Cap Space

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
We’ve got a lot of our own to sign this summer. I hope besides them, we also sign like two solid reliable starters from elsewhere

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Likely had planned to use that to lock up Zack. It rolls over and we often push money forward so it isn't like we aren't spending the money.

It will be useful to have that as we are going franchise Lawrence, put a first round tender on Irving, and either extend Martin or use the 5th year option. Plus, look for Hitch to get a nice new deal.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
We’ve got a lot of our own to sign this summer. I hope besides them, we also sign like two solid reliable starters from elsewhere

Are we projected to have enough to do something like this this summer? I know we'll have to figure out something with Martin (I know he's under contract next year but it's expected something will get done, likely franchise tag Lawrence, and figure out a way to keep Irving.

With the effect of Romo finally coming off the books and the above mentioned transactions taking place, will we have enough space for 1 MAYBE 2 solid FA signings? I understand the FO's style is not to sign free agents but that's a topic for another thread. Is the possibility likely to be there?

robjay04

Reaction score
Likely had planned to use that to lock up Zack. It rolls over and we often push money forward so it isn't like we aren't spending the money.

It will be useful to have that as we are going franchise Lawrence, put a first round tender on Irving, and either extend Martin or use the 5th year option. Plus, look for Hitch to get a nice new deal.

Nah..signing Martin could potentially low his cap hit.

It’s nice to not be pushed so tight against the cap for once.

robjay04

Reaction score
Are we projected to have enough to do something like this this summer? I know we'll have to figure out something with Martin (I know he's under contract next year but it's expected something will get done, likely franchise tag Lawrence, and figure out a way to keep Irving.

With the effect of Romo finally coming off the books and the above mentioned transactions taking place, will we have enough space for 1 MAYBE 2 solid FA signings? I understand the FO's style is not to sign free agents but that's a topic for another thread. Is the possibility likely to be there?

Will we have enough?

Sure.

Are those FA additions more valuable than resigning our own players?

I would suspect us to be a bit more aggressive over the course of these next two offseasons before we have to give Dak a fortune.

erod

Reaction score
Martin and Lawrence are due for their big payday, and Irving will be restricted. Plus, Cooper is free (they need to go get a right tackle and move Collins back to guard).

And don't be surprised if Dak Prescott doesn't stage a holdout if he isn't dealt with in the offseason, too.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Martin and Lawrence are due for their big payday, and Irving will be restricted.

And don't be surprised if Dak Prescott doesn't stage a holdout if he isn't dealt with in the offseason, too.
Nah, I’m calling Dak after the season. Just leave it to ole Fletch. We’ll get our home team discount.

Sydla

Reaction score

I wouldn't hold my breath on FA. I suspect they will do what they've done the last few years - hit the bargain bin for low cost chumps they think they can mold into something.

I am now firmly in the "I'll believe it when I see it" camp when it comes this FO and FA.

mugsybows

Reaction score
i'm under the impression that no matter what we do we will never have cap space again to be active in free agency but teams like the giants and eagles who spend big money all the time will forever never be hurt by that spending and continue to do so no until the NFL goes belly up in 3 years. :muttley:

robjay04

Reaction score
i'm under the impression that no matter what we do we will never have cap space again to be active in free agency but teams like the giants and eagles who spend big money all the time will forever never be hurt by that spending and continue to do so no until the NFL goes belly up in 3 years. :muttley:

We also draft better than those teams.

CWR

Reaction score
Martin and Lawrence are due for their big payday, and Irving will be restricted. Plus, Cooper is free (they need to go get a right tackle and move Collins back to guard).

Thats a monumental reach on Dak. I highly doubt two years into a rookie contract hes gonna go looking for a pay day.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't hold my breath on FA. I suspect they will do what they've done the last few years - hit the bargain bin for low cost chumps they think they can mold into something.
That's not what happened last spring.

Pants

Reaction score
10 big ones available? Red should get an extension....

....and then shoot me

erod

Reaction score
Thats a monumental reach on Dak. I highly doubt two years into a rookie contract hes gonna go looking for a pay day.

He makes about 1/3 of what Byron Bell makes. He makes less than Chaz Green. He makes less than Bene Benwikere.

He makes less than almost every backup quarterback in the NFL.

This is an unusual case.