Carl Nicks "Expected to Leave the Saints" - Adam Schefter

hutch1254

Reaction score
Could you imagine getting Nicks and Decastro? You're talking about upgrading the line to the point where you would extend Romo's career and initiate the career of who follows Romo. During that time where you have a starting 5 you could build depth on the line for replacement down the road. Seems too simple but imagine if it happened.

JBS

Reaction score
SDogo;4378661 said:
It's a very real problem, it's well documented and I'm sure it will brought up in depth during the draft process.

Must not be serious at all...nobody else even brings it up

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Nicks deal is starting to look like one where there have been some conversations behind the scenes. It'd be a good addition if we don't overpay and don't get scooped.

I'd be happier with a DL player at 14, but wouldn't mind doubling up on interior OL if Decastro's there and a defensive equivalent is not.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Great news!!! But I agree with sdogo. I don't see us going to get nicks and then decastro. And I rather pick up a cb or de in the draft if we go after nicks.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
mldardy;4378674 said:
One of the biggest weaknesses on this team is the oline. Anytime you have a chance to get one of the games best lineman and maybe the best guard you go get him especially at Nicks age. He'll be 27 next season right in his prime. If we get DeCastro too fine but there is no way signing Nicks is a horrible approach under any circumstances.

Yeah but I think he's right. A big FA signing at G would probably make us look elsewhere in the draft. It's not about what's the rational thing to do. I could easily see the Jones' twins thinking improvement from within can fill that other G spot.

dboy214

Benched
Reaction score
it would be nice if we could find a carl nicks in the 5th round and a jahri evans in the 4th round like the saints did. save a lot of money that way.

JBS

Reaction score
Idgit;4378678 said:
The Nicks deal is starting to look like one where there have been some conversations behind the scenes. It'd be a good addition if we don't overpay and don't get scooped.

I'd be happier with a DL player at 14, but wouldn't mind doubling up on interior OL if Decastro's there and a defensive equivalent is not.

Of course we are going to overpay..that's expected..but that's ok..we need him badly

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378677 said:
Must not be serious at all...nobody else even brings it up

Then your not looking.

I'll remind you again in 2 months when it's all you hear about.

Randy White

Reaction score
Hostile;4378620 said:
I not only have not seen that rumor, I don't believe it has any merit. The Saints can easily draft an OG and start him and save money that can go to pay Brees.

The simple truth is that a team can't pay everybody. Jerrah said it best " I drive a pick up truck because I have a private jet and I have a private jet because I drive a pick up truck ".

Having said that, the Saints don't have a #1 draft choice ( give you 3 guesses to who has that pick and 2 of them don't count ), so I don't know if they would address that potential hole through the draft. They will have plenty of cheaper options to choose from, though.

CCBoy

Reaction score
theogt;4378644 said:
I'm still not getting my hopes up. This would be too good to be true.

You are showing your Cowboys Fan vintage now....:)

JBS

Reaction score
SDogo;4378687 said:
Then your not looking.

I'll remind you again in 2 months when it's all you hear about.

Show me a draft source that mentions it..preferably one that brings to light the severity of it

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
lol @ people getting excited over adam schefter report, he doesn't know a thing just speculative reporting.. They can easily franchise him if Brees is signed before the franchise tag deadline

CCBoy

Reaction score
Picksix;4378639 said:
Last year, the 14th pick signed a 4 year, 9.4 million dollar deal, with a 5.3 million dollar signing bonus. Not all that bad.

Thanks picksix, for doing all the legwork here. At a four year $9.4M, for a starter and a good one, I would say that is indeed, very cap friendly....:)

reddyuta

Reaction score
our FA record has been terrible in recent years,we always seem to sign the wrong guy.Signing Nicks would be the right step.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GloryDaysRBack;4378685 said:
Of course we are going to overpay..that's expected..but that's ok..we need him badly

I mean overpay relative to how much we're already going to have to overpay. But, I agree. We need to sign a top OG in FA.

Re the draft, I agree with others that it's a lot to over-invest in OL, but I'd rather we take players who are bluechippers at their respective positions than get the third-rated CB or a pass rusher who didn't separate himself sufficiently from players that are going to be selected 10-20 spots below him. It always depends how the board breaks, but doubling up on OL isn't the worst thing in the world.

Randy White

Reaction score
SDogo;4378622 said:
I hate to think the signing of Nicks would eliminate the possibility of DeCastro because IMO that's a horrible approach but I highly doubt Dallas would tie up that much money into the OG position.

I'm thinking the same thing, but it's not a horrible approach, imo. This team has very serious problems in the defensive backfield that must be addressed.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4378694 said:
Show me a draft source that mentions it..preferably one that brings to light the severity of it

I'm going to assume you have google because just for craps and giggles I tried it and with in 1 minute there were a dozen stories about it before I even stopped looking.

I mean if you want to hear the recount of when it came to lite just read this.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/79373317.html

About as much energy as I'll put into it.

CCBoy

Reaction score
dboy214;4378684 said:
it would be nice if we could find a carl nicks in the 5th round and a jahri evans in the 4th round like the saints did. save a lot of money that way.

Their hogs do appear to root under fences rather than attempt to climb over them.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Hostile;4378601 said:
I've been pimping the kid since last year. I honestly think he is one of the two biggest links to the next level of football and DeCastro is the 2nd. Our Interior OL is by far our biggest shortcoming. Get them and add Brewster or Blake or Konz (health may push him down) in the 3rd and I feel really good about our chances.

Our biggest shortcoming on the offensive line? Or on our whole team? I hope you are just talking about the line. Our biggest glaring needs would be the secondary, followed by the defensive line, THEN the offensive line. Our Oline ranked #13 in the league last year. It NEEDS to improve but it isn't even close to our biggest shortcoming.

We just saw an offensive juggernaut team go down last night. They had the best offensive line by far and it still wasn't enough to get them to even the championship game of their division.