Canty & Spears-"Need more out of them"-- Bill Parcells

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hey guys, Parcells talked about Marcus Spears and Chris Canty need more production out of them, and neeed to get it now. Chris Canty says he has problems getting down since he is so tall 6-7 I think.

Parcells said that Too Tall Jones didnt have a problem getting down, should we maybe get Too Tall Jones to come in and help Canty learn how to get down for run and pass rush?

Also, whom can we get, maybe Randy White to motivate Marcus Spears, Parcells said, when motivated Speears doesnt have a problem, but right now he isnt getting it done, and he needs to do something, he wasnt threatening Spears job, but said something needs to change, any ideals guys?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
During today's press conference (12-4) Bill Parcells mentioned several times that our defensive ends need to contribute more-- especially in the pass rush.

What do you think?

I've been one of the people that has been critical of the lack of pass-rush by our starting 3-4 defensive ends. Some have said that 3-4 DE's don't have to be pass-rushers. The coach seems to have a different point of view. Obviously 2 sacks out of both guys through 12 games is not acceptable in Bill Parcells' eyes.

Parcells even mentioned that we may have different starters out there-- soon if they don't pick up the pace.

Some may blame Zimmer... I'm blaming Canty & Spears. I don't think either is playing up to potential quite frankly.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
I agree, i am just wondering that maybe we need to get Too tall jones in to teach Chris Canty how to get down, on defense, and maybe another guy in Dallas to teach would be John Dutton, i think he lives in dallas.

But Spears needs to be motivated, he isnt playing up to his potential.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they are not going to call blitzes, if they are going to have ware and or others out in coverage.

Than yes those guys have to create more pressure.

So yes it is on the players in some respects, sometimes the scheme in others.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
I agree with Parcells.....we need more from our DE's. If Canty & Spears can't get the job done then replace them.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Problem is that we do not really have any guys BIG enough to play full time at the DE besides those two. Ratlif is Fergusons backup and Hatcher is not big enough; and will Coleman contribute any more then they do now?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cbz40;1208665 said:
I agree with Parcells.....we need more from our DE's. If Canty & Spears can't get the job done then replace them.

You're 100% right.

For some reason many want to pile on Zimmer and give Canty & Spears a free ride-- no more it seems. Parcells' is putting the wood to Canty & Spears. 2 sacks over 12 games isn't acceptable. That's not all the scheme. A 3-4 defense doesn't mean the defensive ends are totally allevated of their pass-rushing responsibilities-- like some here would have all of us believe. ;)

2much2soon

Reaction score
So everyone who said they haven't seen Spears and Canty do much are on the same side as Parcells? :rolleyes:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
burmafrd;1208677 said:
Problem is that we do not really have any guys BIG enough to play full time at the DE besides those two. Ratlif is Fergusons backup and Hatcher is not big enough; and will Coleman contribute any more then they do now?

HUH?

Hatcher is 6'6", 290lbs.

3-4 DE's do not have to be 300lbs+.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2much2soon;1208687 said:
So everyone who said they haven't seen Spears and Canty do much are on the same side as Parcells? :rolleyes:

In this instance---

Ayup.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
I think with Spears in particular he had a reputation for getting sacks....not always pretty but he still got there. He hasn't really lived up to that in the pros.

conner01

Reaction score
it's not so much about sacks, but pressure. they are'nt getting pressure.i think this is bill's way of getting them going. i would'nt be surprised to see more of coleman and hatcher to help canty and spears get motivated.this game is a big challenge. you can't blitz new orleans much because of their deep threats and bush.. so we have got to get more pressure from the de's to handle this team.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
2much2soon;1208687 said:

You got it.......:rolleyes: :)

CactusCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Remember these guys are still in year 2. Everyone cannot be instant start in a few years, Example-Bradie James. We have a very, very young D that will only get better.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
conner01;1208700 said:
it's not so much about sacks, but pressure. they are'nt getting pressure.i think this is bill's way of getting them going. i would'nt be surprised to see more of coleman and hatcher to help canty and spears get motivated.this game is a big challenge. you can't blitz new orleans much because of their deep threats and bush.. so we have got to get more pressure from the de's to handle this team.

Against NO & Mr Brees the pressure must come from up front.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CactusCowboy;1208704 said:
Remember these guys are still in year 2. Everyone cannot be instant start in a few years, Example-Bradie James. We have a very, very young D that will only get better.

Correct.

But there are many that are blaming Zimmer for the lack of a pass rush when maybe they should consider the youth of the defense.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1208683 said:
You're 100% right.

For some reason many want to pile on Zimmer and give Canty & Spears a free ride-- no more it seems. Parcells' is putting the wood to Canty & Spears. 2 sacks over 12 games isn't acceptable. That's not all the scheme. A 3-4 defense doesn't mean the defensive ends are totally allevated of their pass-rushing responsibilities-- like some here would have all of us believe. ;)

your right, but dont they have to be on the field when the passes occur?

They are usually replaced on the obvious passing downs

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1208711 said:
Correct.

But there are many that are blaming Zimmer for the lack of a pass rush when maybe they should consider the youth of the defense.

they've been here 1.5 yrs or so...

Zimmer's been here forever, and the pass rush has sucked forever

Mr Horse, meet Mr Water

David

Reaction score
baj1dallas;1208698 said:
I think with Spears in particular he had a reputation for getting sacks....not always pretty but he still got there. He hasn't really lived up to that in the pros.

Yeah, you're right. His senior year, he had 9 sacks & 21 QB hurries, and was the American Football Coaches Association first team All-American at DE. So, we know he can do it, because he did it against some pretty good OTs in the SEC.
Seems to me that Hatcher already is putting more pressure on than either Spears or Canty-and he's only an inch shorter than Canty, so he's not having a problem getting down...:)

I will give Spears credit on that 4th & 1 play that Ware stuffed. The play was obviously designed to run between the Tackles, but Spears broke through the middle of the line, forcing Jacobs wide. This gave Ware the opportunity to hit Jacobs before he could turn upfield.