Twitter: CB/S Obi Melifonwu is visiting Cowboys

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
The guy's short history in the NFL is he can't play a lick. The only reason I'm even slightly intrigued is Kris Richard possibly coaching him up. That's it. Honestly he'd be better served giving his career a chance in NE under the tutelage of Belichek.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I don't consider the Raiders cutting him as any negative on him. Gruden has quickly turned that team into a dumpster fire while he exercises his dictatorial iron grip.

Having said that however, I'm not interested in paying big money to a guy who's done nothing but get injured at this level. He's in prove it mode at this point, whether he wants to accept that fact or not, the onus is on him. So if he's looking for yet another unearned payday, he can find that elsewhere. If he wants a chance to restart his career? Give us a call.

Yes to the second part.

And slight disagreement on the first, though... there was no clear and compelling reason for Gruden to release him... it's not like he had guys in front of him on the depth chart that are young and talented... no reason for Gruden to not just leave him on IR for the year if it was just about the kid's health, and seemingly more advantageous to just hold on and see if he would win a job next year.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I believe you are referring to Bobby Carpenter with

"Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."[

Yes?

He was surely one of the most prominent. There've been many others to fit that description.

I'm certain every team sees one from time to time. It's a pretty common expression, I guess.

Not too sure but Bobby may have been the first to have the media describe him in that way.

Last edited:

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
How does a 2017 second round pick with no criminal issues get cut already?

Because it didnt take long to realize the dude sucks...……...he is the textbook definition of a workout warrior, scored in the 99th percentile of just about every drill at the combine but when he puts the pads on he looks like he has never played the game before.

It like having a $250,000 Porshe sitting in your driveway with 4 flat tires...……….pretty to look at, but serves no practical purpose.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
I don't consider the Raiders cutting him as any negative on him. Gruden has quickly turned that team into a dumpster fire while he exercises his dictatorial iron grip.

Having said that however, I'm not interested in paying big money to a guy who's done nothing but get injured at this level. He's in prove it mode at this point, whether he wants to accept that fact or not, the onus is on him. So if he's looking for yet another unearned payday, he can find that elsewhere. If he wants a chance to restart his career? Give us a call.

I think we are looking at more of a minimum type deal with Obi right?

He was cut and went unclaimed on a contract that would have averaged out to $950k cap hit this year and the next two year.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Because it didnt take long to realize the dude sucks...……...he is the textbook definition of a workout warrior, scored in the 99th percentile of just about every drill at the combine but when he puts the pads on he looks like he has never played the game before.

It like having a $250,000 Porshe sitting in your driveway with 4 flat tires...……….pretty to look at, but serves no practical purpose.

You were able to determine this in 34 snaps, that you likely didnt watch?

That's insanely impressive.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Jimmy Johnson wouldn't be able to be Jimmy Johnson under this CBA.
That's da facts.
Yep. Jimmy Johnson is dumb and completely incapable of adjusting. I get it.

Maybe less of a "fact" and more of a guess on your part Corso?

Reactions: BAT

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

We really don't know what Jimmy was capable of over time. He never stayed anywhere long enough to find out.

Plankton

Reaction score
We really don't know what Jimmy was capable of over time. He never stayed anywhere long enough to find out.

Yeah, let's review the reasons why he left the places that he was a "short timer" at.

Oklahoma State - was the head coach there from 1979 until 1983. He left......for a better job. No one in his position would have stayed.
Miami - was the head coach there from 1984 until 1988. He left......for a more prestigious job. No one in his position would have stayed, especially with the contract he got.
Dallas - was the head coach there from 1989 until 1994. He left.....because the owner ultimately fired him.
Miami - was the head coach there from 1996 until 1999. He left.....because he burned out and didn't want to coach anymore.

He hasn't coached in the NFL since Miami. Aside from the Cowboy situation, which both sides bear some blame, can you point to a team that he left that was not for a good reason?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

You think the Asthma Field would fly today?
You think his ways would fly today? Under this CBA?

Only one coach coaches like Jimmy today and that's because he gets Gregg Popovich treatment for winning so much. And that coach has his own personal Tim Duncan to help also.
Why is it that no other coach really coaches like the guy everyone wants as their head coach?

Because they can't get away with it.

So, yes, maybe a guess, but a damn good one homie.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
miami-oklahoma-rivalry.jpg

JimmyJohnsonSuperBowlXXVII2.jpg

johnson-jimmy-gatorade.jpg

jday

Reaction score

Nope...not a guess...Corso's right...Jimmy's way would not fly in today's NFL.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yes to the second part.

And slight disagreement on the first, though... there was no clear and compelling reason for Gruden to release him... it's not like he had guys in front of him on the depth chart that are young and talented... no reason for Gruden to not just leave him on IR for the year if it was just about the kid's health, and seemingly more advantageous to just hold on and see if he would win a job next year.

I view it as a control thing and a dictator showing his dominance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think we are looking at more of a minimum type deal with Obi right?

He was cut and went unclaimed on a contract that would have averaged out to $950k cap hit this year and the next two year.

That would be my thought.

jjktkk

Reaction score

Yeah 'ole Jimmy sure set the world on fire after he left Dallas and went to Miami. Jimmy was a great coach, but he obviously never had to deal with the salary cap and FA defections which are all to commonplace.