Can we stop the Eagles push?

Hadenough

Reaction score
Sooner or later this is gonna happen.
They're gonna be in a playoff game or even a Super Bowl, time running out inside the 10 yd line. They're just going to run that play four times and nobody is gonna stop them.
It's rugby.
It's crap, ban it.
Just eliminate pushing the ball carrier.
If Dallas was doing it successfully I can guarantee you the league would look into banning it.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Just eliminate pushing the ball carrier.
THAT'S the key issue from banning the play.

Honestly, have no qualms making pushing the ball carrier. Heck, I don't know when you can call the play dead if the ball carrier isn't on the ground.

We can all thank Reggie Busch's push in 2005 for the idea to begin with against Nortre Dame.

The issue is I think the NFL likes the idea of runners being pushed. Helps gain yardage.

You do have to begrudgingly give the eagles their due for coming up with that designed play and how proficient they have come with it. I do wonder when Kelce rettires if they will be as successful with it. I just wonder how much they practice that play to get good at it vs other teams who have now used it.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody can stop it bc Hurts is the strongest QB in the NFL. We don’t have the beef required in the middle of our defense and there aren’t many who would even make a difference. Maybe Suh in his prime could hold his ground….

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Can we stop the Eagles push​

No one has been able to stop it yet. If there were a way, someone would have thought about it already.

Best thing to do is try and stop them on the first three downs so they are never in a 4th and 1 situation.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nobody can stop it bc Hurts is the strongest QB in the NFL. We don’t have the beef required in the middle of our defense and there aren’t many who would even make a difference. Maybe Suh in his prime could hold his ground….
It's not even just about getting the beef inside to hold the ground. To even have a chance with a yard or less to gain, they also have to time the snap to perfection and fire off the ball at the same time as the offense. It's almost an impossible task.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Make them pay for running it. Their 2 best offensive players should be punished heavily every time. They would stop pretty quick.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
And by this I mean that rugby scrum technique they use on fourth down to get a couple yards that has in no small form push them to the top of the NFC East and made them a contender for a super bowl.
Playing a team that only has to get 8 yards in three Downs and is pretty much guaranteed the other two is a handicap not many teams can overcome.

At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play.
Your thoughts
No. That interior OL wins every time.

btgboys41

Reaction score
Cant stop it but maybe you can discourage it a bit. If he has RBs, WRs, or TEs next to him, I would use our safeties or LBs to hit them from the side rush. I would make the hit count. He may hunger his yards but I’d try to be ultra physical with whoever is protecting his right and left sides.

jwitten82

Reaction score
And by this I mean that rugby scrum technique they use on fourth down to get a couple yards that has in no small form push them to the top of the NFC East and made them a contender for a super bowl.
Playing a team that only has to get 8 yards in three Downs and is pretty much guaranteed the other two is a handicap not many teams can overcome.

At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play.
Your thoughts
A lot of people want to ban this play, but why is it nobody else can duplicate it? It would be different if every 3rd and 2 offenses around the league were converting over 90%, but that's not the case. They found a play they're really good at, let them keep it.

Also Dallas is one of the few teams that I feel can duplicate this play, our interior line is pretty damn good with Smith, Biadasz, and Martin and Daks a strong QB himself. Maybe not as high a success rate as the Eagles, but maybe Hurts squatting 600lbs has more to do with it than fans want to admit

JayFord

Reaction score
heres the solution

get in the same formation....6 on the dline have parsons be the qb and let kearse and hooker push him into the pile to stop hurts

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
the problem i see is that the formation causes a two fold issue, if you go high you get pushed off the ball if you submarine it they go over the top
the problem is offense can push players, defense can't.

that creates an unfair advantage. I think going low is the key, as low as kneeling in the middle and just going below center and then players behind them just standing up the center. I don't think a LB can do that, so probably be two deep at DT. first group get low. the group behind pushing center back. perhaps a saftey jumping over the line and knocking down one of the players pushing QB. if they have to get two yards, you have a chance. if they have to get a yard or less, its too much bang bang play for it to work.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
the problem is offense can push players, defense can't.

that creates an unfair advantage. I think going low is the key, as low as kneeling in the middle and just going below center and then players behind them just standing up the center. I don't think a LB can do that, so probably be two deep at DT. first group get low. the group behind pushing center back. perhaps a saftey jumping over the line and knocking down one of the players pushing QB. if they have to get two yards, you have a chance. if they have to get a yard or less, its too much bang bang play for it to work.
defense can push players, it happens every push sneak. you just can’t push on FG attempts

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Keep them from the redzone. Problem solved.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
The problem is that the refs seem to allow the Eagles to run this play without calling offensive offsides. I forget what game it was but the Packers tried this 2 or 3 times and every time they were called offsides because the guard's helmet was in line with the center's helmet.

Blackrain

Reaction score
They did not seem to be able to stop it when the team played them earlier this season.

Best way to beat it is to prevent them from getting close enough to use it. It is good for a yard or two.
Beyond that they probably will not do it.

Of course that is easier said than done.

I do not know if it could working as they could adapt but if your D is going straight at 12 oclock position in other words straight forward since they are going straight forward.
Maybe you have your D line attack at a slight angle...11:50 or 12:05 if you are using the clock.
Push them to the side somewhat so they might go parallel to the LOS. Even then that is probably far fetched but just throwing ideas out.

Because what he's really saying is the penalty will be worth it if you can injure/knock Hurts out of the game.
Don't put words in my mouth you bunch of little kitty cats.
It's the same reason why quarterbacks slide they want to avoid contact I didn't say anything about knocking him out of the game but you can initiate enough contact where it becomes very unpleasant for him to continue doing that play.
And yes you may get a penalty because of the way the league protects the quarterback in this day and age or
You may get a penalty for using one of your players as leverage to get over the top

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Don't put words in my mouth you bunch of little kitty cats.
It's the same reason why quarterbacks slide they want to avoid contact I didn't say anything about knocking him out of the game but you can initiate enough contact where it becomes very unpleasant for him to continue doing that play.
And yes you may get a penalty because of the way the league protects the quarterback in this day and age
:thumbup:

Blackrain

Reaction score
They did not seem to be able to stop it when the team played them earlier this season.

Best way to beat it is to prevent them from getting close enough to use it. It is good for a yard or two.
Beyond that they probably will not do it.

Of course that is easier said than done.

I do not know if it could working as they could adapt but if your D is going straight at 12 oclock position in other words straight forward since they are going straight forward.
Maybe you have your D line attack at a slight angle...11:50 or 12:05 if you are using the clock.
Push them to the side somewhat so they might go parallel to the LOS. Even then that is probably far fetched but just throwing ideas out.

THAT'S the key issue from banning the play.

Honestly, have no qualms making pushing the ball carrier. Heck, I don't know when you can call the play dead if the ball carrier isn't on the ground.

We can all thank Reggie Busch's push in 2005 for the idea to begin with against Nortre Dame.

The issue is I think the NFL likes the idea of runners being pushed. Helps gain yardage.

You do have to begrudgingly give the eagles their due for coming up with that designed play and how proficient they have come with it. I do wonder when Kelce rettires if they will be as successful with it. I just wonder how much they practice that play to get good at it vs other teams who have now used it.
Hey I for sure give the eagles their due for coming up with the play I'm just saying it's not impossible to come up with a solution to stop that play and we need to come up with it before we have to play them again.
Probably has the stat on how many drives that has kept alive how many touchdowns that play has scored.
What I'm saying is the eagles have played in many close games this year where they have been behind and if that play was neutralized they probably lose some of those games.
We are playing them in a couple weeks and maybe in the playoffs it would certainly behoove us to come up with a solution to this problem.

panchucko

It's Back
Reaction score
Its all about the center position. In this case Kelsey. To even come close you would have to put your two beefiest linemen right over Kelsey,....that would be Hankins and Mazi with them each playing half of Kelsey so to speak. They have to be as low as possible,....on their knees basically.

Anyone remember how when Greg Schiano was coaching the Bucs he was pissing the NFL off at end of games how he sent his defense on Kneel downs?

youtube.com/watch?v=jHqyGET_JXY&ab_channel=SayaBencong
the only issue with getting the beef in there is the D is usually in a passing situation and the Offense rushes up without substituting not giving the defense time either