Canty & Spears-"Need more out of them"-- Bill Parcells

Reaction score
Zman5;1208917 said:
True that they are not expected to get sacks but they are paid to provide a push in the middle so the QBs can't step up to avoid the edge pass rushers.

They (Canty and Spears) haven't been doing that consitently. If they can provide some push in the middle, I bet Ware would have alot more sacks.

Ding Ding, you've hit it right on the head, and Parcells knows that too!!!!

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
This draft, (and I'm not listening to anyone talking about WOLB and all this crap) we need to draft an OLB or DE/OLB that can get after the QB like Mark Anderson for the Bears.

We can no longer afford to find OLBrs and make them 3/4 guys, we need to find Ware clones because this ain't working. The only one that brings pressure is Ware and he's in coverage half of the time, so the other guy must be a serious passrusher.

2much2soon

Reaction score
smarta5150;1208925 said:
So every win under Romo was a win strictly BECAUSE of Romo?

Come on this was 1 game against a division rival against a team who was due for a well played game.

Funny how no one complained about Canty and Spears after the Colts game.

Romo had to bring the team down the field against the deadskins and the gints in the closing moments because the dline got no pressure on Brunell or Manning.
Thats what, 2 of 6 games, or 30% of the time? Are you comfortable with that? Do you think it will get easier in the playoffs with no pressure from the defensive line?

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
2much2soon;1208944 said:
Romo had to bring the team down the field against the deadskins and the gints in the closing moments because the dline got no pressure on Brunell or Manning.
Thats what, 2 of 6 games, or 30% of the time? Are you comfortable with that? Do you think it will get easier in the playoffs with no pressure from the defensive line?

So Canty and Spears are to blame for our 23 total points? Romo's 2 INTs and a fumble?

Romo wouldnt have had to bring us down the field if Gramma didnt miss his 1st kick.

My point is some games come down to the closing minutes. Ask the Colts.

You cant pick on 2 guys who arent even in the game on passing situations that we dont have a pass rush... like a lot of people are doing.

It was a close game, they happen. You named 2/6 games and they are both division rivals. Thats how these games are suppose to go.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
smarta5150;1208962 said:
So Canty and Spears are to blame for our 23 total points? Romo's 2 INTs and a fumble?

Romo wouldnt have had to bring us down the field if Gramma didnt miss his 1st kick.

My point is some games come down to the closing minutes. Ask the Colts.

You cant pick on 2 guys who arent even in the game on passing situations that we dont have a pass rush... like a lot of people are doing.

It was a close game, they happen. You named 2/6 games and they are both division rivals. Thats how these games are suppose to go.

OK...

Outside of the Davis/Watkins who has played worse on the starting defensive unit this year than Canty and Spears?

I'll await your indepth answer. :)

And don't cheese out and say "Als".

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1208636 said:
During today's press conference (12-4) Bill Parcells mentioned several times that our defensive ends need to contribute more-- especially in the pass rush.

What do you think?

I've been one of the people that has been critical of the lack of pass-rush by our starting 3-4 defensive ends. Some have said that 3-4 DE's don't have to be pass-rushers. The coach seems to have a different point of view. Obviously 2 sacks out of both guys through 12 games is not acceptable in Bill Parcells' eyes.

Parcells even mentioned that we may have different starters out there-- soon if they don't pick up the pace.

Some may blame Zimmer... I'm blaming Canty & Spears. I don't think either is playing up to potential quite frankly.

3-4 DE arn't supposed to be big pass rushers. Remember, in a 3-4 defense your defensive line men are the cogs that prevent running lanes. They are the meat that prevents push at the line of scrimage. If you have those guys twisting or trying to speed rush around the end, who is going to clog the hole that they leave? These guys can pretty much only bull rush because anything else will expose the linebackers to huge offensive linemen. That my friend is a no-no. These guys can stunt, but they must be able to contain their gaps if they do. Thats gap(s) as in two. The 3-4 is a two gap defense unlike the 4-3 each player is responsible for a single gap. This means it's not uncommon for them to take on two offensive linemen. I don't mean them get double teamed, I mean them getting in the way (clogging the lane) of two offensive linemen. They do not stunt much that I've seen and I'm sure there is a reason for it. Probably because they have trouble containing their gaps.

Of course that doesn't mean they shouldn't be applying any pressure on the QB. It just means they arn't expected to be dominating pass rushers

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
STSINAZ;1208819 said:
i guarantee you ratliff would get a few sacks from the 3-4 DE position if he started...it may be time for that...canty can back up fergy or spears can back him up

I doubt that will happen. Ratliff backs up Ferguson. The only person I think that could do that would be Spears. Spears overall hasn't been playing that bad. Parcells said he has motivation problems. Moving it would just make things worse.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
HeavyHitta31;1208879 said:
3-4 DEs arent paid to get 10 sacks a year. They are paid to absorb blockers on passing downs and stop the run.

Exactly. :hammer:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
People don't understand. Parcells isn't asking for sacks from Canty and Spears. What he is asking for is pressure. Sacks arn't an issue. If they apply pressure then the sacks will come. They MUST CONTAIN TWO GAPS. You cannot cheat to one side in an attempt slip by and get a sack. If you did you would EXPOSE your defense to the run.

Read it, learn it, accept it. Its a FACT.

Aikbach

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1209028 said:
OK...

Outside of the Davis/Watkins who has played worse on the starting defensive unit this year than Canty and Spears?

I'll await your indepth answer. :)

And don't cheese out and say "Als".
Until recently I would have said Akin Ayodele but he's stepped up his play. Spears and Canty aren't flashy, neither is the media darling Richard Seymour however Canty and Spears can do better. They've been solid but are capable of much more.

wileedog

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1208903 said:
Our 3 defensive line starters have 2 sacks-- total over 12 games.

Color me concerned.

And Parcells is apparently concernced also.

Bill isn't "BSing" anyone-- the lack of production out of Canty & Spears is an issue.

I agree.

I'm not asking either of them to be Richard Seymour, but I would like to at least see more pressure from them without having to blitz, and I'm sure that is what Bill's problem is. It sucks when Ware successfully gets around on the edge and makes the QB step up and there is no one there to clean up.

I can't really remember the last time I saw Canty even in the same zip code as the QB.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1209032 said:
3-4 DE arn't supposed to be big pass rushers. Remember, in a 3-4 defense your defensive line men are the cogs that prevent running lanes. They are the meat that prevents push at the line of scrimage. If you have those guys twisting or trying to speed rush around the end, who is going to clog the hole that they leave? These guys can pretty much only bull rush because anything else will expose the linebackers to huge offensive linemen. That my friend is a no-no. These guys can stunt, but they must be able to contain their gaps if they do. Thats gap(s) as in two. The 3-4 is a two gap defense unlike the 4-3 each player is responsible for a single gap. This means it's not uncommon for them to take on two offensive linemen. I don't mean them get double teamed, I mean them getting in the way (clogging the lane) of two offensive linemen. They do not stunt much that I've seen and I'm sure there is a reason for it. Probably because they have trouble containing their gaps.

Of course that doesn't mean they shouldn't be applying any pressure on the QB. It just means they arn't expected to be dominating pass rushers

Thanks for the football lesson...

But we knew all that.

Parcells is disappointed in their play and he has a right to be.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1209050 said:

Your starting defensive line has a grand total of 2 sacks.

The number doesn't look any more impressive blown up does it?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
nyc;1209065 said:
People don't understand. Parcells isn't asking for sacks from Canty and Spears. What he is asking for is pressure. Sacks arn't an issue. If they apply pressure then the sacks will come. They MUST CONTAIN TWO GAPS. You cannot cheat to one side in an attempt slip by and get a sack. If you did you would EXPOSE your defense to the run.

Read it, learn it, accept it. Its a FACT.

I'm glad that you're happy with 2 total sacks and no pressure.

wileedog

Reaction score
nyc;1209065 said:
People don't understand. Parcells isn't asking for sacks from Canty and Spears. What he is asking for is pressure.

Uh, that's what we're all asking for.

I don't care if Canty and Spears wind up with 2 sacks for the year.

But I would like to see a whole lot more pressure, hurries and hits. Or at least make it much harder to step up and avoid Ware from the outside.

For the record, I think both have been excellent against the run this year, and both are still young and developing. Jury still way out on those guys. But we're going to be in trouble in the playoffs if we have to blitz constantly to create pressure.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1209085 said:
Your starting defensive line has a grand total of 2 sacks.

The number doesn't look any more impressive blown up does it?

Dallas also rotates these guys and as a unit the defensive front has 9 sacks on the season. I want to see more out of Spears but I don't think this unit and that is what they are a unit is playing that bad.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doomsday101;1209105 said:
Dallas also rotates these guys and as a unit the defensive front has 9 sacks on the season. I want to see more out of Spears but I don't think this unit and that is what they are a unit is playing that bad.

OK Dooms I'll ask you since no one else wants to answer...

"Who outside of the starter at FS has played worse on this starting defensive unit than the two defensive ends?"

kevsstang

Reaction score
yes it is troublesome that our starting D-line has only a couple sacks but we seem to forget we have the 4th ranked rushing Defense. Those guys are the ones who are eating up the double teams and clogging running lanes to allow our linebackers and secondary to make the tackles. I would like to see them pressure QB's more and force them to make bad throws.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1209114 said:
OK Dooms I'll ask you since no one else wants to answer...

"Who outside of the starter at FS has played worse on this starting defensive unit than the two defensive ends?"

Other than FS I don't think we have played bad. I agree Spears needs to step it up but we are talking a defense that ranks at the top of the league. Most who cover the NFL have said the same but some around here only think about sacks as the be all stat of the defense and it is not. Dallas has a very good unit and we do have room for improvement.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
Canty IMO has been one of the biggest dissapointments this season for the Cowboys. like some said he doesnt have to get the big sack numbers although it would obviously be nice but he does have to find a way to get pressure on the QB. The biggest problem yesterdy was the lack of pressure by our D-Line