Cap Space

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I had not noticed how much cap space Dallas is has this year.

$10,350,759 per Overthecap.

Must be saving for Spalding's new jet or something?
We are closer to 14m under the cap with the money due back for Paea's retirement, Zekes, Irvings, Gregorys and DMoores suspensions and another 800k for Thornton signing with BUFF

For the 1 millionth time......ZMartin is already under contract for 2018 at 9.3m.... extending him further will only lower his 2018 and 2019 cap number

We are already 20m under the cap next year before any rollover or restructures......it should end up around 40m+

mardwin

Reaction score
He makes about 1/3 of what Byron Bell makes. He makes less than Chaz Green. He makes less than Bene Benwikere.

He makes less than almost every backup quarterback in the NFL.

This is an unusual case.

Sad Bell makes so much money and plays like he did on Sunday

EaglesFan1

Reaction score
He's almost certainly going to be tagged. He has never produced anything remotely close to this level. This situation is precisely why the tag exists.

The tag pisses most guys off. I guess we will see what happens.

IheartRomo

Reaction score
The tag pisses most guys off. I guess we will see what happens.

It does and understandably so. However, this isn't like Kirk Cousins' case where he has turned in multiple years of solid (albeit not great) ball.

Lawrence has been oft injured and has never produced at this level before. If the Cowboys FO tells him they'll hook him up if he can stay healthy and produce one more year, he doesn't have too much of a leg to stand on to be pissed off. Especially considering he'll be making 20M+ (I believe it's somewhere in this range next year).

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
Martin and Lawrence are due for their big payday, and Irving will be restricted. Plus, Cooper is free (they need to go get a right tackle and move Collins back to guard).

And don't be surprised if Dak Prescott doesn't stage a holdout if he isn't dealt with in the offseason, too.

Lawerance aint getting a spoon full of salt, this kid is back to being the JAG he was for the 1st few years. Yes, he had a great few games 3 sacks against the helpless cardinals, then against teams with losing records. But if you notice he has been quite lately.... he has 2 sacks against teams over .500. Stats looks good when he is beating up on the bad teams. DLAW whole body of work is not worthy of Crawford money and we all no how Crawford has played since getting paid.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Lawerance aint getting a spoon full of salt, this kid is back to being the JAG he was for the 1st few years. Yes, he had a great few games 3 sacks against the helpless cardinals, then against teams with losing records. But if you notice he has been quite lately.... he has 2 sacks against teams over .500. Stats looks good when he is beating up on the bad teams. DLAW whole body of work is not worthy of Crawford money and we all no how Crawford has played since getting paid.

What the hell are you even on about? Lawrence is right there with Campbell when it comes to sacks, QB hits, and hurries. He's had a sack in every game but the KC game, has 11.5 sacks and 37 combined tackles, and 3 forced fumbles.

WeaponX

Reaction score

Yeah, no. Say what you want about his “total body of work”, but he’s been a wrecking ball all year. One of his best games was actually the only game he didn’t record a sack, but he lived in the backfield and was dominating one of the better RTs in the game.

Section446

Reaction score
Please, please, please don't give Lawrence and extension this year; a franchise tag will do.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Please, please, please don't give Lawrence and extension this year; a franchise tag will do.
Franchise Tag is the worst possible plan....you pay top dollar for one year with no cap relief and can only pay him 20% more next year...... look at Cousins

Your plan is hoping he sucks so you only have to pay him once ..... that is horrible

Offer him 4/50m with 30m gtd....... if he passes we get a 3rd comp and have 17m to spend on 2-3 really good players instead of possibly one great one....possibly

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Especially with the endorsement $$ he's bringing in. Not sure exactly how much it is obviously, but it's got to be more than his salary. Plus, he fell into a great position in Dallas - I don't think he takes that for granted and tries to mess up a good thing.

He'll get paid when his time comes and he knows that. He just doesn't seem like the kind of guy who will force the issue in an anti-team type of way. Who knows, money makes people act in strange ways but I just don't see it.
Being a Cowboy has gotten him some of those endorsements and he knows it. You're right. He's not the wave making type.

Section446

Reaction score
Franchise Tag is the worst possible plan....you pay top dollar for one year with no cap relief and can only pay him 20% more next year...... look at Cousins

Your plan is hoping he sucks so you only have to pay him once ..... that is horrible

Offer him 4/50m with 30m gtd....... if he passes we get a 3rd comp and have 17m to spend on 2-3 really good players instead of possibly one great one....possibly
We've made the mistake of paying guys too early, and it bit us (Ratliff, Dez, Crawford). Pray to the football God's that they don't give him a deal this year.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I disagree. The tag is the least risk.

I don't see him accepting 12.5M per when Oliver Vernon got 17M per two years ago.

Olivier Vernon signed an $85 million contract with the Giants on March 9, 2016. Vernon received a $20 million signing bonus as part of his $40 milion in full guarantees. The total guarantees in Vernon's contract are $52.5 million. Those will become fully guarateed if he is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2018 league year.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I disagree. The tag is the least risk.

I don't see him accepting 12.5M per when Oliver Vernon got 17M per two years ago.

Olivier Vernon signed an $85 million contract with the Giants on March 9, 2016. Vernon received a $20 million signing bonus as part of his $40 milion in full guarantees. The total guarantees in Vernon's contract are $52.5 million. Those will become fully guarateed if he is on the roster on the 5th day of the 2018 league year.
Then let him walk

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then let him walk
Or just tag him and worry about it after 2018. By then Taco and/ Tapper and/or another draft pick might be producing.

Taco is very similar in many ways to DLaw as a rookie. I think Taco can be a similar player.