Carter is the pick

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
jterrell;3933083 said:
Strength for his size! Yea his 235 pounds, ROFL. You are projecting another 15 pounds onto that in a year for a guy who can't perform a single squat or deadlift until who knows when.

Already doing those things per Carter and his doctors, so your not all about the facts.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3932706 said:
A scout can't see 'em all. ;)

Aye. And if we had drafted a kicker would anyone care who had scouted him?

The pick was bad because of position and fit. I guess everyone who likes this pick flew out to UNC to time him back when he was actually healthy?

:lmao:

SDogo

Reaction score
jterrell;3933090 said:
I guess everyone who likes this pick flew out to UNC to time him back when he was actually healthy?

Careful, that argument works both ways

Bizwah

Reaction score
Every time I watched UNC play this kid was a standout.

I love this pick!

Once we start the PS...once we start watching him play....all of us are going to love this kid.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SDogo;3933087 said:
Already doing those things per Carter and his doctors, so your not all about the facts.

That is welcomed information and with some searching I found him saying he was doing cutting, squatting and leg presses. If he is doing them at a real load (questionable 6 months after surgery on his ACL) that will help him gain weight. It is a very good sign for his recovery.

Here is the Sturm breakdown:

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2011/04/bob-sturm-bruce-carter-tape.html

The Cowboys take Bruce Carter from Butch Davis' North Carolina in the 2nd Round at Pick #40. I will readily admit I don't know much about his work and therefore would not pretend to have much of an opinion on his work.

However, here are a few quotes from anonymous scouts who spoke to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal about Carter: "Good player. Active and instinctive. Nose for the ball. Not a bad hitter. Not a killer." and another said, "So non-physical". A 3rd indicated that he is "most decidedly a finesse linebacker". And a 4th said, "Undisciplined, athletic, but doesn't make the most of it. Not under control a lot of the time. He's not a downhill thumper, either. Not a big, heavy, blow delivery guy. He will absorb a lot."

Those are some disconcerting reports - especially the idea of him being a finesse linebacker. Bobby Carpenter had a similar rap.

read more at link and watch lots of videos of carter running fast and playing not so physical. the last bit about him eating mcdonalds every day is pretty funny.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
SDogo;3933099 said:
Careful, that argument works both ways

No need to be careful as the point was made in reference to me stating I hadn't studied him much at all.

Much like Sturm I freely admit I wasn't focusing on a 4-3 OLB coming off knee surgery....

SDogo

Reaction score
jterrell;3933132 said:
That is welcomed information and with some searching I found him saying he was doing cutting, squatting and leg presses. If he is doing them at a real load (questionable 6 months after surgery on his ACL) that will help him gain weight. It is a very good sign for his recovery.

Here is the Sturm breakdown:

http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***/archives/2011/04/bob-sturm-bruce-carter-tape.html

The Cowboys take Bruce Carter from Butch Davis' North Carolina in the 2nd Round at Pick #40. I will readily admit I don't know much about his work and therefore would not pretend to have much of an opinion on his work.

However, here are a few quotes from anonymous scouts who spoke to Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal about Carter: "Good player. Active and instinctive. Nose for the ball. Not a bad hitter. Not a killer." and another said, "So non-physical". A 3rd indicated that he is "most decidedly a finesse linebacker". And a 4th said, "Undisciplined, athletic, but doesn't make the most of it. Not under control a lot of the time. He's not a downhill thumper, either. Not a big, heavy, blow delivery guy. He will absorb a lot."

Those are some disconcerting reports - especially the idea of him being a finesse linebacker. Bobby Carpenter had a similar rap.

read more at link and watch lots of videos of carter running fast and playing not so physical. the last bit about him eating mcdonalds every day is pretty funny.

That's the thing, i) you have to remember, these are college kids, there will be flaws in their game. Even the best did not come into the league with clean scouting reports. It's the job of the NFL coaches to work on their weaknesses and every prospect has them ii) you will never find two scouting reports the same. Depending on which game(s), the situations, the plays, the time of month ( :p: ) they scouted the prospect all come into play. Heck, even I have bad days...........I know, I know but it happens.

SDogo

Reaction score
jterrell;3933139 said:
No need to be careful as the point was made in reference to me stating I hadn't studied him much at all.

I misunderstood the post then.

Apologies :D

30yrheel

Reaction score
give him a chance.
at least he can run with rb's and te's, which our lb's seem to have trouble doing. he was rated top 15 for a reason. he has talent.

Duane

Reaction score
Listening to Butch Davis on NFL Network, this pick has Tom Ciskowski written all over it.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
jterrell;3933090 said:
Aye. And if we had drafted a kicker would anyone care who had scouted him?

The pick was bad because of position and fit. I guess everyone who likes this pick flew out to UNC to time him back when he was actually healthy?

You sure do talk a lot about the player you know nothing about. :D

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
jterrell;3933083 said:
Tell me more about Carter's frame? ROFL.
You are being goofy. Nothing you state on the topic is anywhere near fact. It is 100% opinion. You are right in that it isn't a debate because you have no real points to make, just things you think.

Strength for his size! Yea his 235 pounds, ROFL. You are projecting another 15 pounds onto that in a year for a guy who can't perform a single squat or deadlift until who knows when.

I do not like the pick and in telling you why am relying upon actual facts not mojo and a crystal ball telling my Ryan had anything to do with the pick(even though Lacewell was mentioned by name and Ryan wasn't). And who knows if Ryan even coaches Carter considering Ryan wants a head job ASAP and Carter is not even cleared to practice yet. Even Jerry Jones has stated Carter is a "future" starter. Why haven't we heard Ryan's thoughts on this pick since it is such a foregone conclusion that he wanted him?

:rolleyes:

Can't argue with a guy like you.. you know nothing about the guy yet you can't seem to shut your mouth about him.

Speaking of fact, the guy was already at 241 lbs at the combine. So putting on weight hasn't seemed to be a problem.

Also, as SDogo already mentioned, he's already working out again.

Who knows if Ryan will even coach him, you ask? Yea.. we're done here.

clutch88

Benched
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3933721 said:

Can't argue with a guy like you.. you know nothing about the guy yet you can't seem to shut your mouth about him.

Speaking of fact, the guy was already at 241 lbs at the combine. So putting on weight hasn't seemed to be a problem.

Who knows if Ryan will even coach him, you ask? Yea.. we're done here
lol..

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Arch Stanton;3933287 said:
You sure do talk a lot about the player you know nothing about. :D

It is hilarious when people quote things that make the post they quote pointless.

And I never said I knew nothing about him. I freely admitted I didn't study him leading up the draft. I know plenty: He is a 4-3 OLB that played under 240 pounds in college and has great speed with natural coverage abilities. Name me the last converted SS that played inside backer in a 3-4?

Again, as I stated who cares how much studying one does if the pick is a bad fit. If we had picked a TE or kicker or QB are those good picks at 40 for this team? If so, why not? We just picked up a non-starting nickel backer at pick 40 and if you don't think that is a bad pick you really, truly must love them all.

The hilarity is no one can make a valid argument for why he is a good pick. They can offer up conjecture: he will be great one day just watch or the staid he was the highest rated guy which means absolutely nothing about how he fits the actual team.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
RoyTheHammer;3933721 said:

Who knows if Ryan will even coach him, you ask? Yea.. we're done here.

Please go see the wizard and get a brain.

You still haven't made a single point. SDogo absolutely did but in 20 posts on the subject you have made zero.

A guy who admits he eats McDonalds every day and was injured so couldn't work out for a quite a while gains 6 pounds before the NFL combine and he can now add weight without problem?

You have proved by now you know nothing of this player and of being a football player at all. Have you ever been in a team weigh program of any kind? Ever known any college player preparing for the NFL draft?

It is quite clear you are talking out of your behind.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
FWIW, and that's not much, I watched UNC play several times in the last two seasons...against UVA and VaTech, and this kid was a standout player on the field. I haven't watched him enough to accurately guage how he translates in the pros, but I can tell you that he was an exceptionally active, and very noticeable player at the college level.

JIGGYFLY

Reaction score
jterrell;3933873 said:
It is hilarious when people quote things that make the post they quote pointless.

And I never said I knew nothing about him. I freely admitted I didn't study him leading up the draft. I know plenty: He is a 4-3 OLB that played under 240 pounds in college and has great speed with natural coverage abilities. Name me the last converted SS that played inside backer in a 3-4?

Again, as I stated who cares how much studying one does if the pick is a bad fit. If we had picked a TE or kicker or QB are those good picks at 40 for this team? If so, why not? We just picked up a non-starting nickel backer at pick 40 and if you don't think that is a bad pick you really, truly must love them all.

The hilarity is no one can make a valid argument for why he is a good pick. They can offer up conjecture: he will be great one day just watch or the staid he was the highest rated guy which means absolutely nothing about how he fits the actual team.

The last 2 WILB for Ryan

Kirk Morrison 6'2 240

D Jackson 6'0 240

Both were projected as 4-3 LB's going into the draft, I think Carter fits in very well.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
jterrell;3933909 said:
Please go see the wizard and get a brain.

You still haven't made a single point. SDogo absolutely did but in 20 posts on the subject you have made zero.

A guy who admits he eats McDonalds every day and was injured so couldn't work out for a quite a while gains 6 pounds before the NFL combine and he can now add weight without problem?

You have proved by now you know nothing of this player and of being a football player at all. Have you ever been in a team weigh program of any kind? Ever known any college player preparing for the NFL draft?

It is quite clear you are talking out of your behind.

Im sorry.. you must have missed when i said we're done here.

I've made more than enough valid points as to why its a good pick, you choose to ignore information because you're a stooge, so be my guest. Good day sir.