Cardinals release WR DeAndre Hopkins

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I don’t disagree that Hopkins is a better receiver than OBJ, but he’s a volume possession guy at this point in his career. He would be an upgrade over Gallup, but not Lamb or Cooks.

The issue is whether he would want to come into that situation (Dallas wasn’t on his short list, so it doesn’t sound like it), and how much a #3 receiver who can’t run the same anymore is worth to a team that already has one on a big contract.
Yea I don't think Dallas is the team to give him a big number, regardless of whether he is better than OBJ or not.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Turn off the PS5 and watch the real games
Oh....the good ol' fashion "Eye test". How on earth do you watch Devonta Smith play and in 2023 say Deandre Hopkins is better? You think the Cardinals cut Hopkins because he's still the best receiver in the league?

Havic

Reaction score
Hopkins can still play, yea he isn’t the Houston Texans version but signing him would mean we are all in

CWR

Reaction score
I can def see this .........in fact, this may be one of the fewer teams he's willing to take a little less than he would like.

They could really use him as well. I imagine he's tasted enough defeat and is probably itching to win something. KC is a perfect match.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
It will be one of those top teams - Chiefs,Eagles, Bills. The rich will get richer.
If he's ok with only 2-3 targets/game in Philly, makes sense. He's a 4th option behind the top 2 WRs and Goedert at TE.

I think Buffalo makes the most sense. Maybe Baltimore...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If he's ok with only 2-3 targets/game in Philly, makes sense. He's a 4th option behind the top 2 WRs and Goedert at TE.

I think Buffalo makes the most sense. Maybe Baltimore...
I think Buffalo makes a whole lot of sense, as well as Kansas City. Those would be the two favorites if I were to bet on where he ends up.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
The Cowboys have Lamb, Cooks, and Gallup 1-2-3 so I wonder if Hopkins would even want to sign here? Unless the Cowboys can move Gallup but I don't think his contract allows that to make sense from a cap standpoint.

Also have to remember they are going to have to pay Lamb soon so how much money are you giving Hopkins? This sounds less and less like a move Dallas will make the more I think about it.
This is exactly the reason Jerry won’t make a play for him. Too many expiring contracts coming up and we all know how the Cowboys like to retain their players.

EenonyMoose

Reaction score
Yea I don't think Dallas is the team to give him a big number, regardless of whether he is better than OBJ or not.

Yeah, same. I like him on this team as basically a bigger, more dangerous Cole Beasley, but he’s basically just replacing Tolbert at that point. We can all guess how that plays out. Somebody’s getting mad and causing problems, and McCarthy responds by getting fed up and skipping practice for massages.

It would be the smart move in the right scheme, but this offense is going to live and die by 12 and 13 personnel for some goofy reason.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I’m on board. Whatever we have left in the chamber that still allows for at least an average kicker, should be offered to D-Hop.

No excuses at that point.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Ok? And then 5 quarterbacks got more money than him by AAV.

I'm not sitting here saying OBJ is overpaid. I'm saying that DHop isn't going to come in lower than him because of how last year ended.
He’s going to come in lower than OBJ because he hasn’t produced in a couple years, dealing with injuries and a suspension. He’s missed 15 games the past two seasons. Like I said he got released for a reason.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Yeah, same. I like him on this team as basically a bigger, more dangerous Cole Beasley, but he’s basically just replacing Tolbert at that point. We can all guess how that plays out. Somebody’s getting mad and causing problems, and McCarthy responds by getting fed up and skipping practice for massages.

It would be the smart move in the right scheme, but this offense is going to live and die by 12 and 13 personnel for some goofy reason.
To be clear I think he's a terrific fit lol, and I don't care if it means Tolbert, Fehoko, Cropper, or whoever doesn't make the roster.

I just think there are places that will give him a lot more targets and/or a lot more money.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Calling it right now. If we do this we win the Super Bowl. If we don't we are the same pretender we've been for too long.

The stakes are high.
Dude. Come on.

Hopkins is enough of a game changer that he not only gets us to the NFC championship, but we win it and then the Super Bowl ?

There’s no receiver in history who has had a 3.0 WAR score in the regular season, let alone the playoffs.

I want playmakers for Dak too, but setting up impossible goals is disingenuous.

But, we all know that you know what you’re doing … lol

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
He’s going to come in lower than OBJ because he hasn’t produced in a couple years, dealing with injuries and a suspension. He’s missed 15 games the past two seasons. Like I said he got released for a reason.
OBJ missed 17 games last year...I also don't understand where this idea that Hopkins hasn't been productive is even coming from, especially compared to OBJ. Dating to the beginning of 2020:

DHop: 35 games, 6.3 rec, 77 yards, .5 TD, 69.1% catch rate
OBJ: 25 games, 3.68 rec, 47 yards, .4 TD, 60.6% catch rate

OBJ had a nice little playoff run but I don't see why that supercedes everything else.

Carson

Reaction score
How many receivers do they need? He's probably signing with a team where he has a chance to be the number one guy or at least a 2.
He listed 5 teams he wanted to play for. KC and Philly both are on the list.

My guess is he is an Eagle by Sunday

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I would have liked him in Dallas, but that group would be to crowded....especially, if we want to run the ball more and be a more Dak friendly offense.
It would be nice to have him, but I think that ship has sailed.
We arent running the ball any more than we did last year.... go look at the actual numbers. We ran the ball almost as much as any team in the league last year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
OBJ missed 17 games last year...I also don't understand where this idea that Hopkins hasn't been productive is even coming from, especially compared to OBJ. Dating to the beginning of 2020:

DHop: 35 games, 6.3 rec, 77 yards, .5 TD, 69.1% catch rate
OBJ: 25 games, 3.68 rec, 47 yards, .4 TD, 60.6% catch rate

OBJ had a nice little playoff run but I don't see why that supercedes everything else.
its coming from people that dont pay attention to the facts.