CBA news

BatteryPowered

Reaction score
This is a good point. You figure, this is also when College Basketball starts really getting good. It would probably have an effect there as well.

People seem to be ignoring that the 17th game comes with the dropping of two pre-season games. If you start the pre-season at the exact same time, but drop two of the four games you free up two weeks. The Super Bowl WOULD NOT need to be pushed back. Week one of the regular season would be the week we currently have pre-season game #3.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
People seem to be ignoring that the 17th game comes with the dropping of two pre-season games. If you start the pre-season at the exact same time, but drop two of the four games you free up two weeks. The Super Bowl WOULD NOT need to be pushed back. Week one of the regular season would be the week we currently have pre-season game #3.

Yeah, that's not going to help things IMO but whatever. I do agree, however, that people probably are not factoring that in but perhaps it's because the players are not for that. You are basically trying to drop conditioning weeks in exchange for real game situations. I believe I saw a stat that suggested the chances of injury for players are increased by 15% so I'm not real sure that's going to be a real option at this point. I haven't heard that this has been agreed upon. IDK.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
No punishment for pot use in the NFL? If only all employers were that lenient.

conner01

Reaction score
This is a good point. You figure, this is also when College Basketball starts really getting good. It would probably have an effect there as well.
It’s complicated but I think the league really wants that extra game more than anything
That opens up the opportunity to redo the tv deal which is the main driver of revenue
They also see Sunday ticket as a option for increasing revenue
The opportunity to expand that to everyone seems like a logical move
Limiting it to direct customers and direct losing customers is bad business
Having it availible as a streaming service available to millions more seems like a smart way to go

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It’s complicated but I think the league really wants that extra game more than anything
That opens up the opportunity to redo the tv deal which is the main driver of revenue
They also see Sunday ticket as a option for increasing revenue
The opportunity to expand that to everyone seems like a logical move
Limiting it to direct customers and direct losing customers is bad business
Having it availible as a streaming service available to millions more seems like a smart way to go

They do but that may not be what happens. The Direct TV folks will have a say in this as well. So will the players. The money has to be there and even that may not be enough, hard to tell at this point.

conner01

Reaction score
They do but that may not be what happens. The Direct TV folks will have a say in this as well. So will the players. The money has to be there and even that may not be enough, hard to tell at this point.
I believe the contract with direct is expiring
When signed that contract had really no competition because only them and dish had the ability
Now dozens of streaming services will be competing for the contract. They have bigger audiences but at the very least competition will drive up the price
YouTube, yahoo, Netflix and others are positioned to reach bigger audiences than direct has. Direct has 16.8 million customers compared to a company like Netflix that has 150 million
The NFL I thinks sees international growth very important as they chase more revenue and a worldwide streaming service fits with that
To me if the nfl went to the networks with same 16 games and no change they can’t get more revenue. Network viewership isn’t growing
But a game could be something that gives them the ability to ask for more money

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I believe the contract with direct is expiring
When signed that contract had really no competition because only them and dish had the ability
Now dozens of streaming services will be competing for the contract. They have bigger audiences but at the very least competition will drive up the price
YouTube, yahoo, Netflix and others are positioned to reach bigger audiences than direct has. Direct has 16.8 million customers compared to a company like Netflix that has 150 million
The NFL I thinks sees international growth very important as they chase more revenue and a worldwide streaming service fits with that
To me if the nfl went to the networks with same 16 games and no change they can’t get more revenue. Network viewership isn’t growing
But a game could be something that gives them the ability to ask for more money

I get all this but at this point, none of it is anything more then discussion point because none of it has been agreed upon. Still a long way to go on this IMO and no guarantee it will actually get done or not.

I will add this, I am not really interested in seeing another game added to the schedule with less practice time. It translate into inferior football IMO. Way too much of that already IMO. But again, that's just my own opinion.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Apparently the sticking point on why this hasnt been signed is the 17th game added, but not the game itself but owners not wanting a 2nd bye week.

Whats basically been agreed to is:
Nearly wiping out any punishment for Marijuana use. Im guessing this means only punishment would be for arrests.
Slightly ups the revenue split for players
Increase in minimum salaries and spending floors
Adjustments to the franchise tag and 5th yr options

As of right now that there is no agreement, teams can use the franchise tag and transition tag but cant designate anybody for a post june 1 cut.

I don't get not wanting the 2nd bye week. Gives them an extra week of NFL Games, allows teams to get more healthy as well.

conner01

Reaction score
I get all this but at this point, none of it is anything more then discussion point because none of it has been agreed upon. Still a long way to go on this IMO and no guarantee it will actually get done or not.

I will add this, I am not really interested in seeing another game added to the schedule with less practice time. It translate into inferior football IMO. Way too much of that already IMO. But again, that's just my own opinion.
I don’t like another game, don’t like eliminating a pre season game, or international games myself
Just saying the league is looking for more revenue and those are the ideas they have to get it
I think 16 is enough games
I think pre season is important for the bottom of your roster

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I don’t like another game, don’t like eliminating a pre season game, or international games myself
Just saying the league is looking for more revenue and those are the ideas they have to get it
I think 16 is enough games
I think pre season is important for the bottom of your roster

Me either Conner. I think it just adds to the deterioration of the quality of the sport. JMO