Twitter: CB/S Obi Melifonwu is visiting Cowboys

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Jimmy spends his time now in pursuit of Wahoo. His record as coach of the cowboys restored a sense of pride to cowboy fans. We were fortunate to have had him as our coach.

Sure enough, without him we would still be stuck at 2 SB's. We have seen what has happened since his departure. Luckly the Tuna took control of the ship and guided us back to the middle of the ocean for safety but now red is leading the ship back to sinking like the Titanic.

rags747

Reaction score
Yeah, let's review the reasons why he left the places that he was a "short timer" at.

Oklahoma State - was the head coach there from 1979 until 1983. He left......for a better job. No one in his position would have stayed.
Miami - was the head coach there from 1984 until 1988. He left......for a more prestigious job. No one in his position would have stayed, especially with the contract he got.
Dallas - was the head coach there from 1989 until 1994. He left.....because the owner ultimately fired him.
Miami - was the head coach there from 1996 until 1999. He left.....because he burned out and didn't want to coach anymore.

He hasn't coached in the NFL since Miami. Aside from the Cowboy situation, which both sides bear some blame, can you point to a team that he left that was not for a good reason?
  • Dallas you could say that he was burned out as well. From everything that I have read over the years that candle was burning at both ends full bore under Johnson. The players certainly were feeling it, Johnson was certainly feeling it and Jerry was certainly feeling it as well. Great great times from 89 on but something had to give.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Yeah 'ole Jimmy sure set the world on fire after he left Dallas and went to Miami. Jimmy was a great coach, but he obviously never had to deal with the salary cap and FA defections which are all to commonplace.

Are you really a Cowboys fan???

How do you like the last 3 Lombardi’s?

_sturt_

Reaction score
Things that make you go hmmmmm....

Yesterday came and went, and we're well into today... no news on Obi and the Patriots.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
This is the reason why I always liked Obi at CB. Simplify the game for him, play him on TEs (Byron 2.0), or man up on the outside...play to his strengths. CJ Goodwin was a CB, so hopefully that's where they see Obi, if signed.

Don't like him at FS/SS cause he doesn't tackle like a Safety, so he's not one (see Byron Jones). Just like Darian Thompson, I see this defense as a great situation for Obi. Just remember, Richard had Brandon Browner...
I thought the same thing. Melifonwu has the same dimensions as Browner but he's faster. Should be a press and run CB instead of a meh safety.

Carson

Reaction score
I thought the same thing. Melifonwu has the same dimensions as Browner but he's faster. Should be a press and run CB instead of a meh safety.

Agreed. He was recruited as a CB. If you watch his old film and plays, he has solid hips and movements. (From the limited I saw, was pretty solid. But that was a small sample not 4 years worth of games).

Should be the next step

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Agreed. He was recruited as a CB. If you watch his old film and plays, he has solid hips and movements. (From the limited I saw, was pretty solid. But that was a small sample not 4 years worth of games).

Should be the next step
Jones has been playing prime Richard Sherman ball so far this year minus the interceptions. I wish we had that bookend big press corner like Browner/Maxwell and make Awuzie a slot. He'd be one of the best slots in the league. We don't currently have a reliable slot right now.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Jones has been playing prime Richard Sherman ball so far this year minus the interceptions. I wish we had that bookend big press corner like Browner/Maxwell and make Awuzie a slot. He'd be one of the best slots in the league. We don't currently have a reliable slot right now.
Yep. Awuzie played a high percentage of plays at slot CB.

Obi tripping tho going to visit NE. IMO DAL is a better place to develop, but NE can give him big game experience and shine (see Malcolm Butler).

Johnny23

Reaction score
Yeah, let's review the reasons why he left the places that he was a "short timer" at.

Oklahoma State - was the head coach there from 1979 until 1983. He left......for a better job. No one in his position would have stayed.
Miami - was the head coach there from 1984 until 1988. He left......for a more prestigious job. No one in his position would have stayed, especially with the contract he got.
Dallas - was the head coach there from 1989 until 1994. He left.....because the owner ultimately fired him.
Miami - was the head coach there from 1996 until 1999. He left.....because he burned out and didn't want to coach anymore.

He hasn't coached in the NFL since Miami. Aside from the Cowboy situation, which both sides bear some blame, can you point to a team that he left that was not for a good reason?

Jimmy conveniently left but Oklahoma State and Miami before his roll in wide spread NCAA rules violations were found. He got out when the getting was good. The Thurman Thomas, Barry Sanders Mike Gundy Ok state teams resurrected the program after sanctions.

At Miami it was Jimmy who enabled the cheating and greatest example of defrauding of the us government and near Death Penalty of Da U when they finally got caught. He left Miami as Miami's thuggish black hat villiany was causing a probe by the NCAA and he was found out. His buddy Jerry Jones bailed him out and Denis Erickson was there to get his proverbial bacon cooked.

He never left quietly amd were there was se there is fire. It's been a quarter century since he coached a game here. Lets look at him honestly.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
Yep. Awuzie played a high percentage of plays at slot CB.

Obi tripping tho going to visit NE. IMO DAL is a better place to develop, but NE can give him big game experience and shine (see Malcolm Butler).
Ne can give him the opportunity to ride the pine and compete for an AFC championship game. More prestigious than anything jerruh can offer

coult44

Reaction score
Sure enough, without him we would still be stuck at 2 SB's. We have seen what has happened since his departure. Luckly the Tuna took control of the ship and guided us back to the middle of the ocean for safety but now red is leading the ship back to sinking like the Titanic.

What did Tuna do that was any different than any other coach we've had in 24 years? I like BP, huge fan, he's an all time great. But in he end, ZERO championships in Dallas.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
What did Tuna do that was any different than any other coach we've had in 24 years? I like BP, huge fan, he's an all time great. But in he end, ZERO championships in Dallas.

With were we was before to get us to even being competitive are you kidding me. From the Campos and Gailey days to the PO and that roster before he got there could not beat my high school team.