Canty & Spears-"Need more out of them"-- Bill Parcells

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
What is Big Bill waiting to see. They are who they are. They are not going to all of sudden become Tony Tolbert and Jim Jeffcoat. Earth to Bill "some teams actually scheme a pass rush so somebody can get a straight line and free path to the QB. not every sack stems from a defender beating his guy" They are clearly not pass rushers, so DO SOMETHING to free somebody up. I am going crazy with our inability to devise SOMETHING.....ANYTHING....to hit or put the others teams QB on the ground.....or hurry him into turnovers!

billknows

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1208856 said:
Ebenezer Ekuban
Marcellus Wiley
Shante Carver
Kavika Pittman

Mr. **** meet Mr. Pile.
Now thats funny ,hehehe:laugh2:

cnhnyy

Reaction score
Eli Manning came to life thanks to our passruh, or lackof. It is sickening to see our DL dancing with their OL while Eli was eating sandwichs and still able to look for Schokey or Plax. You and I all knew that we were going to give up a TD even before the drive.

Remember Eli had a worse QB rating than Rex Grossman before the game. We made him look like his brother. You know what, if we give Rex Grossman/Jeff Garcis this much time, they will become Peyton Manning against us as well.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
cnhnyy;1210234 said:
Eli Manning came to life thanks to our passruh, or lackof. It is sickening to see our DL dancing with their OL while Eli was eating sandwichs and still able to look for Schokey or Plax. You and I all knew that we were going to give up a TD even before the drive.

Remember Eli had a worse QB rating than Rex Grossman before the game. We made him look like his brother. You know what, if we give Rex Grossman/Jeff Garcis this much time, they will become Peyton Manning against us as well.
you my friend are correct...you do not let average players who are struggling establish a rhythm....

This goes all the way back to Jacksonville. Leftwich is no more mobile than Drew Bledsoe. Plus he has a wind up. Plus his WRs are big, therefore take longer to get open. So what do we do? We allow Leftwich and his WRs to play catch.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think some people are putting their own spin on what Parcells said. He wants more production, more effort, better technique, not necessarily more sacks out of these two guys.

1. Spears and Canty aren't making plays against the run either...they aren't dominating gaps or making tackles. Please, don't try to pretend you have the answer and they aren't supposed to make tackles...it was always said of the 4-3 that there are 4 linemen to protect the smallish LB's...suddenly now people want to say the same thing about the 3-4, when actually it's the 3-4 that needs the bigger inside backers who have to take on OLmen. Spears and Candy seldom get off the ball and get any penetration...these guys are supposed to get through and make a tackle for loss from time to time. They aren't being very productive and NY's success running the ball is evidence of that.

2. Spears and Canty don't have to get sacks, but they should be able to force a doubleteam...if Spears and Canty can't force someone to help the OT from time to time because they can't beat the guy, then it also affects the blitz in that there are more guys to block the blitzers. Spears and Canty have to push the pocket, along with Ferguson, and then it won't just be about their sacks...it will require the offense to block them with more than just the OT's and our blitz packages will be more effective.

Think about it this way...with most teams, when they blitz and the offense picks up the blitzers, often it's the DL that gets the sack because suddenly they are man on man or they come through clean due to confusion...look how often we've blitzed...when was the last time you saw Spears or Canty make a play?

We have a very good defense, but those who attack the rest of us for being "negative" when we talk about certain players not producing or having a bad game until Parcells comes out and says the same thing should realize that it's all about getting better, becoming a GREAT defense, and possibly winning a SB. There's an old saying that "if you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards...there's no standing still."

Spears and CAnty are still young, but they should come up with 1-2 big plays per game against the run, an occasional play where they get through a gap or block to make a big tackle for loss, shouldn't they? They should occasionally push the pocket back into the QB's face or take advantage of our blitz package and get in the QB's face for a pressure if not a sack, shouldn't they?

If all we want out of them is a big strong plodder to occupy blockers at the line of scrimmage, then we shouldn't spend high draft picks on that position.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
wayne_motley;1210241 said:
I think some people are putting their own spin on what Parcells said. He wants more production, more effort, better technique, not necessarily more sacks out of these two guys.

1. Spears and Canty aren't making plays against the run either...they aren't dominating gaps or making tackles. Please, don't try to pretend you have the answer and they aren't supposed to make tackles...it was always said of the 4-3 that there are 4 linemen to protect the smallish LB's...suddenly now people want to say the same thing about the 3-4, when actually it's the 3-4 that needs the bigger inside backers who have to take on OLmen. Spears and Candy seldom get off the ball and get any penetration...these guys are supposed to get through and make a tackle for loss from time to time. They aren't being very productive and NY's success running the ball is evidence of that.

2. Spears and Canty don't have to get sacks, but they should be able to force a doubleteam...if Spears and Canty can't force someone to help the OT from time to time because they can't beat the guy, then it also affects the blitz in that there are more guys to block the blitzers. Spears and Canty have to push the pocket, along with Ferguson, and then it won't just be about their sacks...it will require the offense to block them with more than just the OT's and our blitz packages will be more effective.

Think about it this way...with most teams, when they blitz and the offense picks up the blitzers, often it's the DL that gets the sack because suddenly they are man on man or they come through clean due to confusion...look how often we've blitzed...when was the last time you saw Spears or Canty make a play?

We have a very good defense, but those who attack the rest of us for being "negative" when we talk about certain players not producing or having a bad game until Parcells comes out and says the same thing should realize that it's all about getting better, becoming a GREAT defense, and possibly winning a SB. There's an old saying that "if you're not moving forward, you're moving backwards...there's no standing still."

Spears and CAnty are still young, but they should come up with 1-2 big plays per game against the run, an occasional play where they get through a gap or block to make a big tackle for loss, shouldn't they? They should occasionally push the pocket back into the QB's face or take advantage of our blitz package and get in the QB's face for a pressure if not a sack, shouldn't they?

If all we want out of them is a big strong plodder to occupy blockers at the line of scrimmage, then we shouldn't spend high draft picks on that position.
You guys are cooking now. I mean Canty was a 4th round pick...so the fact that he is a starter will always justify the investment. But Spears and him have the same impact on the game, which suggest we should NOT have spent a 1st on Spears. We are NOT a GREAT defense. A GREAT defense shuts that game down. All of us, KNEW Eli was going to march them right down the field and tie the game up. What a sickening feeling. Seriously. For them to be considered great OR go to the next level...you have to close that game out on defense. You just have to. The Ravens don't allow that TD. We are not being negative, we are telling the truth. What do you think Parcells is thinking. How many 1st round picks are on that defense? How many double digit signing bonues are on that defense.

Having said that, part of it is coaching. Let the dogs loose and let them earn their paychecks....before this is all said and done, those guys are going to have to win a game for us. And they should based on the investment and how this team is constructed.

Aikbach

Reaction score
bbailey423;1210245 said:
You guys are cooking now. I mean Canty was a 4th round pick...so the fact that he is a starter will always justify the investment. But Spears and him have the same impact on the game, which suggest we should NOT have spent a 1st on Spears. We are NOT a GREAT defense. A GREAT defense shuts that game down. All of us, KNEW Eli was going to march them right down the field and tie the game up. What a sickening feeling. Seriously. For them to be considered great OR go to the next level...you have to close that game out on defense. You just have to. The Ravens don't allow that TD. We are not being negative, we are telling the truth. What do you think Parcells is thinking. How many 1st round picks are on that defense? How many double digit signing bonues are on that defense.

Having said that, part of it is coaching. Let the dogs loose and let them earn their paychecks....before this is all said and done, those guys are going to have to win a game for us. And they should based on the investment and how this team is constructed.
The problem with Spears is that he wears number 96 which is a cursed number for Cowboys. Shante Carver, Ebenezer Ekuban, 1996 was the year suspensions, injuries and defections signaled the final blow to the Cowboy dynasty and was the last year they won a playoff game. Beware of 96.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like I said earlier... right now Canty and Spears are the 9th and 10th worst starters on this defense.

Aikbach

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;1210323 said:
Like I said earlier... right now Canty and Spears are the 9th and 10th worst starters on this defense.
It is a testament of progress when average play can be called out with the assumption that it can be improved upon.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
wileedog;1209092 said:
Uh, that's what we're all asking for.

Umm, no. Read the thread. Someone is complaining that they only have (2) sacks.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
I say we cut them both and see if we can pull another Romo out of our butts. Next year we start (2) undrafted free agents as our starting defensive ends! :)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;1209967 said:
So he stuck with the QB too long, but it's not possible that he's stuck with the DCoord too long?

:rolleyes:

4 years too long.

So parcells is a "total ******" but he should know if Zimmer is garbage or not?

You sure like contradicting yourself.

Why change Zimmer for an unknown? I'm sure if one of his old defensive coaches became available he'd of hired him.

:rolleyes:

Ekuban was never anything special, but he's done better since he's left Dallas.

Hell, his first year away from Dallas he had a career high in sacks. And he wasn't even a starter.

1. I didn't say he had a bad career. Just that he didn't reach his potential.

2. His 2nd year was his best year. 6.5 sacks in 12 games, plus two 90+ yard defensie TDs. EASILY his best season.

And sometimes you can "over" teach. Zimmer is way too anal about the perfection is the degrees a players foot is when he lines up, and what hand he has on the ground, how he reacts to the ball, etc...

Tell me, since Zimmer has been our DCoord, how well have our DBs been at turning around and playing the freakin' football?

How well has our pass rush been?

He overcoaches, and it takes away from the players' instincts. He does a horrible job of taking advantage of players' strengths.

Yeah, and most of them have been bad and have changed coaches a few times.

As far as Dungy goes, that team has most of their money in offensive players. I didn't say a Good DCoord will ALWAYS have a good defense and good players. You have to have a good player and a good coach to DEVELOP that player.

I didn't say it was.

But players won't develop to their full potential if they don't have the coaches with the know-how to DEVELOP their talent.

Yet another couple of defensive players "not playing as well as expected".

Rack I think the whole argument comes down to the point that you think Parcells is so ******** that he'd keep a coach on staff that is as big an incompetent as you believe.

Rack's opinion or Bill Parcells?

I know which way I'm leaning. :)

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
bbailey423;1210245 said:
You guys are cooking now. I mean Canty was a 4th round pick...so the fact that he is a starter will always justify the investment. But Spears and him have the same impact on the game, which suggest we should NOT have spent a 1st on Spears. We are NOT a GREAT defense. A GREAT defense shuts that game down. All of us, KNEW Eli was going to march them right down the field and tie the game up. What a sickening feeling.
you're talking about a legendary defense ('85 bears) not a "great" defense. all great defenses give up points home and away. our D held the gints to 13, including red-zone stops thru 59 minutes and gave the O a chance to win. gints were a desparate team, at HOME, with season on the line, and got help from the refs. maybe our D is not GREAT but it's very, very, very good... among the best in the league.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
chinch;1210606 said:
you're talking about a legendary defense ('85 bears) not a "great" defense. all great defenses give up points home and away. our D held the gints to 13, including red-zone stops thru 59 minutes and gave the O a chance to win. gints were a desparate team, at HOME, with season on the line, and got help from the refs. maybe our D is not GREAT but it's very, very, very good... among the best in the league.

I know they played well for 59 mins....but rise up and play well for 60 mins. They let the Giants drive the entire length of the field and score a TD on there last possession. Look, I am happy we won it...but if the Dallas Cowboys are going to start being a legitimate SB contender for the next 3 - 5 years...you do not let a team drive the lenght of the field and tie the game up....ESPECIALLY if you had been stopping themt he whole game. Look, don't make excuses for them, because I guarantee you Parcells did not want to send the offense back on the field to finish that game. He is a defensive guy. He spends all of first round picks on defense. He spends quite a few free agent dollars on defense. Defense is his thing...and he is trying to create a shut down defense.