the market.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
I really wish Dak would pull a Tom Brady and take less to help the team keep building a winner around him. Being greedy is going to get him off the Cowboys eventually. Hope he understands that and makes a wise decision if he truly wants to remain a Cowboy. $30 - $40 / year is plenty of money.
Oscar Wilde: "A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing." Dak is probably the least cynical dude in football - except when it came to his contract. He saw the value in the dollar and not the discount. Well, if you demand top dollar, your employer will demand top performance. Dak is feeling the other side of his cynical contract move. Yes, Jerry franchised you and made you play out your contract. Yes, lesser men were being paid while you had to wait. But once you get that top salary, this is not about your grievances, it's about the performance of your peer salary group. Good luck with that Dak.

I'm a Dak fan...I love him for replacing Romo and providing this team leadership. However, he might be the girl that gets you over the girl...doesn't mean you marry her.