Can we stop the Eagles push?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
defense can push players, it happens every push sneak. you just can’t push on FG attempts
then that's the only way is to stack the line, like the offense and it becomes a push, vs. push. the defensive formation has to be very tight double stacked like the offense.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It's not even just about getting the beef inside to hold the ground. To even have a chance with a yard or less to gain, they also have to time the snap to perfection and fire off the ball at the same time as the offense. It's almost an impossible task.
You take a situation like down by the goal line inside the five there's pretty much absolutely no way you're going to stop this play so you take the penalty.
Damn they're snap count just everybody fire off the ball and smash their own line and quarterback into the Twilight zone on your snap count.

Take the penalty of half the distance to the goal and tee off on them again they're going to eventually score no matter what but at least gives you a chance to tee off on them and impose your will.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Hey I for sure give the eagles their due for coming up with the play I'm just saying it's not impossible to come up with a solution to stop that play and we need to come up with it before we have to play them again.
Probably has the stat on how many drives that has kept alive how many touchdowns that play has scored.
What I'm saying is the eagles have played in many close games this year where they have been behind and if that play was neutralized they probably lose some of those games.
We are playing them in a couple weeks and maybe in the playoffs it would certainly behoove us to come up with a solution to this problem.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems your solution to defending the play is to intentionally target a player before the play is run so if they get their a player or players hurt, they won't run the play? Worst case, jump offsides and try to kill them so they don't do it again.

Sorry, but if that is the case, that's not only dirty, but classless. Personally, I get the fact that you play like you want to layout the ball carrier, but to intentionally target a player that was "pre determined" to cause intentionall harm should get you kicked out to the league IMO.

Don't get me wrong, in the "old days" it was all bets were off, but medically, we've come a long way in understanding exactly how rough this sport is on a players body, and I don't think any good NFL athlete will go down that road of intentionally hurting another player just to stop a play.

And yes, not doubt how many times the eagles have been close to losing this year, one can't help but think that if they didn't get that short yardage gain or TD via the push, they could have lost.

Blackrain

Reaction score
They did not seem to be able to stop it when the team played them earlier this season.

Best way to beat it is to prevent them from getting close enough to use it. It is good for a yard or two.
Beyond that they probably will not do it.

Of course that is easier said than done.

I do not know if it could working as they could adapt but if your D is going straight at 12 oclock position in other words straight forward since they are going straight forward.
Maybe you have your D line attack at a slight angle...11:50 or 12:05 if you are using the clock.
Push them to the side somewhat so they might go parallel to the LOS. Even then that is probably far fetched but just throwing ideas out.

Exactly why would you take a penalty to give them the first down?

God, when you state "do whatever you have to do to their QB to stop this play" do you understand exactly what kind of person you sound to be? And you think Philly fans are bad? lmao
Yeah I sound like a Cowboys fan who's tired of being bullied by the eagles. I never said to try and knock him out of the game or injure him so don't put words in my mouth you bleeding heart little cry baby.
Anytime you hit a quarterback in any type of way in this kinder gentler NFL you risk getting a penalty.
If you have to use one of your players for leverage to get over the top to stop this play yeah you will be penalized.
If you're down by the goal line inside the five and the penalties only half the distance to the goal why not take the penalty.
Tee off on their offense and make it unpleasant for them to try and accomplish this play.

Then again maybe in your world it would be better to just roll over like some kitty cat be push down the field and succumb to this play all the way to the point where it beats you in the playoffs

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A lot of people want to ban this play, but why is it nobody else can duplicate it? It would be different if every 3rd and 2 offenses around the league were converting over 90%, but that's not the case. They found a play they're really good at, let them keep it.

Also Dallas is one of the few teams that I feel can duplicate this play, our interior line is pretty damn good with Smith, Biadasz, and Martin and Daks a strong QB himself. Maybe not as high a success rate as the Eagles, but maybe Hurts squatting 600lbs has more to do with it than fans want to admit
I wonder what Dal can squat?
Anyhow I would match them and put our two Smiths (Tyler and Tyrone) on the dline in the middle with Martin and Steele behind them (pushing them) and pushed their Oline backwards into Hurts. I would supplement that with with Parsons and Lawrence crashing in from the ends.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems your solution to defending the play is to intentionally target a player before the play is run so if they get their a player or players hurt, they won't run the play?

Sorry, but if that is the case, that's not only dirty, but classless. Personally, I get the fact that you play like you want to layout the ball carrier, but to intentionally target a player that was "pre determined" to cause intentionall harm should get you kicked out to the league IMO.

Don't get me wrong, in the "old days" it was all bets were off, but medically, we've come a long way in understanding exactly how rough this sport is on a players body, and I don't think any good NFL athlete will go down that road of intentionally hurting another player just to stop a play.

And yes, not doubt how many times the eagles have been close to losing this year, one can't help but think that if they didn't get that short yardage gain or TD via the push, they could have lost.
The target is the ball carrier that just happens to be their quarterback they choose to put him at that risk and they have been winning that gamble consistently. Furthermore the league goes out of its way to protect that player more than anyone else on the field so there is a very good chance that you will get a penalty for any impact you create on him but he is the Target because he is the one carrying the ball.

DZSierra

Reaction score
Yeah I sound like a Cowboys fan who's tired of being bullied by the eagles. I never said to try and knock him out of the game or injure him so don't put words in my mouth you bleeding heart little cry baby.
Anytime you hit a quarterback in any type of way in this kinder gentler NFL you risk getting a penalty.
If you have to use one of your players for leverage to get over the top to stop this play yeah you will be penalized.
If you're down by the goal line inside the five and the penalties only half the distance to the goal why not take the penalty.
Tee off on their offense and make it unpleasant for them to try and accomplish this play.

Then again maybe in your world it would be better to just roll over like some kitty cat be push down the field and succumb to this play all the way to the point where it beats you in the playoffs
Don't get upset because I call a spade a spade, and I did not put words into your mouth.

Your simple line of thinking indicates that you can't separate giving 110% to trying to laying out the ball carrier vs intentionally jumping offsides to lay a player out.

Am I incorrect that your line of thinking is to beat the eagles on the snap count and jump offsides and just give them the yards in hopes you punish them enough times that they won't run the play? If so, I owe you a sincere apology.

Funny, I never really see the cowboys being bullied by the Eagles but you do.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I wonder what Dal can squat?
Anyhow I would match them and put our two Smiths (Tyler and Tyrone) with Martin and Steele behind them (pushing them) on the Dline for that play and pushed their Oline backwards into Hurts. I would supplement that with with Parsons and Lawrence crashing in from the ends.
Now you're talking for heaven's sake can we at least try something different rather than just lining or usual guys up and accepting the beating.

I mean heck what's the worst that can happen they get the yard. At least we would be trying to do something rather than just accepting being run over

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
I actually felt like that Buffalo player purposely jumped offsides when he destroyed that guard. Almost like hey they're going to get this first down either way mine as well destroy someone

ryanbabs

Reaction score
the problem i see is that the formation causes a two fold issue, if you go high you get pushed off the ball if you submarine it they go over the top
Right. If you watch it, their linemen go as low as they can. The DL needs to do the same and if they take someone’s knee out, too bad. It’s going to take an injury to stop this BS.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's impossible to stop because you have to direct too many resources to try and stop it. Meanwhile, the offense can throw a pass outside or run around the end and your screwed.
The offense knows what it's doing. The defense has to defend the field.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
then that's the only way is to stack the line, like the offense and it becomes a push, vs. push. the defensive formation has to be very tight double stacked like the offense.
The big caveat there though is as a disciplined defense you can never do that. Suddenly there’s no one in the middle when they fake a slant to AJ brown or sweep out to Deandre Swift. Gap discipline and coverage zones have to be observed

DZSierra

Reaction score
It’s going to take an injury to stop this BS.
It's not BS because one team has perfected a play that it seems like other defensives can't stop.

To eliminate the play, all you need to do is to make it illegal to push the ball carrier forward by his teamates. Something that the NFL most likely will never do. That or make it illegal to push the QB forward, but that becomes a very slippery slope I don't think the NFL wants to go down when your "targeting" only one position on the field for a potential penalty, thus just eliminate pushing any ball carrier forward.

To some extent, the eagles have put the NFL in a quandary by perfecting the play if the NFL wants to ban it.

Honestly, once you're able to push a player forward for additional yardage, it does become like rugby (I guess as that sport has never caught my interest).

Loso86

Reaction score
And by this I mean that rugby scrum technique they use on fourth down to get a couple yards that has in no small form push them to the top of the NFC East and made them a contender for a super bowl.
Playing a team that only has to get 8 yards in three Downs and is pretty much guaranteed the other two is a handicap not many teams can overcome.

At this point after watching the success rate of this play my feeling is it needs to come to a screeching halt and the only way to accomplish that is make the risk not worth the reward.

I think there's not much else to do but take the penalty and do whatever you have to do to their quarterback to stop this play.
Your thoughts
Yes dint let them get to 3rd and 4th and 1

Big_D

Reaction score
They got carried for 3 yards last time, it was embarrassing.. so no! Then when they tried to run it themselves it was equally pathetic.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Can we stop the Eagles push?​

Highly unlikely. A short-term goal is preventing their offense from getting into short down-and-distance situations.

A long-term alternative is punishing the linemen creating the initial push. To do so, defensive linemen must get longer than the offensive linemen and aim for their knees. It is a dirty tactic but players and coaches alike like not feel as comfortable employing the tush push if there are physical repercussions using it.