Can we really cheer for a high draft pick?

wileedog

Reaction score
It's not absurd at all. Winning organizations win. Losing organizations lose. It's tautological

Its a slogan. This isn't the good ol days with team continuity and such, there will be significant roster turnover by the time camp opens next year. It will be a largely different team than the one that takes the final snap in December.

And the point you are missing is they have ALREADY LOST. As I said, the moral victory meter between 4-12 and 6-10 is beyond marginal. The benefit of a higher draft pick and easier schedule next year far outweighs whatever small moral comfort the team takes in being slightly less of losers this year.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its a slogan. This isn't the good ol days with team continuity and such, there will be significant roster turnover by the time camp opens next year. It will be a largely different team than the one that takes the final snap in December.

And the point you are missing is they have ALREADY LOST. As I said, the moral victory meter between 4-12 and 6-10 is beyond marginal. The benefit of a higher draft pick and easier schedule next year far outweighs whatever small moral comfort the team takes in being slightly less of losers this year.

Which of course explains why we see so many perennially good teams drafting high so regularly.

waving monkey

Reaction score
to me its one of those years you regroup your thinking
be reasonable ; so go for the development during the rest of the games
and get the high draft picks

kevm3

Reaction score
Perenially great teams have the best coaches in the league, so they can maximize whatever talent they draft. Garrett simply isn't a Bellichick. Our offense is predicated on our players beating other players. If we want to win with that kind of offense, we have to get the best players available.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
The Browns have been doing this for years and it's led to nothing for them. Getting a high draft pick doesn't guarantee a better future. I just don't get it. We're all fans of the Dallas Cowboys, yet most people on this board will root for this team to lose and twice to our division rivals nonetheless. How can anyone here mentally and physically root for the freakin' Commanders to beat us?

If they had a QB they'd be good. They've had an elite O-line and a solid defense for years. But they wasted 1st rounders on Weeden and Manziel. Everyone in their right minds knew those were wasted picks the second they were made. Guys like Lynch and Goff could be something special. They also could be average or bad. But we all knew Weeden and Manziel would be bad from the start. You draft QBs like that and you rot on the bottom for decades.

rynochop

Reaction score
Gross. Give me all the wins the team can get. Draft well whatever your position and instill a winning culture. Teach the players you've got and get a head start on the process starting now.

This hoping for losses and trying to make it up with earlier picks turns my stomach. And pretending it leads to a better organization in the long run is a quitter's fantasy. It leads to the Browns.

Amen..the Lions and the Browns of the world have been drafting top 5 for years, what's it gotten them? I'm sure after every season when they.re drafting 3rd or whatever the fans are excited come draft day. Idk, I guess it's how fans rationalize losing

I really think there are people that enjoy the draft over, you know, football games. It's kind of bizarre

AzorAhai

Reaction score
Everyone laughed at the Knicks who won an extra game or two last year it cost them a top pick.

Well they ended up with Porzingis at 4 and he might be the steal of the draft.

Sometimes luck is better than good.

Yeah, but the NBA is a little different. The bust rate is enormous. Usually if the class is good in the NFL you'll have some elite prospects to choose from. I would much rather the Cowboys fall in love with a player and have the opportunity to take them, than to miss out on the guy because we won 4 games instead of 3. Like how Aaron Donald was probably going to be the pick if he was there. We did luck out and get Z. Martin like you said, but as good as Martin is, I would probably take Donald for this team. Its especially important to me because I want Goff, Ramsey or Bosa wearing a star. Those guys are the cream of this class. Winning 4 or 5 games probably assures they end up somewhere else and just the thought of that makes me sad.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Amen..the Lions and the Browns of the world have been drafting top 5 for years, what's it gotten them? I'm sure after every season when they.re drafting 3rd or whatever the fans are excited come draft day. Idk, I guess it's how fans rationalize losing

I really think there are people that enjoy the draft over, you know, football games. It's kind of bizarre

I guess we don't need our scouts or personal who oversee the draft. Might as well fire them, since they work for the Lions and Browns.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Yeah, but the NBA is a little different. The bust rate is enormous. Usually if the class is good in the NFL you'll have some elite prospects to choose from. I would much rather the Cowboys fall in love with a player and have the opportunity to take them, than to miss out on the guy because we won 4 games instead of 3. Like how Aaron Donald was probably going to be the pick if he was there. We did luck out and get Z. Martin like you said, but as good as Martin is, I would probably take Donald for this team. Its especially important to me because I want Goff, Ramsey or Bosa wearing a star. Those guys are the cream of this class. Winning 4 or 5 games probably assures they end up somewhere else and just the thought of that makes me sad.

The QB talent pool is not especially strong this year so you need to temper and adjust accordingly. This is not a bumper crop of choice talent for behind the center. Best choice might be someone down the road that we can develop rather than a first rd perennial backup that will drain our souls.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
The QB talent pool is not especially strong this year so you need to temper and adjust accordingly. This is not a bumper crop of choice talent for behind the center. Best choice might be someone down the road that we can develop rather than a first rd perennial backup that will drain our souls.

The QB we might draft can sit and learn behind Romo. Don't have to rush him, which is a mistake a lot of teams do with young qb's.

AzorAhai

Reaction score

Thats your opinion. Mine is that Goff has franchise QB potential and I would take him without hesitation.

Jeffkills

Reaction score
This team needs to focus on losing!

Look how much ground it could give up in draft position considering all the teams with only 4 or less wins:

NFL Team Conf Div W-L
Cleveland Browns AFC ACN 2 9
Tennessee Titans AFC ACS 2 9
Dallas Cowboys NFC NCE 3 8
San Diego Chargers AFC ACW 3 8
San Francisco 49ers NFC NCW 3 8
Baltimore Ravens AFC ACN 4 7
Detroit Lions NFC NCN 4 7
Jacksonville Jaguars AFC ACS 4 7
Miami Dolphins AFC ACE 4 7
New Orleans Saints NFC NCS 4 7
Philadelphia Eagles NFC NCE 4 7
St. Louis Rams NFC NCW 4 7

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
for the tanking crowd: I'm not sure why ya'll are worried about it, when they were TRYING to win games with Weeden / Cassel they couldn't do it. What is different now? It's the same piss poor coaching staff (except for Marinelli, what that man is able to do with pop warner talent is astounding), the same below average QB, and the same talent scarce defense. If they couldn't win one single game with the roster they had then which is now the same roster again after week 11, what all of a sudden makes you think they are going to start winning?

Hardline

Reaction score
Cleveland plays Cincinnati at home next week
Tennessee plays Jacksonville at home

For those playing along at home.

Can't see Cleveland beating Cincinnati but Tennessee should beat Jacksonville

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Gross. Give me all the wins the team can get. Draft well whatever your position and instill a winning culture. Teach the players you've got and get a head start on the process starting now.

This hoping for losses and trying to make it up with earlier picks turns my stomach. And pretending it leads to a better organization in the long run is a quitter's fantasy. It leads to the Browns.

But doesnt taking a Browns QB lead to the Browns...or from the Browns or some conjoined myslexia therein?

DakotaReign

JaBoy
Reaction score
for the tanking crowd: I'm not sure why ya'll are worried about it, when they were TRYING to win games with Weeden / Cassel they couldn't do it. What is different now? It's the same piss poor coaching staff (except for Marinelli, what that man is able to do with pop warner talent is astounding), the same below average QB, and the same talent scarce defense. If they couldn't win one single game with the roster they had then which is now the same roster again after week 11, what all of a sudden makes you think they are going to start winning?

As a devout Tank Supporter i feel obliged to respond.

1. Jason Garrett is an excellent Tank Commander. I offer his ability to fool you all into believing that he was capable of winning even a single game against the most mediocre teams without Romo's heroics as proof.

2. Despite this, Dallas has an uncanny ability of snatching defeat out of the jaws of victory that gives me pause. We're currently looking at a surefire top 3 pick with plenty of young talent on the roster worth evaluating. (Butler, Green, Moore, etc.) All we've got to do is avoid the temptation of a couple of meaningless hollow victories in a division that will be absolutely destroyed in the playoffs, IF all the stars align and we make the playoffs. Theres nothing to gain from an 8-8 season. Meanwhile, three top-66 draft picks could dramatically alter this franchises current trajectory.

3. Im afraid of Jerry's incessant ego and Garrett's need to save face ruining this spectacular opportunity. Im a spurs fan... i remember the year we drafted Duncan after we strategically tanked the year prior with a David Robinson injury. I believe we have this opportunity for the Cowboys to draft the next blue chipper, and give them an Aaron Rodger opportunity for growth. But that takes humility, and a big picture thought process. God forbid we win 3 more games this season, become eliminated week 15, and are stuck with a =<15 draft pick for our troubles. Thats an option that Jerry and Garrett would not only accept, but strive for. That scares me.

Last edited:

DakotaReign

JaBoy
Reaction score

This hoping for losses and trying to make it up with earlier picks turns my stomach. And pretending it leads to a better organization in the long run is a quitter's fantasy. It leads to the browns.

Negative. It leads to the spurs.

And believing that a 6-10 team has a better culture than a 3-13 team is a losers fantasy, a fantasy in which they somehow believe theyre winning.

black label

Reaction score
The sad part is we are going to try and win and were not

And that's freakin fantastic, GO DRAFT!

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes sir. You get a Dupree89 "atta boy" for your forward thinking, logical way of looking at things.

It's just the instant gratification crowd. They want it now. Let's fast forward to the start of the draft. Ask anyone if they're willing to drop down a few spots to change that Commanders game from a loss to a win. Nobody would be interested because at that time the draft would be now.