Carl Nicks "Expected to Leave the Saints" - Adam Schefter

CCBoy

Reaction score
OH, and lost three, lost three, this is lost one. Are you looking for lost too?:)

cowboys#1

Finish!
Reaction score
can carl nicks cover the middle when you know thats were they're going with an extra timeout?

derp

JBS

Reaction score
SDogo;4378703 said:
I'm going to assume you have google because just for craps and giggles I tried it and with in 1 minute there were a dozen stories about it before I even stopped looking.

I mean if you want to hear the recount of when it came to lite just read this.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/79373317.html

About as much energy as I'll put into it.

so you cant find a draft source that brings to light this condition that he has..thanks

juck

Reaction score
Imagine our running game with Nicks and Decastro. Lordy Lordy. We need a FS in FA and we need to draft a starting CB.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378711 said:
so you cant find a draft source that brings to light this condition that he has..thanks

lmao

We will talk later.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ufcrules1;4378708 said:
Our biggest shortcoming on the offensive line? Or on our whole team? I hope you are just talking about the line. Our biggest glaring needs would be the secondary, followed by the defensive line, THEN the offensive line.

Incorrect.

The biggest issue this team has it's failure to win at the line of scrimmage on a weekly basis.

JBS

Reaction score
Idgit;4378701 said:
I mean overpay relative to how much we're already going to have to overpay. But, I agree. We need to sign a top OG in FA.

Re the draft, I agree with others that it's a lot to over-invest in OL, but I'd rather we take players who are bluechippers at their respective positions than get the third-rated CB or a pass rusher who didn't separate himself sufficiently from players that are going to be selected 10-20 spots below him. It always depends how the board breaks, but doubling up on OL isn't the worst thing in the world.

I agree w you completely! the guy i want the most is DeCastro..because he is one of the 5 best players in this draft...I dont think we are going to take him, even if he is available though..I think we are going defense no matter what

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
juck;4378712 said:
Imagine our running game with Nicks and Decastro. Lordy Lordy. We need a FS in FA and we need to draft a starting CB.

We're going to fill the CB spot in FA, too. Though drafting another CB in the first three rounds would be a good idea, too, if a good one is there for us.

CCBoy

Reaction score
cowboys#1;4378710 said:
can carl nicks cover the middle when you know thats were they're going with an extra timeout?

derp

A correctly responding safety can put a top over that. But an interior of DeCastro, Konz, and Nicks can blow open a first down 8+ gain from Murray with regularity and not leave Tony Romo having to complete a 12 yard completion in the game's last seconds.

Randy White

Reaction score
CCBoy;4378629 said:
Due to the recent Collective Bargaining, rookie contracts aren't in the breath taking gulp area for linemen. That means that a few years are given to prove out and also be integrated to a broader view of where in cap management they deserve place. It's a very workable picture now.

It's not the money ( the 14th pick's salary cap impact is very managable, if not right down negligible ), but it's the pick itself that represents the value. If they sign Nicks, that would represent a significant portion of the available resources targeted for the guard position. Drafting DeCastro too, although incredibly tempting, would also represent an even a bigger portion of the available resources spent on just one position. That's not a wise strategy when there are other positions that desperately need talent.

Available resources is not just money and/or or salary cap space. It's also draft picks.

RS12

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378721 said:
I agree w you completely! the guy i want the most is DeCastro..because he is one of the 5 best players in this draft...I dont think we are going to take him, even if he is available though..I think we are going defense no matter what

Why? I know the D is a train wreck but the team had exactly one good O Lineman last year and they are only one season removed from Romo going down with injury not to mention last years collapsed lung. No matter what if Romo goes down season over, less people interested, and less money in gear sales etc.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Risen Star;4378718 said:
Incorrect.

The biggest issue this team has it's failure to win at the line of scrimmage on a weekly basis.

lol, and cracks up the very middle of a defense/offense are always the most painful. A quarterback can roll away from an outside problem.

TheSport78

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
ufcrules1;4378708 said:
Our biggest shortcoming on the offensive line? Or on our whole team? I hope you are just talking about the line. Our biggest glaring needs would be the secondary, followed by the defensive line, THEN the offensive line. Our Oline ranked #13 in the league last year. It NEEDS to improve but it isn't even close to our biggest shortcoming.

We just saw an offensive juggernaut team go down last night. They had the best offensive line by far and it still wasn't enough to get them to even the championship game of their division.

True, but I think that had to do with New Orleans' defense being so terrible. You can get by with an average defense, only if you have a prolific offense, which we don't have. We're a solid offensive line from having a prolific offense. I really hope Jerry realizes that.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Risen Star;4378718 said:
Incorrect.

That is one of our problems for sure.. but our bigger overarching problem is not being able to stop other teams with our defense. They can just go right down the field and score on us. Next in line is not putting much pressure at all on opposing teams QB's. I'm not sure how anyone can deny our biggest problem on this team is the defense.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The consequences of whiffing with a top 15 pick are worse than the consequences of over investing in a position group. If it gets down to it and Decastro is the overwhelmingly highest-rated player on our board, we'll take him regardless of what we have just done in FA.

hutch1254

Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378694 said:
Show me a draft source that mentions it..preferably one that brings to light the severity of it

Take a look at his Bio on the Badgers website. The words injury or due to injury comes up every year except his red shirt season. It will be talked about in April. "He has great talent, great ability but injury is a concern..." will probably be a common phrase coming out of Kipers mouth. And then there's the chest pain thing.

mldardy

Reaction score
Risen Star;4378682 said:
Yeah but I think he's right. A big FA signing at G would probably make us look elsewhere in the draft. It's not about what's the rational thing to do. I could easily see the Jones' twins thinking improvement from within can fill that other G spot.
Ok fine, we look elsewhere. We need help in other spots too. Go get a DB or S in the first round, draft a guard in the 2nd round and so on along with Nicks.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Randy White;4378727 said:
It's not the money ( the 14th pick's salary cap impact is very managable, if not right down negligible ), but it's the pick itself that represents the value. If they sign Nicks, that would represent a significant portion of the available resources targeted for the guard position. Drafting DeCastro too, although incredibly tempting, would also represent an even a bigger portion of the available resources spent on just one position. That's not a wise strategy when there are other positions that desperately need talent.

Available resources is not just money and/or or salary cap space. It's also draft picks.

Quickly, do you rush to protect projected value in abstract or gain a solid piece that meets both economics and high production for a whole decade? The concept of best player available came into fruition because that elevates overal team level the very fastest.

Upgrade is determined on team level, not the draft...as to final value in cost.

A pair of DeCastro and Smith for ten full years trumps transition of a corner and possible comparison at a later date. DeCastro is described as once in a decade skills, similar to an offensive tackled esteemed similarly. I don't think beyond the top corner, that any other is seen as sure locks in this draft.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
TheSport78;4378734 said:
True, but I think that had to do with New Orleans' defense being so terrible. You can get by with an average defense, only if you have a prolific offense, which we don't have. We're a solid offensive line from having a prolific offense. I really hope Jerry realizes that.

We don't have an average defense though. We have a long way to go just go get to average. Think of all the players who will be gone this year. Brady, Brookings, Newman, Walker, Ball, Spencer, (Sensy sucks, Scandrick sucks, Spears sucks) We don't currently have ANY other players who can put pressure on the QB besides Ware. Our defense is a joke....SERIOUSLY. Our offensive line is at least decent right now. It won't take much to make it good. I can't say the same for the defense.

JBS

Reaction score
hutch1254;4378743 said:
Take a look at his Bio on the Badgers website. The words injury or due to injury comes up every year except his red shirt season. It will be talked about in April. "He has great talent, great ability but injury is a concern..." will probably be a common phrase coming out of Kipers mouth. And then there's the chest pain thing.

im not questioning his injuries or even his condition..people on this board are making his condition out to be something serious..which is fine, if it is true..i have not seen one source label him w a red flag due to this "condition"..and until i do, i will not believe it