Carolina Panthers - really bad on offense, but defense is top 10

Jumbo075

Reaction score
The Panthers have the 7th ranked defense in the NFL, so the Cowboys may not just roll over them on offense. On the other hand, their offense is dead last, while the Cowboys defense is the 2nd rated defense in the NFL. So, it is a complete mismatch when the Panthers have the ball.

I still think the Cowboys offense will do fine, because they are on a tear right now. It seems that they finally adjusted to the "Texas Coast" offense McCarthy was installing over the summer, and over their past 4 games have been very good. But the offense may not put up 7 TD's like they did last Sunday. Meanwhile, the Cowboys defense could really pad their stats this week.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yards allowed is a very misleading measure of defense.
DVOA has them 26th, 16th against the pass and 31st against the run.
They give up 2.53 points per drive, which ranks 31st. They're also 31st in takeaways per drive. The yards are low because they've only faced 81 drives, close to fewest in the league. I assume that's because they can't stop the run, and teams just run them to death (especially when they have a lead), which means long time-chewing drives.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
They give up 2.53 points per drive, which ranks 31st. They're also 31st in takeaways per drive. The yards are low because they've only faced 81 drives, close to fewest in the league. I assume that's because they can't stop the run, and teams just run them to death (especially when they have a lead), which means long time-chewing drives.
So basically they have a bad defense.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Their defense is not all that. Both the Lions and the Dolphins put up 42 on them and the Seahawks put up 37.
They’re a different team at home. Well the defense is…in particular the pass defense. They have held opposing passing offenses in check in their home games. I have no idea how, but the past 3 opposing QBs have been held under 150 yards. Only Derek Carr back in September finished above 200 yards.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Ah ok. That makes sense. As I mentioned in the previous post, I had no idea how to make sense of the yardage numbers.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
Better vs the pass then the run. Pollard should have a day.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They’re a different team at home. Well the defense is…in particular the pass defense. They have held opposing passing offenses in check in their home games. I have no idea how, but the past 3 opposing QBs have been held under 150 yards. Only Derek Carr back in September finished above 200 yards.
Facing the Bears offense helps.
But it is true they held Houston and Minnesota down to a surprising degree.

Carson

Reaction score
If they get Burns and Horn back they are pretty good

Motorola

Reaction score
Past 3 opposing QBs- two rookies and a sometime starter journeyman
Texans' C.J. Stroud (overall playing very well)
Colts' Gardner Minshew
Bears' Tyson Bagent

12+88=7

Reaction score
In four home games they have allowed 17, 13, 13, and 13. That's 14 points a game, very good.

They have played NO, MIN, HOU, and IND.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
In four home games they have allowed 17, 13, 13, and 13. That's 14 points a game, very good.

They have played NO, MIN, HOU, and IND.
I think you're looking at what they scored, not what they gave up. Except for the Texans game.

Edit: After looking closer, you're not far off. It's really 20, 14, 13, 13 against the defense. Though, for the team, it's 20, 21, 13, 27 (there are 3 defensive TDs scored in those games).

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Past 3 opposing QBs- two rookies and a sometime starter journeyman
Texans' C.J. Stroud (overall playing very well)
Colts' Gardner Minshew
Bears' Tyson Bagent
I'm referring to only HOME games. So Stroud who is in the MVP convo, Minshew who dropped 350 on the Dallas defense just last season, and Cousins who was having a strong statistical season before injury. Holding those 3 under 150 yards is certainly notable.