Can we stop the Eagles push?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The big caveat there though is as a disciplined defense you can never do that. Suddenly there’s no one in the middle when they fake a slant to AJ brown or sweep out to Deandre Swift. Gap discipline and coverage zones have to be observed
its a risk. you either stack the line and try to counter it, or you give up 2 yards. its pick your poison as you said, but you still have safties and CBs to keep an eye on AJ brown running a route to account for that.

LBPick

Reaction score
I may sound like a classless Eagles fan, but I jumped for joy when Bill's Jordan Phillips jumped the snap and laid out Jurgens. Right idea, wrong target. He shoulda stepped through and nailed Hurts. The D-line can never time its move to defend this play, they're at a significant disadvantage.

You kinda know the Phillips approach is the right thing, because later on Kelce was squawking and chirping that Phillips should be fined, ie: make his response illegal rather than make the original play itself illegal. Kelce obviously believes that Phillips' response would neutralize the play in the Eagle's opinion, so defenses should keep doing it. At the very least it would make the league respond to the play in some fashion.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...uld-be-fined-for-offsides-hit-on-cam-jurgens/

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And by this I mean that rugby scrum technique they use on fourth down to get a couple yards that has in no small form push them to the top of the NFC East and made them a contender for a super bowl.
Playing a team that only has to get 8 yards in three Downs and is pretty much guaranteed the other two is a handicap not many teams can overcome.

At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play.
Your thoughts
No playing dirty, that's garbage. If someone dive at the feet of the center, tripping him immediately, then while others are pushing back, someone dives over the middle, maybe?

DZSierra

Reaction score
You kinda know the Phillips approach is the right thing, because later on Kelce was squawking and chirping that Phillips should be fined, ie: make his response illegal rather than make the original play itself illegal. Kelce obviously believes that Phillips' response would neutralize the play in the Eagle's opinion, so defenses should keep doing it. At the very least it would make the league respond to the play in some fashion.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...uld-be-fined-for-offsides-hit-on-cam-jurgens/
I think the overal play of Phillips was Kelce's issue. If you watch the video in the link you provided, it just wasn't on the tush push, but how Phillips acted during the play when he was on top of the player.

I think we can all agree with Kelce is one of the best centers in football and the Eagles will miss him when he retires (and possbily lose more games LOL). I also believe that Kelce has the respect of his opponets as well. I think this is no different than the respect Micha gets from his opponents (and yes, he does get held a lot as it's the only way to slow him down).

I believe Kelce's point is it's BS to intentionally hurt another player, which I happen to agree with. Hey, if it happens one time, it could be a little over agression on the field and it can happen. If it happens more than one time, people are going to start watching you.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
THAT'S the key issue from banning the play.

Honestly, have no qualms making pushing the ball carrier. Heck, I don't know when you can call the play dead if the ball carrier isn't on the ground.

We can all thank Reggie Busch's push in 2005 for the idea to begin with against Nortre Dame.

The issue is I think the NFL likes the idea of runners being pushed. Helps gain yardage.

You do have to begrudgingly give the eagles their due for coming up with that designed play and how proficient they have come with it. I do wonder when Kelce rettires if they will be as successful with it. I just wonder how much they practice that play to get good at it vs other teams who have now used it.
I feel like it's not so much that nobody's ever thought of it, just that they probably thought there'd be a penalty of some type. Either that or they think of it like a granny shot in basketball. It just doesn't look like football to me. Also, you usually can't even see where the ball is when the carrier's knees hits the ground - if you can even see the knee hit the ground.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How about trying to time the snap count and have a couple of big boys run at the center but stop just short, and maybe get one of the OL to false start?

DZSierra

Reaction score
I feel like it's not so much that nobody's ever thought of it, just that they probably thought there'd be a penalty of some type. Either that or they think of it like a granny shot in basketball. It just doesn't look like football to me. Also, you usually can't even see where the ball is when the carrier's knees hits the ground - if you can even see the knee hit the ground.
I agree with you.

When you think about it, it's more than interesting that a practiced play has been developed to cause so much debate in the NFL. I do have to give them credit for that.

DZSierra

Reaction score
How about trying to time the snap count and have a couple of big boys run at the center but stop just short, and maybe get one of the OL to false start?
When they stop, they'd be dead in the water by stoping their momentum forward, and it could actually work agasint them if the ball is snapped at that exact moment they stop.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
When they stop, they'd be dead in the water by stoping their momentum forward, and it could actually work agasint them if the ball is snapped at that exact moment they stop.
I know, but it's not like they've been stopping it anyway, so the way I see it, either try to cause them to false start, stop and hope for the best, or keep running and risk being offsides. You run into them enough times, they'll start flinching.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Exactly Runny time the snap count to the best of your ability make the hard run and if you don't time it exactly right you take the penalty if you do get it right you possibly stop them.
Say it again I am not advocating trying to injure anyone just make some advancement into trying to stop that play.

Sage3030

Reaction score
No one has been able to stop it yet. If there were a way, someone would have thought about it already.

Best thing to do is try and stop them on the first three downs so they are never in a 4th and 1 situation.
I believe there is a way. Idk if it will work, but no one is really trying to do it(49ers are). Here’s a video on it:

Last edited:

DZSierra

Reaction score
Say it again I am not advocating trying to injure anyone just make some advancement into trying to stop that play.
Nice change of heart! LOL

Your quote below, not mine... exactly what do you mean by "do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop the play"?

"At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play."

Sorry, anyway you cut it, you gave the impression do "anything" to stop the play by being offsides, hurt them, take the penalty, and sooner or later they'll stop the play.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I know, but it's not like they've been stopping it anyway, so the way I see it, either try to cause them to false start, stop and hope for the best, or keep running and risk being offsides. You run into them enough times, they'll start flinching.
Exactly brother if we overrun the snap and get the penalty so what they were going to get it anyway but if we cause them to false start all of a sudden that's not a give me play and they might have to punt.
Taking the penalty has nothing to do with hurting anybody.
But what's important is the change of possession them being able to continually convert on fourth down lets them sustain drives and maintain possession this leads to winning the game without a doubt.
If we can change the outcome of even one of those push plays it could change the outcome of a game.

Praxit

Reaction score
..that play for them is 99.99% credible. Good test will be SF this week. But I doubt 99.99%, they wont stop it.

I left the 1% open for wiggle room.

Sydla

Reaction score
And by this I mean that rugby scrum technique they use on fourth down to get a couple yards that has in no small form push them to the top of the NFC East and made them a contender for a super bowl.
Playing a team that only has to get 8 yards in three Downs and is pretty much guaranteed the other two is a handicap not many teams can overcome.

At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play.
Your thoughts
Sure.

Don't let them get in 4th and 1 or 2 situations.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Nice change of heart! LOL

Your quote below, not mine... exactly what do you mean by "do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop the play"?

"At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play."

Sorry, anyway you cut it, you gave the impression do "anything" to stop the play by being offsides, hurt them, take the penalty, and sooner or later they'll stop the play.
I never said to hurt anyone I clarified it in later post so just get over it and stop being a whining little baby.
This is an adult conversation about a situation that we will face that could have drastic playoff implications.
If you want to cry about the eagles possibly getting hurt go back to your own sandbox and do it as I will say for about the 10th time I never indicated I wanted to hurt anyone. There are many things you can be penalized for without hurting anyone

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

Your thoughts
Like with other plays, teams will eventually figure out a way to limit its success. I'm just not sure how. It's definitely going to take a different plan of attack than how you typically approach a QB sneak.

aikemirv

Reaction score
In the right situation I tell the whole defense to jump offsides and demolish them. 3rd and one at their 35, jump offsides and drive them to the turf. Then the next time they line up I pretend I am doing the same at the line and cause them to jump - illegal motion.

Mark

Reaction score
If the play is Legal for the Eagles™, then why isn't everyone taking advantage of it?

Odd that there are 31 other teams in the League unable to execute this type of play with even close to the same effectiveness the Eagles achieve. Is their O-line really THAT epically dominant?