CBS: Dak and projected 2020 franchise tag of $32.5M

Swagger

Reaction score
Has it actually registered with people that should Prescott be signed to a $35-40 million a year contract that we will lose good players longer term!?

Russell Wilson and Carson Wentz showed that they deserved their money this season by carrying their teams to winning football matches and reaching the play offs.

Prescott was unable to do the same.

An intelligent business person looking at the numbers might ask the question, how many games would a rookie QB have won with this team this season? Would they have been unable to guide the team to at least 8 wins...

Swagger

Reaction score
Well, stat padding and garbage time stats were good enough for Romo. He was a master of carving defenses up when they played prevent in the 4th.

I'm not comparing with Romo.

I'm looking forwards and I want the Cowboys to win a Superbowl.

The blueprint in recent years has been to build a Superbowl calibre team around a QB on a rookie deal unless you have a game changer QB on a decent enough deal - Prescott isn't a game changer.

Further, I think I would prefer to have a good QB on a rookie deal either way as it just gives you so much leverage to strengthen other positions

zeke21

Reaction score
You do know that just cause your drafted top 15 doesn’t mean your a stud ... just ask Cleveland and Jets about Mayfield and Darnold ... hell even ask Chicago about Trubisky
Mayfield on this team would be a star.. seriously.. Browns are a QB grave yard. Darnold is playing behind the weakest Oline in football and has still done enough to lift the jets to 7-6 and need I remind you that he beat us this year.

I'm sorry but I'm so sick of people not recognising reality. Dak has been gifted a top 3 level offence and has struggled. The guys that you mention have been drafted to the worst teams in football.. often have no help, no running game, no oline..bad coaching and everything else stacked against them.

Yes drafting QBs is not an exact science but that doesn't mean all blue chip prospects have been flops.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Mayfield on this team would be a star.. seriously.. Browns are a QB grave yard. Darnold is playing behind the weakest Oline in football and has still done enough to lift the jets to 7-6 and need I remind you that he beat us this year.

I'm sorry but I'm so sick of people not recognising reality. Dak has been gifted a top 3 level offence and has struggled. The guys that you mention have been drafted to the worst teams in football.. often have no help, no running game, no oline..bad coaching and everything else stacked against them.

Yes drafting QBs is not an exact science but that doesn't mean all blue chip prospects have been flops.
Baker should have been a star this year with the Browns. He is garbage and was the weak link on that offense.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
This is thing about Dak. If you decide to move away from him, you now have to go into QB search mode and that is a daunting difficult task. We were spoiled with Romo and to a degree Dak but for each one of them there are 10 Quincy Carter's. Anyone remember those days? How about some Chad Hutchinson? That gap between Aikman and Romo was brutal.

So you have to ask yourself can you win with Dak if he has top shelf talent around him? Would a better defense and better play calling on offense or just plain better coaching in general make it work?

He's neither as bad or as good as most folks describe on this board, he's probably square in the middle somewhere.

The good news is, I can find better qb’s than dak at multiple local high schools

Swagger

Reaction score

I agree about Darnold. He has had to play behind an awful offensive line and his best receiver missed the entire season. Some will view him as a bust without considering his circumstances. If Prescott got drafted by the Jets he would probably already be out of the league!

Silverz1972

Reaction score
Smarter to sign him to the non-exclusive tag. It’s only about 26 million and we get to see his real value on the market which will help with the long term contract. If no one bites with him at $26 million that just proves that his real value is actually much lower than he and his contract think.

zeke21

Reaction score
Baker should have been a star this year with the Browns. He is garbage and was the weak link on that offense.
I disagree. Browns were a mess this year. You think Garrett was bad? OBJ was doing what he does which is not helpful..

Mayfield had an average of 2.3 seconds pocket time.. equal DEAD LAST in the league.. Dak was equal second longest..

but yeah don't let that disturb you. I seriously wonder if dak lovers actually watch other games.. QBs are getting slaughtered out there week in and week out... is Jones the worst fumbler in history or just he just get smashed every second play by FREE pass rushers..

Like I said.. Mayfield is actually a very good QB and on a good team (see Tannehill for the difference a team can make) he would be a star. Conversely send Dak behind that browns oline.. with that back field and receiver core... good luck. good luck.

Proof

Reaction score
You do know that just cause your drafted top 15 doesn’t mean your a stud ... just ask Cleveland and Jets about Mayfield and Darnold ... hell even ask Chicago about Trubisky

Im not sure what your point is in relation to my post. Burrows is a stud (imo) because of his talent and college career, not because of where he’s going to be drafted. But forget the wording and rephrase to they’d prefer to have burrows for five years on a rookie deal

zeke21

Reaction score
I agree about Darnold. He has had to play behind an awful offensive line and his best receiver missed the entire season. Some will view him as a bust without considering his circumstances. If Prescott got drafted by the Jets he would probably already be out of the league!
I don't know whether these dak fans just don't want to see it.. or just have no idea about football.. like I genuinely don't know. Dak wouldn't even have been heard of if not for the extraordinary set of circumstances that led to him starting and then the dumbest decision in football to keep him as the starter.

Right now Dak should be a Cassell/Bridgewater like footnote of history.. a guy that came in his rookie year and won some games. the perfect back up QB.. the guy that we can trade on the back a few good games he played three years ago for an inflated price.

He starts on most other teams and he is run out of the league Tebow style.

Swagger

Reaction score
I don't know whether these dak fans just don't want to see it.. or just have no idea about football.. like I genuinely don't know. Dak wouldn't even have been heard of if not for the extraordinary set of circumstances that led to him starting and then the dumbest decision in football to keep him as the starter.

Right now Dak should be a Cassell/Bridgewater like footnote of history.. a guy that came in his rookie year and won some games. the perfect back up QB.. the guy that we can trade on the back a few good games he played three years ago for an inflated price.

He starts on most other teams and he is run out of the league Tebow style.

Completely agree.

I genuinely do not understand what some see in Prescott. He tries hard? He really wants to win? So did Tim Tebow...

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I disagree. Browns were a mess this year. You think Garrett was bad? OBJ was doing what he does which is not helpful..

Mayfield had an average of 2.3 seconds pocket time.. equal DEAD LAST in the league.. Dak was equal second longest..

but yeah don't let that disturb you. I seriously wonder if dak lovers actually watch other games.. QBs are getting slaughtered out there week in and week out... is Jones the worst fumbler in history or just he just get smashed every second play by FREE pass rushers..

Like I said.. Mayfield is actually a very good QB and on a good team (see Tannehill for the difference a team can make) he would be a star. Conversely send Dak behind that browns oline.. with that back field and receiver core... good luck. good luck.
So Chubb, Landry and OBJ aren’t enough weapons for him to not stink up the joint? Lol. He is trash. Put him in the QB graveyard already.

zeke21

Reaction score
So Chubb, Landry and OBJ aren’t enough weapons for him to not stink up the joint? Lol. He is trash. Put him in the QB graveyard already.
Legit question.. did you watch the browns play this season?

Seriously.. mayfield is not the problem on that team.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Legit question.. did you watch the browns play this season?

Seriously.. mayfield is not the problem on that team.
Yes. His offensive line is suspect but he does them no favors either and he is a turnover machine. He’s got a 2 cent brain. I do not get the love for the guy. He sucks

zeke21

Reaction score
Yes. His offensive line is suspect but he does them no favors either and he is a turnover machine. He’s got a 2 cent brain. I do not get the love for the guy. He sucks
This is the bit I don't get.. you can lay into Mayfield.. acknowledging he has a suspect line, weak run game and pathetic coaching.. but Dak is still elite?!

How about a quick comparison..
Dak - 65.1% pass completion, May - 59.4%
Dak - 30 TD, May 21
Dak - 11 Int, May 21
Dak 6 fumbles, 2 lost, May 6 fumbles and 2 lost

So with the 2nd best pass protection in the league vs the WORST pass protection in the league and dak complete 5% more passes and scored 9 more TDs.

I agree Mayfield turned it over.. and that has always been a 'dak stat' people cling too.. but some intercepts are worse than others.. they can be caused by bad receiver play, bad schemes and pressure in the pocket. You would expect the QB with more pressure in his face to throw more intercepts.. that is just plain logic.

But happy to disagree.. I think that, again, it highilghts Dak is just not that good. With all the advantages he delivered nothing.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
This is the bit I don't get.. you can lay into Mayfield.. acknowledging he has a suspect line, weak run game and pathetic coaching.. but Dak is still elite?!

How about a quick comparison..
Dak - 65.1% pass completion, May - 59.4%
Dak - 30 TD, May 21
Dak - 11 Int, May 21
Dak 6 fumbles, 2 lost, May 6 fumbles and 2 lost

So with the 2nd best pass protection in the league vs the WORST pass protection in the league and dak complete 5% more passes and scored 9 more TDs.

I agree Mayfield turned it over.. and that has always been a 'dak stat' people cling too.. but some intercepts are worse than others.. they can be caused by bad receiver play, bad schemes and pressure in the pocket. You would expect the QB with more pressure in his face to throw more intercepts.. that is just plain logic.

But happy to disagree.. I think that, again, it highilghts Dak is just not that good. With all the advantages he delivered nothing.
Weak running game? Chubb was the 2nd highest rusher in the league.

And I didn’t say Dak is elite. I am saying Baker sucks. It is amazing you can identify Dak’s warts but then turn around and see a diamond in a turd of a QB like Mayfield. It’s like people not liking Garrett and clamoring for mediocre Mike Zimmer. Makes zero sense.

zeke21

Reaction score
Weak running game? Chubb was the 2nd highest rusher in the league.

And I didn’t say Zeke is elite. I am saying Baker sucks. It is amazing you can identify Dak’s warts but then turn around and see a diamond in a turd of a QB like Mayfield. It’s like people not liking Garrett and clamoring for mediocre Mike Zimmer. Makes zero sense.
Agree Chubb is a great RB. His play is awesome. Their overall running game is weak and his stats have mainly come when defences are giving up the runs to cover what they perceive to be the bigger threat of the long passing game. That is because whether you like him or not (and can be totally cool with you not liking him) mayfield has an arm.. he is a deep ball threat on every play. Teams do not key onto Chubb in the same way they key onto Zeke.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Agree Chubb is a great RB. His play is awesome. Their overall running game is weak and his stats have mainly come when defences are giving up the runs to cover what they perceive to be the bigger threat of the long passing game. That is because whether you like him or not (and can be totally cool with you not liking him) mayfield has an arm.. he is a deep ball threat on every play. Teams do not key onto Chubb in the same way they key onto Zeke.
I’d like to see what Chubb could do behind our line. Zeke has enjoyed a great line.

zeke21

Reaction score
I’d like to see what Chubb could do behind our line. Zeke has enjoyed a great line.
Very much so. I'm an unashamed Zeke fan but I would take Chubb in a heartbeat.. very much so. Behind our line.. the guy would be explosive.