Canty & Spears-"Need more out of them"-- Bill Parcells

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
lets see...

3 guys up front with emphasis on run stopping taking on 4 OLers...

yet people want sacks and big numbers.

this is Bills "december motivation" method for these two guys.

DL is not our problem by a longshot. yesterday our LBs tackled poorly and took strange routes, same with FS/SS.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
chinch;1208760 said:
lets see...

3 guys up front with emphasis on run stopping taking on 4 OLers...

yet people want sacks and big numbers.

this is Bills "december motivation" method for these two guys.

DL is not our problem by a longshot. yesterday our LBs tackled poorly and took strange routes, same with FS/SS.

:hammer:

BlueStar II

Reaction score
I think it's Parcells way of telling them that he expects them to be getting at least more pressure on the QB than what they've shown up to now. Of course sacks would be great, but the lack of pressure from either one of them is what seems to stand out

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1208636 said:
During today's press conference (12-4) Bill Parcells mentioned several times that our defensive ends need to contribute more-- especially in the pass rush.

What do you think?

I've been one of the people that has been critical of the lack of pass-rush by our starting 3-4 defensive ends. Some have said that 3-4 DE's don't have to be pass-rushers. The coach seems to have a different point of view. Obviously 2 sacks out of both guys through 12 games is not acceptable in Bill Parcells' eyes.

Parcells even mentioned that we may have different starters out there-- soon if they don't pick up the pace.

Some may blame Zimmer... I'm blaming Canty & Spears. I don't think either is playing up to potential quite frankly.

I couldn't agree more, Canty and Spears are NOT providing a reliable pass rush at all! I'm tired of hearing "their job isn't really to pass rush" look at the San Diego Chargers line they know how to get to the QB. It would help DeMarcus Ware out a lot if those guys could generate a push towards the QB! I'm glad Parcells addressed the situation for what it is, no more excuses.
:mad:

STSINAZ

Reaction score
i guarantee you ratliff would get a few sacks from the 3-4 DE position if he started...it may be time for that...canty can back up fergy or spears can back him up

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967;1208733 said:
they've been here 1.5 yrs or so...

Zimmer's been here forever, and the pass rush has sucked forever

Mr Horse, meet Mr Water

David

Ebenezer Ekuban
Marcellus Wiley
Shante Carver
Kavika Pittman

Mr. **** meet Mr. Pile.

gbrittain

Reaction score
I am not a genius, I will leave that up to the resident experts. I do know that when the game was on the line, Eli Manning had enough time to fix a ham sandwich before he threw the ball.

Eli just sliced and diced our D on their last TD drive. Call it scheme call it players, I just want it fixed.

A decent High School QB could made the throws with the time that Eli had. That could have very well and should have cost us the game.

Only problem is they left Romo with too much time on the clock. Romo bails us out again.

For all you sack haters, notice I never said anything about sacking the QB. I am not talking stats here I am talking about pressuring the QB.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1208856 said:
Ebenezer Ekuban
Marcellus Wiley
Shante Carver
Kavika Pittman

Mr. **** meet Mr. Pile.

Carver was never a polayer for Zimmer as D-ccordinator

however Ekuban has been pretty fair since he left, and even Kastinka Pittman got 8 or 9 sacks one yr in Denver after he left

he did have LaRoi Glover and Greg Ellis here to coach though, didnt he?

other teams find ways to rush the passer w/o gems at every position...Zimmer never does

David

Reaction score
Bottom line is this:

Canty and especially Spears since he was a first round pick needs to pick it up big time because pass rush from them is critical for DeMarcus Ware because he's having to be called on too much! Man I miss Greg Ellis..:(

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
3-4 DEs arent paid to get 10 sacks a year. They are paid to absorb blockers on passing downs and stop the run.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
I see we are back at this.

I understand its getting brought up because BP said something but this is Bill being Bill.

How soon everyone forgets how much he tried to play down Romo's ridiculous month of play so far. Saying he's been "good" and made throws even he (BP) could make, blah blah blah.

This being said why do people take his words on Canty and Spears to be 100% authentic?

We pulled the numbers up 100 times before this and no 3-4 DL has had more than 10 sacks in the recent years. And this icludes the CHAMPIONSHIP Steelers of last year and the Patriots team who has put togther a dynasty type run in the pat 5 years or so.

We are stopping the run, we beat up Peyton Manning this year and our defense is 4th total in the league.

So criticize what you want but you cannot deny the fact that we are #4 in total defense and we have 8 wins.

Make problems with TO dropping the ball or something, that is more popular than this lame arguement.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
smarta5150;1208883 said:
I see we are back at this.

I understand its getting brought up because BP said something but this is Bill being Bill.

How soon everyone forgets how much he tried to play down Romo's ridiculous month of play so far. Saying he's been "good" and made throws even he (BP) could make, blah blah blah.

This being said why do people take his words on Canty and Spears to be 100% authentic?

We pulled the numbers up 100 times before this and no 3-4 DL has had more than 10 sacks in the recent years. And this icludes the CHAMPIONSHIP Steelers of last year and the Patriots team who has put togther a dynasty type run in the pat 5 years or so.

We are stopping the run, we beat up Peyton Manning this year and our defense is 4th total in the league.

So criticize what you want but you cannot deny the fact that we are #4 in total defense and we have 8 wins.

Make problems with TO dropping the ball or something, that is more popular than this lame arguement.

Our 3 defensive line starters have 2 sacks-- total over 12 games.

Color me concerned.

And Parcells is apparently concernced also.

Bill isn't "BSing" anyone-- the lack of production out of Canty & Spears is an issue.

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1208903 said:

Color me concerned.

Bill isn't "BSing" anyone-- the lack of production out of Canty & Spears is an issue.

Agreed!

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score

Color me concerned.

If we couldnt stop the run or QBs were picking us apart due to time I would be concerned.

But 4th defense is all I see through this.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score

Color me concerned.

well again MW, they are replaced on virtually every passing down

how many sacks do you epect them to get?

David

Zman5

Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1208879 said:
3-4 DEs arent paid to get 10 sacks a year. They are paid to absorb blockers on passing downs and stop the run.

True that they are not expected to get sacks but they are paid to provide a push in the middle so the QBs can't step up to avoid the edge pass rushers.

They (Canty and Spears) haven't been doing that consitently. If they can provide some push in the middle, I bet Ware would have alot more sacks.

2much2soon

Reaction score
smarta5150;1208909 said:
If we couldnt stop the run or QBs were picking us apart due to time I would be concerned.

But 4th defense is all I see through this.

I still see QBs standing unharried behind their offensive lines way too much when they play Dallas. It could of cost the team big time yesterday if Romo wasn't money. You don't want to depend on Romo doing that all the time.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
dbair1967;1208912 said:
well again MW, they are replaced on virtually every passing down

how many sacks do you epect them to get?

David

Good point.

We are bringing in Ratliff and Hatcher on virtually every passing situation.

And if our 3 starters do have 2 sacks will another 5 be the difference in winning a superbowl? I say another 5 because that is what the Steelers and Pats 3-4 lineman were ending up with combined.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
2much2soon;1208919 said:
I still see QBs standing unharried behind their offensive lines way too much when they play Dallas. It could of cost the team big time yesterday if Romo wasn't money. You don't want to depend on Romo doing that all the time.

So every win under Romo was a win strictly BECAUSE of Romo?

Come on this was 1 game against a division rival against a team who was due for a well played game.

Funny how no one complained about Canty and Spears after the Colts game.