Carl Nicks "Expected to Leave the Saints" - Adam Schefter

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
Eskimo;4378619 said:
If Konz falls to the 3rd he may be worth the risk if we think he is a 1st round talent.

However, the buyer has to beware that he can easily be out of football within a year.

Is there some other health issue with him, besides the ankle? I think I remember you (or someone else) referring to some kind of heart condition. What's that about?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
SDogo;4378622 said:
I hate to think the signing of Nicks would eliminate the possibility of DeCastro because IMO that's a horrible approach but I highly doubt Dallas would tie up that much money into the OG position.
Why would it eliminate it?

JBS

Reaction score
Eskimo;4378619 said:
If Konz falls to the 3rd he may be worth the risk if we think he is a 1st round talent.

However, the buyer has to beware that he can easily be out of football within a year.

Is there a reason why nobody else is aware of this problem w Konz?!? Not trying to be a *****, just literally haven't seen anyone else, anywhere, mention it

Prossman

Reaction score
what are Konz health issues? I remember the same thing was said about Sean Rogers ankle when he came out and heck he is still playing . It would b a dream come true for Konz to fall. As far as big contracts to olineman bigg 6 mill kosier 5 mill and colombo 5 mill and gurode another 5 mill. we dont have a problem give olineman money. especially a young guy like nicks. Prossman

Picksix

A Work in Progress
Reaction score
CCBoy;4378629 said:
Due to the recent Collective Bargaining, rookie contracts aren't in the breath taking gulp area for linemen. That means that a few years are given to prove out and also be integrated to a broader view of where in cap management they deserve place. It's a very workable picture now.

Last year, the 14th pick signed a 4 year, 9.4 million dollar deal, with a 5.3 million dollar signing bonus. Not all that bad.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I'm still not getting my hopes up. This would be too good to be true.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hostile;4378624 said:
I honestly do not know what issue Konz is supposed to have. Can you be enlightening for me?

I may not see it until late this afternoon or early evening. Headed out to Church, but I would like your insight.

Hos, the problem with Konz is that he had an unprovoked pulmonary embolism. This is a condition in which a blood clot or DVT (deep vein thrombosis) forms somewhere in the body (usually one of your calves) and then a chunk of clot breaks off and enters your heart. It then gets sent to your lungs for oxygenation but ends up getting stuck in one of your pulmonary arteries. If the clot is big enough it can be devastating and kill you instantly. Most people do survive, though.

There are many risk factors for DVTs such as previous DVT, blood coagulation disorder, cancer, immobility, obesity and major bone fracture.

Now since Konz is very young and had an unprovoked DVT there is a good chance that he has some sort of coagulation disorder that predisposes him to DVTs. If this is the case his risk of recurrence may be pretty darn high. Genetic and coagulation testing will help better identify what his risk of recurrence is and I assume they will sort this out before the draft and they actually likely have sorted this out already.

The treatment for most DVTs is relatively straightforward. It is usually about 6 months of blood thinners like Coumadin. This is usually not a huge deal.

Now the problem is for people who have recurrent DVTs. The current medical recommendation is that for people who have had 2 DVTs should be on lifelong anti-coagulation.

The problem is that you cannot be medically cleared for contact sports while being anti-coagulated as the risk of suffering a major bleed (especially a brain hemorrhage) is considered too high.

Thus if Konz has another DVT he may be medically disqualified from playing professional football because of the need for anti-coagulation.

RS12

Reaction score
Hostile;4378624 said:
I honestly do not know what issue Konz is supposed to have. Can you be enlightening for me?

I may not see it until late this afternoon or early evening. Headed out to Church, but I would like your insight.

Konz developed small blood clots in the lungs on a flight to or from Hawaii, I believe as a freshman. Apparently UW Doctors were okay with it.

jnday

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378633 said:
Is there a reason why nobody else is aware of this problem w Konz?!? Not trying to be a *****, just literally haven't seen anyone else, anywhere, mention it

This is the only place that makes a big deal out of it . I haven't seen any scoutng report make an issue of it .

Eskimo

Reaction score
Hostile;4378632 said:

It may be considered too much investment in a non-premium position (interior OL) to have a high draft pick and a premium FA salary invested. It is easier to justify at OT and we have done exactly that.

In all honesty, I am in complete agreement that we should not invest that much at OG. I'd be fine with Nicks and a 2nd or 3rd round OG. I'd also be fine with DeCastro and either a low priced FA or another 2nd - 4th round OG.

My best guess is the interior looks like this next year:

OG1: DeCastro or Nicks
C: Kowalski
OG2: Nagy/Arkin/Costa/Holland/2nd or 3rd round pick

jnday

Reaction score
Hostile;4378632 said:

I thnk many of us doubts the commitment that the organization has to fixing the problem .

Prossman

Reaction score
Watching the saints and the falcons, the patriot games ect drew breeze had more pockets to stand in that game than tony has had 2 years. to me all we really have left to fix is the interior oline on offense. Everything else on offense would be minor adjustments. This would go along way to fixing that problem. Prossman

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Hostile;4378632 said:

I just don't see Dallas investing a major FA signing and the 14th pick into offensive line let alone OG.

I have no problem with signing Nicks I just hope they would keep their options open.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Prossman;4378656 said:
Watching the saints and the falcons, the patriot games ect drew breeze had more pockets to stand in that game than tony has had 2 years. to me all we really have left to fix is the interior oline on offense. Everything else on offense would be minor adjustments. This would go along way to fixing that problem. Prossman

And Pross, I do get excited about a drive blocking center paired with our fullback.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
jnday;4378648 said:
This is the only place that makes a big deal out of it . I haven't seen any scoutng report make an issue of it .

It's a very real problem, it's well documented and I'm sure it will brought up in depth during the draft process.

visionary

Reaction score
jnday;4378648 said:

take it from someone who knows

it is a big issue and will become an increasingly prominent issue as the draft nears

would not touch him because there is huge potential downside risk and we cannot afford to whiff on one of our premium picks

Blue Eyed Devil

Reaction score
Personally, I'd rather not spend our 1st rounder on DeCastro.

I think pass rushers are much harder to find in free agency than guards.

Draft Nick Perry to bookend Ware, sign Nicks, and draft another C/G in the 2nd or 3rd round. Add a CB in the 2nd or 3rd you didn't use on the interior O-lineman and you've got an extremely productive off-season of acquisitions.

CCBoy

Reaction score
SDogo;4378657 said:
I just don't see Dallas investing a major FA signing and the 14th pick into offensive line let alone OG.

I have no problem with signing Nicks I just hope they would keep their options open.

Option 1: sign Carl Nicks OG

Option 2: sign a dominant free safety

Option 3: sign a dominant cover corner

Option 4: allow Stephen to work out the Cap

mldardy

Reaction score
SDogo;4378622 said:
I hate to think the signing of Nicks would eliminate the possibility of DeCastro because IMO that's a horrible approach but I highly doubt Dallas would tie up that much money into the OG position.
One of the biggest weaknesses on this team is the oline. Anytime you have a chance to get one of the games best lineman and maybe the best guard you go get him especially at Nicks age. He'll be 27 next season right in his prime. If we get DeCastro too fine but there is no way signing Nicks is a horrible approach under any circumstances.