Twitter: CB/S Obi Melifonwu is visiting Cowboys

Pants

Reaction score
Obi: "Thank God they cut me. I could not play for that clown Gruden."
Richard: (waves hand across Obi's vision) "You will dispense with the Gruden comments."
Obi: "I will stop talking about Gruden."
Richard: (waves again) "You will give the effort of and play like Byron Jones."
Obi: "I will give the effort of and play like Byron Jones."
'Zone: "This is not the safety you have been looking for."
Richard: (waves middle finger at Cowboyszone) "You will agree to give this guy a chance. I will fix him. This is the safety that you have been looking for in the bottom 10 of our roster."
'Zone: "We will give Obi a chance, he is better than the bottom 10 on this roster."
Richard: (muses to himself) "Man, I didn't say 'better'...but I will take it, DC '19, here I come!"

_sturt_

Reaction score
Looking for someone to pay him a salary while he heals up instead of the other way around, probably.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Looking for someone to pay him a salary while he heals up instead of the other way around, probably.

He's had 10 months to rehab -- not sure how long it takes to overcome hip surgery. I'm sure it takes time, though. We'll see.

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm sure it varies, and I'm sure McClay and the others wanted to eyeball his progress. Those are the two things I'm sure of.

lostar2009

Reaction score
I imagine Dallas gave him a modest offer that didn't suit his "druthers."

I wonder if he'll return. Other teams will be leery, too.

"Looks like Tarzan, plays like Jane."

What do you think he can be offer? He is an unproven rookie that was cut his second season. I'm sure what the Cowboys was offering was probably more than what he was going to make the second year of a rookie deal.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I'm sure it varies, and I'm sure McClay and the others wanted to eyeball his progress. Those are the two things I'm sure of.

The team said he looked good before leaving, although Oakland thought the same until they didn't. ;)

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
What do you think he can be offer? He is an unproven rookie that was cut his second season. I'm sure what the Cowboys was offering was probably more than what he was going to make the second year of a rookie deal.

Hard to say, although evidently, it was modest enough to convince him to pack up his stuff and leave. :muttley:

He was injured so much while in Oakland that they never actually had a chance to find out what he could do.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I agree he looked like a keeper in the Senior Bowl. I have my doubts about him now but the coaches have their butts in a sling and will most likely be gone if things do not turn around. I know they will be turning over every stone if they expect to be here in 2019.

******....Couldn't close the deal.:banghead:

This should tell you everything you need to know....

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/10/patriots-meet-with-former-raiders-s-obi-melifonwu

Patriots don't wanna see this kid sign w/ a playoff contender...He's the matchup vs Gronk they don't want to see. What's the best way to prevent that? Sign him yourself...keep him away from other teams....;)

Quit being cheap Jerry...You are already pot committed for this season. You make every move you can that makes sense. This league is about matchups. And if you think Jeff Heath is gonna cover Gronk...good luck w/ that.:rolleyes:

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'm happy if he comes here eventually, but I'm not going to be upset if he doesn't... classic case of "potential means you haven't done anything yet," and his release from a 1 win team that isn't exactly stacked with young safety talent suggests he's either not healthy or he's a headcase. Or both. I'll grant the benefit of a doubt that he's just not yet back physically, though he obviously would love for someone to go ahead and commit a roster slot to signing him to see if he can get there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm happy if he comes here eventually, but I'm not going to be upset if he doesn't... classic case of "potential means you haven't done anything yet," and his release from a 1 win team that isn't exactly stacked with young safety talent suggests he's either not healthy or he's a headcase. Or both. I'll grant the benefit of a doubt that he's just not yet back physically, though he obviously would love for someone to go ahead and commit a roster slot to signing him to see if he can get there.

I don't consider the Raiders cutting him as any negative on him. Gruden has quickly turned that team into a dumpster fire while he exercises his dictatorial iron grip.

Having said that however, I'm not interested in paying big money to a guy who's done nothing but get injured at this level. He's in prove it mode at this point, whether he wants to accept that fact or not, the onus is on him. So if he's looking for yet another unearned payday, he can find that elsewhere. If he wants a chance to restart his career? Give us a call.