Carolina Panthers - really bad on offense, but defense is top 10

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
The Panthers have the 7th ranked defense in the NFL, so the Cowboys may not just roll over them on offense. On the other hand, their offense is dead last, while the Cowboys defense is the 2nd rated defense in the NFL. So, it is a complete mismatch when the Panthers have the ball.

I still think the Cowboys offense will do fine, because they are on a tear right now. It seems that they finally adjusted to the "Texas Coast" offense McCarthy was installing over the summer, and over their past 4 games have been very good. But the offense may not put up 7 TD's like they did last Sunday. Meanwhile, the Cowboys defense could really pad their stats this week.
they are ranked 7th in yards, but 26th in points. I wonder if their offense been having turnovers that gives opponents short fields.
they are 28th in sacks. 31st in pressures, last in hurry's, 12th in TD passes, 24th in rushing defense, but 5th in passing yards, 22nd in YPC.

so all in all, bottom 10 generally speaking, except in pass defense. they are second in YACs and pass defense seems decent.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They’re a different team at home. Well the defense is…in particular the pass defense. They have held opposing passing offenses in check in their home games.
Which is why we better show up ready to play. Except for the opener, the Cowboys have been a different team on the road. The Chargers are the only team we’ve beaten where we’ve come from behind. We’re not built to play from behind by more than one score.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
From what we’ve seen this season the Cowboys can’t afford to get behind in games. They get taken out of their comfort zone of playing with a big lead. We’ve only come from behind to win one game this season.

Redline360

Reaction score
Yards allowed is a very misleading measure of defense.
DVOA has them 26th, 16th against the pass and 31st against the run.
They give up 2.53 points per drive, which ranks 31st. They're also 31st in takeaways per drive. The yards are low because they've only faced 81 drives, close to fewest in the league. I assume that's because they can't stop the run, and teams just run them to death (especially when they have a lead), which means long time-chewing drives.
Bingo

Most people look at stats at face value when the majority of the time it's so misleading when you look at the bigger picture. If you simply looked at the overall rankings you would think carolina defense is stout but in reality they are pretty terrible.

What I would like to see is for MM to get the running game going. Perfect time to do it as the panthers let everyone walk up and down the field

Motorola

Reaction score
Bingo

Most people look at stats at face value when the majority of the time it's so misleading when you look at the bigger picture. If you simply looked at the overall rankings you would think carolina defense is stout but in reality they are pretty terrible.

What I would like to see is for MM to get the running game going. Perfect time to do it as the panthers let everyone walk up and down the field
I looking at a "wear-down" game by the Cowboys.
The Panthers start out playing stout defense (as they have done at home this season), forcing the Cowboys to grind out a score or two.
But the inept Carolina offense won't mount any drives to even move the ball, much less score points. Dallas could force 3 & outs, even a turnover or two that lead to short fields and quick points.
Eventually, the Panthers D can't sustain their intensity, thus the Cowboys pull away and wind up with a victory ala the Jets score --
say 31- 6 \ 27 - 10.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The Panthers have the 7th ranked defense in the NFL, so the Cowboys may not just roll over them on offense. On the other hand, their offense is dead last, while the Cowboys defense is the 2nd rated defense in the NFL. So, it is a complete mismatch when the Panthers have the ball.

I still think the Cowboys offense will do fine, because they are on a tear right now. It seems that they finally adjusted to the "Texas Coast" offense McCarthy was installing over the summer, and over their past 4 games have been very good. But the offense may not put up 7 TD's like they did last Sunday. Meanwhile, the Cowboys defense could really pad their stats this week.
Good takes. Be nice to work on the running game a bit.

plasticman

Reaction score
Kind of weird, isn't it?

They are tough on yardage but, go ahead, score if you want!

The Carolina defense is burdened by their opponent's 4th best average starting point for their drives. This is a result of the majority of Panthers offensive turnovers inside their own territory.

In addition, the Panthers defense couldn't buy a takeaway. They are ranked 31st.

Their defense is ranked 7th in yardage but 30th in points. That is amazing and tragic at the same time. Their defensive starters have got to be frustrated.

12+88=7

Reaction score
I think you're looking at what they scored, not what they gave up. Except for the Texans game.

Edit: After looking closer, you're not far off. It's really 20, 14, 13, 13 against the defense. Though, for the team, it's 20, 21, 13, 27 (there are 3 defensive TDs scored in those games).
Yeah those numbers were wrong. I looked at the wrong column.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Their defense is not all that. Both the Lions and the Dolphins put up 42 on them and the Seahawks put up 37.
Wonder how much of that has to do with having a bad offense. Offense doesn't help you out, it's hard to hold up as a defense.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Guys, like the Giants, this is a horrible team.
Worried about Turkey day.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Guys, like the Giants, this is a horrible team.
Worried about Turkey day.
Bad team but they’re playing at home with nothing to lose. They’ll be throwing caution to the wind. The Cowboys can’t afford a hiccup in the next two weeks or they’ll end up missing the playoffs. This game won’t be as easy as last weeks game.

Dakota

Reaction score
Hey, if they are a bad team, we will beat them and probably pretty good. If they are a good team, probably not. We are 0-2 ,againt teams with winning reacords. Our superbowl is the wildcard round. Do we get a participation trophy?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The fact their defense hasn’t been that bad means we can’t get careless with the ball. One of the surest ways to get upset by a bad team is turnovers.