Career win percentage among starting NFL QBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah, numbers sound good.

QBs numbers should directly translate into more Ws imo but here there is an always an accountability problem.
Do an "every offensive snap plus/minus" All22 breakdown. Focus on 3rd downs.
Challenge yourself to delve deeper. When are points scored. When are they not. What opponents are being played.
Is the oline getting beat every single play?
Could an audible have been made to a hot route?
Was one receiver stared down?
Is that still the same fundamentally flawed footwork from MS State.
Wow, there was separation there on the replay, why didn't he throw that into that window?
It's a little thing called context.
He still does the exact same stuff he ever has.

You're another guy who believes he has magically morphed into a high volume Big 12 type guy when nothing could be further from the truth.
The winning formula is the 2016 way. The way that Tennesse is doing it with Tannehill and Henry. The problem is THAT oline and THAT RB are long gone.
Just compare his simple stuff. Touchdown to int ratio against poor teams and against good teams.
And then....
Drum roll.
Convince yourself that the one person touching every snap and getting paid the Lions share of his entire team's payroll is not somehow responsible for wins and losses and not just your fantasy football numbers.

Or maybe consider 160 mil spent couldn't have been used on the defense that you are blaming for all the losses while paying a lesser QB salary or drafting one to accomplish the SAME most important thing. And that is Wins.

I mean, Kirk Cousins has really nice end of year stats every year, right?

No worries.

Im about the team.

Many here are about the player.

To each their own.

I'm sorry I must have missed the championship parades the Titans have been throwing with Henry and Tannehill. Since you are so hung up on how much of team's payroll would you then concede that since 2020 was the only year Dak was the team's highest paid player he was NOT responsible for wins and losses before 2020? And since he didn't play in 11 of those games he certainly could not be considered responsible for those right? Dak wasn't making 160 million when the defense was pooping the bed the last two years so that's a specious argument. If you think Dak is the same QB that he was 5 years ago then fine.. That's your right. Dak has been a good QB from the start and I fully expect him to continue to be.. In fact I expect him to keep getting better. You want somebody else at QB.. Fine.. buy the team and install your guy.. I'm going to go ahead and root for the guy we HAVE at QB to be great and hope his teammates quit pissin down their legs as often as they have been.

75boyz

Reaction score
I hear you. But to quote what you said "delve deeper".

The assumption is that Dak can be replaced with another veteran or rookie, that either can do just as well as Dak. But did Dak in a sense made "lemonade out of lemons", in other words if someone other than Dak had been at qb the Cowboys may have done worse. Witness Dalton's 4-5 record, yeah percentage-wise that's better than Dak's 1-3 in games he fully played, but then again some of the teams Dalton played against weren't very good at all, such as the Bengals with Burrow out. But then you could argue Dalton was a terrible qb and not a good comparison. And what rookie can the Cowboys get? Ain't gonna be Lawrence, that's for sure and I seriously doubt Wilson, etc. So much is "we don't knows".

And as far as the "lesser QB salary" goes, at least for this year Dak's hit is only $22.2 million, is it realistic to think the Cowboys could have gotten a better quarterback than Dak for $22.2 million? After this year yeah Dak's hit is going way up, but most likely so is the cap, or at least it's a good bet it will, this year was so crazy with the Covid, but we have months for the vaccine to be given to millions of people, I really can't see we'll have reduced attendance, etc. by the time the season starts in August.

There's no way to tell if Dallas made the right choice except to play the games. You may be 100% correct, or 100% wrong, or anywhere in between, as can I.

We'll see....

Appreciate the specifics discussion response man...

Without being able to predict the future I can only respond with the 2019 stats season Dak put up did not impress me enough in the win loss column to give him the contract he received.

Scenarios and QB names to be tossed about in this year's offseason carousel are many.

I believe Jameis is penciled in for 12 mil in NO.
Cam the same in NE.

Garropolo being shopped at a possibly reasonable rate.

Rumors of Tua unrest in Miami...
Did I hear something similar about Locke in Denver?

I mean it's over now but Stafford was a Texas kid so there was that.

Deshaun still looking around.

So with all these hypotheticals surrounding the value of a QBs salary hit to his team and how it should translate to wins and losses I can only add that I personally can't really forget about a 66 million dollar bonus afforded Dak to sign his name. All the dollars and sense, or lack thereof, lol, are relative imo. But that's just me.

But yeah, I will be keeping an eye on lesser QB salaries around the league his year and what those team's w/L records are at seasons end to determine my personal value opinion.

Thanks for the discussion.

75boyz

Reaction score
I'm sorry I must have missed the championship parades the Titans have been throwing with Henry and Tannehill. Since you are so hung up on how much of team's payroll would you then concede that since 2020 was the only year Dak was the team's highest paid player he was NOT responsible for wins and losses before 2020? And since he didn't play in 11 of those games he certainly could not be considered responsible for those right? Dak wasn't making 160 million when the defense was pooping the bed the last two years so that's a specious argument. If you think Dak is the same QB that he was 5 years ago then fine.. That's your right. Dak has been a good QB from the start and I fully expect him to continue to be.. In fact I expect him to keep getting better. You want somebody else at QB.. Fine.. buy the team and install your guy.. I'm going to go ahead and root for the guy we HAVE at QB to be great and hope his teammates quit pissin down their legs as often as they have been.

I'll always root for the team. But I also hold him as one of the 3 most accountable to team success.
Kinda like the fire triangle.

But with the team, for me it's GM, HC and QB1.

In that order.

Just so happens the Cowboys are unfortunately stuck with a confused dual role owner GM.

I am not confident in any of these 3.

I assign accountability accordingly and that includes the paychecks given.

You divvy up your version of accountability however you're comfy with and pick your annual scapegoat.

I'll continue to support the "team" without compromising my own opinions on what could/should be improved to accomplish more team wins.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He doesn’t even have 16 starts. You’re being obtuse.
Goff doesn’t have that many wins. Liar.
All the other guys have a half decade of starts almpst

But he's not wrong. Stop already, he's signed, lets see if he's worth the money. I don't think people need more raw raw bs. It's pretty much put up or shut up time for Dak and his fan club.

I, for one, hope he can put up because I would be double pissed off if we, once again, signed a QB to a record deal, only to watch us win nothing all over again. but hey, truth is the deal is done so now it's time to go out and prove it. People aren't going to give a lot of shade on this because why should they?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I wanna pizza.
40378.jpg

catiii, I'm with you!

Like, if I could go more then 100 percent on this particular issue, I'd be there already!

ondaedg

Reaction score
QB win percentage is a dumb stat in a sport like football, unless some bozos believe Lamar Jackson and Jimmy Garoppolo are the 3rd and 4th best QBs in the NFL.

That any guy backed by one of the worst defenses in the NFL cracked the top 10 is impressive, if you understand football and aren't blinded by a personal agenda.

This. Jim McMahon went 19-1 in ‘85 with arguably the best defense of all time and one of the greatest rushers in history. Would he be top ten in this list if he played for us? Not a chance.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
He should thank zeke daily. Without zeke winning 2 rushing tittles and nearly a 3rd we would have struggled to win 8 games early in Daks career.

Has more to do with having to keep our defense off the field by running on most downs.

This is a perfect example of why wins and losses are team driven and not QB or any one player.... and the orginal post is irrelevant...regardless if it is for or against Dak.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Imagine how many more wins we would have if we had a team that cared more about defense. Looks like we are rolling the dices and hoping that the defense sucked because of the Defensive Coordinator. We should of signed 2 starters on defense in FA. Not backup's. Our defense was terrible last year.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
Imagine how many more wins we would have if we had a team that cared more about defense. Looks like we are rolling the dices and hoping that the defense sucked because of the Defensive Coordinator. We should of signed 2 starters on defense in FA. Not backup's. Our defense was terrible last year.

And water is wet...
what's new? We do the same thing every year. I can't understand how people are still surprised by us signing JAGs.

Aftershock

Reaction score
QB win percentage is a dumb stat in a sport like football, unless some bozos believe Lamar Jackson and Jimmy Garoppolo are the 3rd and 4th best QBs in the NFL.

That any guy backed by one of the worst defenses in the NFL cracked the top 10 is impressive, if you understand football and aren't blinded by a personal agenda.

Dak is not in the top 10.
Dak did not play a full season, only 3 games. He would be in the bottom half if he actually didn't get injured.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
He doesn’t even have 16 starts. You’re being obtuse.
Goff doesn’t have that many wins. Liar.
All the other guys have a half decade of starts almpst

1. How am I being obtuse given that the OP created a thread simply stating "Career Win % among starting NFL QB's"....well, Tua IS an NFL starting QB hence his record counts.

2. You call me a liar for posting Goff's career record of 42-27 yet this information is readily available and FACTUAL.....so your claim is not only baseless but childish.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Maybe you can help us understand how Goff can have a higher winning percentage despite having the exact same record as Dak?

This should be good.

Perhaps you should talk to the OP who posted Dak's win % as .597 instead of asking me to prove his mistake.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
How many points did the defense give up on average in those starts? Here lemme do it for you..

In the last 20 games which Dak started the offense has scored an average of 27.7 ppg
In the last 20 games which Dak started the defense has given up an average of 23.75 ppg

So in those last 20 games the offense has put up damn near 28 ppg and still we have a losing record. When I read this my eyes shift somewhere other than the offense to find blame. These numbers would place the offense squarely in the top 10 in the league.. The defensive numbers would place them in the bottom 10. But it's the QB's fault.. This team has now lost the last 16 games in which it has failed to score 30 points.. and has lost 2 of the last 4 when it HAS scored 30. But it's the QB's fault.

In 5 games in 2020 Dak led the offense to 32.6 ppg.
In 5 games in 2020 that Dak started the defense gave up an average of 34.2 ppg...

But it's the QB's fault. Yeah.. sure..

We all can agree that the Dallas defense played like garbage in 2020. So, what say you about the 16 games of 2019 wherein Dallas finished 8-8 all while the offense scored an average of 27.125 points/game while the defense gave up an average of 20.06 points/game. So how do you blame the defense for an 8-8 record when they were holding teams to just over 7 points less than the Dallas offense scored? At some point in time you have to look at certain games, much like you and others do with the Dallas defense, and say Dak failed in those games.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

I wouldn't use Tannehill and Henry as an example seeing as how since Tannehill went to TENN and partnered with Henry the Titans have an 18-8 regular seasons record (win % of .692) and have a playoff record of 2-2 and went to 1 AFC Championship game. By way of comparison in his last 26 games Dak and Zeke have a team record of 14-12 ( a win % of .538) and a 1-1 playoff record with ZERO Championship game appearances.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Perhaps you should talk to the OP who posted Dak's win % as .597 instead of asking me to prove his mistake.

The OP didn't claim Goff had a higher win percentage than Dak.. you did.. He made a math error.. you made a reading error. Flip a coin as to which you consider to be worse. Both are errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.