Can we really afford to pay Dak 50 million and Micah a huge deal?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Oscar Wilde: "A cynic is someone who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing." Dak is probably the least cynical dude in football - except when it came to his contract. He saw the value in the dollar and not the discount. Well, if you demand top dollar, your employer will demand top performance. Dak is feeling the other side of his cynical contract move. Yes, Jerry franchised you and made you play out your contract. Yes, lesser men were being paid while you had to wait. But once you get that top salary, this is not about your grievances, it's about the performance of your peer salary group. Good luck with that Dak.

I'm a Dak fan...I love him for replacing Romo and providing this team leadership. However, he might be the girl that gets you over the girl...doesn't mean you marry her.
Woa...did one try her out for practices first?:omg:

Sandyf

Reaction score
Please someone tell me how we will make this happen and be able to do other things with this team in terms of signing other players
It will all be in how they structure the contracts, always is. Never about how much the total contract is for but the amount of bonus up front money and guarantees. Most never see all of original contract.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Please someone tell me how we will make this happen and be able to do other things with this team in terms of signing other players
The Cowboys don't sign many external players anyway. They'll let average starters leave, pay their best players, and restructure contracts when they need to free space. The Cowboys will then replace the average players in the draft.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Don't have a daughter, but they all practice before joining the team. Your stretching the analogy out. Careful.
No, you misunderstood the first reply...I was raised with morales, ethics, and a conscience. Our Honor Code at the Air Force Academy was I will not lie, steal, cheat nor tolerate those that do...you telling ME to be careful? There is NO right way to do the wrong thing...now, come again!

At work, I've used cuffs and leg irons...you needing a phone number and home address.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
No, you misunderstood the first reply...I was raised with morales, ethics, and a conscience. Our Honor Code at the Air Force Academy was I will not lie, steal, cheat nor tolerate those that do...you telling ME to be careful? There is NO right way to do the wrong thing...now, come again!

At work, I've used cuffs and leg irons...you needing a phone number and home address.
I have no clue what you are blathering about. Make your claim in plain english. I gave an analogy about a person you date but they are only good enough to get you over someone else. Who pissed in your cornflakes? What hair trigger insecurity have I tripped on?

Wangchung83

Reaction score
I really wish Dak would pull a Tom Brady and take less to help the team keep building a winner around him. Being greedy is going to get him off the Cowboys eventually. Hope he understands that and makes a wise decision if he truly wants to remain a Cowboy. $30 - $40 / year is plenty of money.
Hell no don’t start talking with reason now, that’s what he should’ve done the last time. He bet on himself and still hasn’t proven he’s deserving of what he already has. If he lays another egg in the playoffs I’d rather the cowboys take a hit and move on regardless of the cost.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
We can and will. The cap is always rising. Dak will be amenable to a longer deal now that he will be going into a 3rd contract and that will allow a ton of flexibility.

The cap is not hard to figure out. You just need a spreadsheet and a basic understanding of accounting and math
Yes, we all remember those who screamed and cried when Dak got $40 million a year, how the Cowboys couldn't sign anybody else, no team ever paid a qb X% of the cap and won bid, etc. etc. etc.

Yet here we are, Dak's like the 8th highest paid qb in the league and we just won 12 games, signed Diggs and others.

The Chicken Littles here never cease to paint pictures of doom and gloom....

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He almost certainly will get that or close to it. That's the going rate for a good QB. Regardless of what fans do or don't think of Dak, the Jones family thinks he's SB capable.
That's what they say in public, but I don't think they really believe that as far as Dak being the main reason they might win a SB. More like "we think the team can be good enough for Dak to be a caretaker of the offense and Quinn's defense will win the SB"

But who knows the mind of Jerry Jones? We have hints but nobody but he or his family really know...

exciter

Reaction score
Lawrence and Tyron should be coming off the books within the next 2 seasons. Martin has one more year left on his contract and will be pushing 34 when/if his next contract comes up. I really wouldn’t be too keen on dropping another big contract on a 34 yo guard.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
how would it affect the cap if we can trade Dak...do we still have to eat the 59 million?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is always ways to play with the numbers of contracts but the bigger question regarding the contracts, especially after this season, will be does JJ cave and give Dak an extension or look to move on?
Lol goodbye Dak

CWR

Reaction score
No, which is why they will extend Dak to spread out the cap hit. Not what some of us want to hear, but it'll happen.

I have to wonder if they attempt to rid him of the "no trade" clause. You know Jerry is planning on either flipping Lance for more picks or making him the starter. Although, teams work around those clauses all the time. Obviously it's very dependent on Lance actually developing, but the contract may come up well before then.

CWR

Reaction score
how would it affect the cap if we can trade Dak...do we still have to eat the 59 million?

Pretty sure it accelerates the guaranteed money only, but imagine that's a big chunk of it still.